proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

OOW: Suspension will be my first mod.

UPDATE 1/3/20: The B16D has been installed. The car feels very engaged and sporty. The luxury of comfort mode is gone. It's more like Sport,Sport+, and Sport++.

UPDATE 12/15/19: I ordered Bilstein B16 Damptronic.

FYI: First post since my e36 m3 days on bimmeforums.com

Hello M3/M4 Suspension Guys,
After much thought, I'm going KW DDC or MP HAS as my first mod for my car.

I have 66K Miles, and the only thing to fatigue with this car is my suspension and front brakes.
Shit feels like a boat, previously it felt pretty fucking good. I just got my last in-warranty service done at 60k, they did the brakes and now its my turn to do work.

My goal is to have EDC work at a higher level for each setting for the next 30-50k miles (Comfort, Sport, Sport +) and the car to have a similar stance ratio as stock .

If I go MP HAS, I'm thinking I need at the very least better shocks/struts to compliment the situation. If I go KW DDC are all my bases covered or should I consider replacing some other parts too?

If I go MP HAS, what else should I change while I'm down there?

If I go KW DDC, what else should I change while I'm down there?

Give me some feedback and direct me ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by harjot.hans; 01-03-2020 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

To me the choice is very easy. If the car feels like a boat now it will not be better with just springs. It will be worse. Buy a good colover suspension and be done with it. If you go with springs only you will just sit there and get a more bouncy car and Think about the suspension you COULD have. So cry once and pay up for a good coilover kit. Good suspension is Worth more than anything else. Good luck! And if there is no clunking or play in any suspension parts i would leave that for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

I decided b16 damptronic. Now I want to just take care of my loose suspension and steering once and for all.

What else should I replace as maintenance?

67k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Steering has lots of play.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

You looking to track?

If so, maybe upgrade the front thrust arm bushings, and throw on some rear adjustable toe links (eg, Fall Line). The former may help steering feel some from what I gather (I have the Rogue Street version waiting to be installed in the spring), but combined with the Bilstein's it maybe too much NVH for the street, depending on your tolerance. If tracking, then might as well thrown in camber plates while you're at it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

... and also consider getting someone to code you the GTS steering and MDM calibrations
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Primarily daily drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjot.hans View Post
Steering has lots of play.
Gts steering coding definitely helps. After b16 damptronic is installed you will feel improvements to steering too.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so the steering play doesn't necessarily indicate I got bad tie rods, joints, or anything else.

b16 and some nice codes might fix everything?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok so the steering play doesn't necessarily indicate I got bad tie rods, joints, or anything else.

b16 and some nice codes might fix everything?
I wouldn't say it's gonna fix everything because these is no cure to the electrical steering that's on our cars. However a decent suspension and some coding definitely helps

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #11
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok.
I'm just concerned about other maintenance stuff that I'll have access to that needs to be done when I'm working on the coil-over install. I dont want to go back in 2 months later changing out a tie rod or something ya know.

I plan on doing this myself using some videos on the net.

looks like a strong video ^
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #12
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Just installed B16's on my F82 & love the feel so far! Switching between the settings, I find Sport to be very planted & nimble while maintaining a smooth drive. Couldn't be happier! All the previous reviews are very spot on in regards to a different feel in steering & overall quality.

These coilovers don't slam the car as much as KW V3's but rather give the car a very nice track stance imo.

All in all, I highly suggest B16's for anyone who is looking to keep the EDC functionality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #13
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakashiSenpai View Post
Just installed B16's on my F82 & love the feel so far! Switching between the settings, I find Sport to be very planted & nimble while maintaining a smooth drive. Couldn't be happier! All the previous reviews are very spot on in regards to a different feel in steering & overall quality.

These coilovers don't slam the car as much as KW V3's but rather give the car a very nice track stance imo.

All in all, I highly suggest B16's for anyone who is looking to keep the EDC functionality.
I had b16 on my car until it threw me a fault code. Before that I always felt they are a tad too firm. I started to think if it was because my suspension was faulty from the beginning and always kept me in sport+ mode. How comfortable do you rate this suspension when it's in comfort mode?

BTW: I love your username, Kakashi Sensei!

Appreciate 1
      12-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #14
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjypm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakashiSenpai View Post

I had b16 on my car until it threw me a fault code. Before that I always felt they are a tad too firm. I started to think if it was because my suspension was faulty from the beginning and always kept me in sport+ mode. How comfortable do you rate this suspension when it's in comfort mode?

BTW: I love your username, Kakashi Sensei!
To be honest after switching between comfort & sport I simply find sport to be more "planted" & soaks up the crappy back roads around me a lot easier. I came from KW V3's on my previous car. I had the car really low & switching now to a platform with EDC is already a major difference I never felt before with comfort.

I guess because of my previous set up I'd tend to lean more toward the side of a firm ride. But I don't see myself driving in comfort more than sport or sport plus.

Not trying to disregard comfort at all, in some moments (since I really only had this new suspension for less than a week), I can see myself preferring a more marshmallow feeling after driving for an extended period.

My girlfriend actually drove my previous set up (KW V3's), stock suspension & now B16, and she agreed that she prefers sport for similar reasons.

Thanks for the feedback on the username! Most people wouldn't understand lol!
Appreciate 1
yjypm219.00
      12-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Quote:
FYI: First post since my e36 m3 days on bimmeforums.com

Hello M3/M4 Suspension Guys,
After much thought, I'm going KW DDC or MP HAS as my first mod for my car.

I have 66K Miles, and the only thing to fatigue with this car is my suspension and front brakes.
Shit feels like a boat, previously it felt pretty fucking good. I just got my last in-warranty service done at 60k, they did the brakes and now its my turn to do work.

My goal is to have EDC work at a higher level for each setting for the next 30-50k miles (Comfort, Sport, Sport +) and the car to have a similar stance ratio as stock .

If I go MP HAS, I'm thinking I need at the very least better shocks/struts to compliment the situation. If I go KW DDC are all my bases covered or should I consider replacing some other parts too?

If I go MP HAS, what else should I change while I'm down there?

If I go KW DDC, what else should I change while I'm down there?

Give me some feedback and direct me ladies and gentlemen.

If you're concern about all the things you mentioned, then I would stay clear of the glorified KW HAS or the rebadge M HAS (Height Adjustable Springs) kit. Yes, the two are the same but different colors. One has the M Tax and the other without. Watch, I always get someone here that interjects because they're misinform for they paid twice as much with their MP HAS kit. I would go w/ the KW DDC because at the very least it replaces the oem shocks. GL
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #16
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for the help. B16 Damptronic has been ordered and will arrive later this week.

I went B16 for several reasons.
-Wanted to retain EDC
-Wanted dampers and spring replacements
-Wanted nice drop (( but not too low, sometimes I got riders in the back ))
-This random dude I messaged on instagram because he has b16s told me its awesome and I should just do it.

I'll find a shop in NorCal that can do GTS steering codes, CS suspension codes, and balancing/alignment stuff.

Other stuff:
My steering wheel is a little bit squeaky sometimes.
Should I consider..
-bushings?
-tie rods?
-balljoints?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Other stuff:
Should I consider..
-bushings?
-tie rods?
-balljoints?

Squeaky steering wheel? Might be something wrong with it. I have the front Fallline Mono Balls and that enhances the already great steering feel of the M3/M4. You'll hear a little humming noise from the cabin but now you're also more in tune with road. Funny, the brain is an amazing organ, it learns to tune it out in just a short period of time. I don't hear it anymore unless I think about it. For me, the trade off is worth it.
Adjustable Tire rods are among the other things that help the suspension geometry of your suspension when you lower it.
Ball Joints? It's possible we call it something else like bushings. Most guys here that track replace the front Steel Mono Balls, rear steel upper link steel bushings. For some and not myself have change and the replace oem rubber bushings with Polyurethane. Ex, the differential rubber bushings with polyurethane. GL
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 02:39 AM   #18
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for the help. B16 Damptronic has been ordered and will arrive later this week.

I went B16 for several reasons.
-Wanted to retain EDC
-Wanted dampers and spring replacements
-Wanted nice drop (( but not too low, sometimes I got riders in the back ))
-This random dude I messaged on instagram because he has b16s told me its awesome and I should just do it.

I'll find a shop in NorCal that can do GTS steering codes, CS suspension codes, and balancing/alignment stuff.

Other stuff:
Should I consider..
-bushings?
-tie rods?
-balljoints?
@PandaxF82 has b16 damptronic with cs edc coding for months. He's on Instagram as well with the same username.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 02:42 AM   #19
PandaxF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M4 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
🙋🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #20
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Other stuff:
Should I consider..
-bushings?
-tie rods?
-balljoints?

Squeaky steering wheel? Might be something wrong with it. I have the front Fallline Mono Balls and that enhances the already great steering feel of the M3/M4. You'll hear a little humming noise from the cabin but now you're also more in tune with road. Funny, the brain is an amazing organ, it learns to tune it out in just a short period of time. I don't hear it anymore unless I think about it. For me, the trade off is worth it.
Adjustable Tire rods are among the other things that help the suspension geometry of your suspension when you lower it.
Ball Joints? It's possible we call it something else like bushings. Most guys here that track replace the front Steel Mono Balls, rear steel upper link steel bushings. For some and not myself have change and the replace oem rubber bushings with Polyurethane. Ex, the differential rubber bushings with polyurethane. GL

Anything you would do differently vs your signature on this topic? Heading here next after solving the seat issue.

Any track days scheduled?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #21
harjot.hans
Enlisted Member
Rep

See Update.
Appreciate 0