Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

M4 tyres

been offered an M4 , how noisey are they with Continental tyres, does anyone know. Had the M3 with MPSS and they were noisey as hell on some roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
been offered an M4 , how noisey are they with Continental tyres, does anyone know. Had the M3 with MPSS and they were noisey as hell on some roads.
      06-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Conti's are actually meant to be quieter than PSS.
I though so but need someone who has them to confirm.
      06-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

I have Contis on my non-CP M3 running 19s. Still under 800 miles. I was recently surprised by the amount of noise generated at 65-70mph but it was on concrete on bad sections of the M25.

Honestly, when I'm enjoying the drive, road noise is irrelevant as I don't notice it. I only noticed it this time because I was intentionally driving slow to let my 3 year old sleep and the level of noise was surprising.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
I have Contis on my non-CP M3 running 19s. Still under 800 miles. I was recently surprised by the amount of noise generated at 65-70mph but it was on concrete on bad sections of the M25.

Honestly, when I'm enjoying the drive, road noise is irrelevant as I don't notice it. I only noticed it this time because I was intentionally driving slow to let my 3 year old sleep and the level of noise was surprising.
thanks, the noise from MPSS was loud to say the least on concrete roads.
      06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
John 3:16
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe 2016

Garage List
2014 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:

I've Contis on my M4 and don't notice any road noise that makes me think its down to the Contis

J
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 3:16 View Post
Hi
Not even noticed or thought about it until ive seen some threads on here

I've Contis on my M4 and don't notice any road noise that makes me think its down to the Contis

J
good news.
      06-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Only one thing for it John, if you've been offered this M4, then go test drive it and see what you think.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Only one thing for it John, if you've been offered this M4, then go test drive it and see what you think.
yep if the price is right l will.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
M4Raaj
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D M Sport

Quote:
Conti do a range called Conti-silent which will be available for the M3 and M4. I went on a Conti event a few months back and they had them on a c63 and you can tell the difference. But to be fair you don't M cars and worry about road noise. The engine sound be enough. If your worried about this sort of thing then buy something with a deeper sidewall.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I have contis on my M3 they seem ok for nose but you're always going to get some due to the design of the M3/4.

I thought the OP had just taken delivery a few weeks ago of a new 435d?

Not getting on with it? I had the same issue with 335d and swapped back into another M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #12
DrEd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 DCT

Can't make a true comparison but coming from an F10 M5 with MPSS to an F80 M3 with Conti's, the tyre noise levels have risen markedly, to me at least. Admittedly the M5 has more sound deadening than the M3 and without trying an M3/4 with MPSS, I couldn't give my own definitive answer on this, but my first response would be - they are loud! The increased NVH of the M3 over the M5 adds to its rawness and for me, this not being an every day car, also adds to its appeal.

The Conti's do grip alright I have to say. Longevity however may be another matter...

Provided MPSS are available in the right sizes when time comes to replace the Conti's then I think this will be my choice. MPS4 seem to be Michelin's answer to their own goal of producing a tyre (MPSS) with excellent all round performance and amazing durability. The MPS4, by many accounts, has the performance of the MPSS but wear rates are more in line with their German rivals. The fact that the MPSS will in future only be available in a very limited range of sizes is perhaps telling.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:14 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEd View Post
Can't make a true comparison but coming from an F10 M5 with MPSS to an F80 M3 with Conti's, the tyre noise levels have risen markedly, to me at least. Admittedly the M5 has more sound deadening than the M3 and without trying an M3/4 with MPSS, I couldn't give my own definitive answer on this, but my first response would be - they are loud! The increased NVH of the M3 over the M5 adds to its rawness and for me, this not being an every day car, also adds to its appeal.

The Conti's do grip alright I have to say. Longevity however may be another matter...

Provided MPSS are available in the right sizes when time comes to replace the Conti's then I think this will be my choice. MPS4 seem to be Michelin's answer to their own goal of producing a tyre (MPSS) with excellent all round performance and amazing durability. The MPS4, by many accounts, has the performance of the MPSS but wear rates are more in line with their German rivals. The fact that the MPSS will in future only be available in a very limited range of sizes is perhaps telling.
Thanks for the info.
      06-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

my M4 came with contis, i havent noticed road noise to be an issue at all however traction isnt great in my opinion. im in the process of changing over to MPSS, currently have two MPSS on the front and the original contis on the rear (had a front puncture to used it as an excuse to change to MPSS). immediately i have noticed over steer is more prevalent as the fronts now grip more than the contis did meaning the rear loses traction more easily. that says it all to me that regardless of noise i want MPSS all round traction outweighs noise for me by a long way. im now proceeding to light up the tyres at every opportunity to wear out the rears and make the full MPSS changeover.
      06-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I've been impressed with the contis if I'm honest the car feels to have more traction than the previous M5 I had with mpss, I'm not sure which way I'll go when it comes to replacing them especially as the new CSC 6p are getting good reviews.
Appreciate 0