Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Strmtrpr_F80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F80

LED to xenon lights

My buddies car is going up for auction since it was totaled. My question if I swap him my xenons for his LEDs will he have any issue running them until he turns his car in. I know for the xenon ('15) to LED ('16) I need the harness and coding. Would he just need to code to xenons since the LED check might flag a fault for the car not have the LED lights. Wanted to know be for I take apart 2 cars. Also is it worth the upgrade for lighting reasons if I am eventually having bay optics upgrade them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 11:57 PM   #2
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strmtrpr_F80 View Post
My buddies car is going up for auction since it was totaled. My question if I swap him my xenons for his LEDs will he have any issue running them until he turns his car in. I know for the xenon ('15) to LED ('16) I need the harness and coding. Would he just need to code to xenons since the LED check might flag a fault for the car not have the LED lights. Wanted to know be for I take apart 2 cars. Also is it worth the upgrade for lighting reasons if I am eventually having bay optics upgrade them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Since no one else has replied, totally different electronic modules, connectors and harness wiring, not to mention the coding.

Worth it for you, if LED adaptive, yes. Worth it for him, probably not. But I’ve seen totaled auction cars with headlights in the interior.

Problem is, I’m sure his insurance probably has pics of the car and it’s damage.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
scosby
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 E46 M3

Quote:
Did you end up swapping and seeing if the car threw faults? If you did, were the xenons operable?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 05:22 AM   #4
Strmtrpr_F80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosby View Post
Quote:
Did you end up swapping and seeing if the car threw faults? If you did, were the xenons operable?

Car was totaled out. Before I was able to swap
The lights out.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 05:49 AM   #5
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Sounds like fraud.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 02:11 AM   #6
Strmtrpr_F80
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Sounds like fraud.
No, It was not. I mentioned it to him about swapping the lights. He was waiting to see what the insurance company was going to do about the car, whether to total or fix damages. Insurance called him a 3 weeks later, told him they were going to take the car and pay out. They took the car as is. He didn't have time to take off any of the parts he had on it. he didn't have the stock parts. I asked him about the lights and he said he forgot. Plus he a friend of mine where I live. hope that clears it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 02:14 AM   #7
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Sounds like fraud.
No, It was not. I mentioned it to him about swapping the lights. He was waiting to see what the insurance company was going to do about the car, whether to total or fix damages. Insurance called him a 3 weeks later, told him they were going to take the car and pay out. They took the car as is. He didn't have time to take off any of the parts he had on it. he didn't have the stock parts. I asked him about the lights and he said he forgot. Plus he a friend of mine where I live. hope that clears it up.
Pretty sure you can't just swap components off the car after the fact.

It was insured and totalled based on a certain condition, and you taking the LED lights and leaving lower-value Xenons in their place without disclosure or discussing with the insurance company sounds fraudulent to me.
Appreciate 1