European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

Removing the OPF/GPF with a midpipe?

It's been a month since I got my brand new 2019MY M4 Competition. The exhaust sound is completely ruining the whole experience to me. I can't get out of my head the gigantic difference that new piece of shit particle filter (2019MY+) is making on the exhaust sound.

Anyway, I don't know any shop in my country that know what they're doing so I'm not going to risk having some dumbo ruin my exhaust with mods.

I was thinking of purchasing a AA midpipe to remove the filter, but AFAIK I also need to disable it in the software. Is there any way of doing that? Maybe bootmod3 will release something soon (edit Nope, they won't.)?

Something has to be done, because I rather sell the car and buy a used 2018MY than continue like this.

I know it will fail emissions testing but I only have to do it in 4 years and then every 2 years, so I can just deal with it when I get there.

Last edited by Srac; 11-10-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Someone will come up with a fix in the near future i'm sure. Might be worth dropping Evolve an email to see if they have any thing in development? I know they are working on their own titanium exhaust so are probably well placed to understand exactly what's required and when it will likely be available.
In the short term enjoy the fact you haven't got the shitty weather we have here and can at least use the power available
      11-07-2018, 03:25 AM   #3
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

ac schnitzer do an axel back that will work with your exhaust. I had an X-Pipe in place of the centre resonator (as well as a secondary cat delete. A Remus centre pipe would be your best bet though as that just bolts on and then you have to clamp it on the rear! that way you'll have a complete section to fit come emission test time

http://www.remusuk.com/model.asp?id=...)%20M3&man=BMW

I wish I'd seen this before I had my exhaust done as it would have only cost a few hundred more and can easily put back to stock
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
ac schnitzer do an axel back that will work with your exhaust. I had an X-Pipe in place of the centre resonator (as well as a secondary cat delete. A Remus centre pipe would be your best bet though as that just bolts on and then you have to clamp it on the rear! that way you'll have a complete section to fit come emission test time

I wish I'd seen this before I had my exhaust done as it would have only cost a few hundred more and can easily put back to stock
Nice, it's definitely a option to consider. Thanks!

The car is definitely going to throw an error when I remove the particle filter. I searched online and couldn't find any solution for that yet, so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
Nice, it's definitely a option to consider. Thanks!

The car is definitely going to throw an error when I remove the particle filter. I searched online and couldn't find any solution for that yet, so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit more.
is it only a cat code or is there more too it than that? similar to diesels that need ad blue and if they run out they stop?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is what I have on mine right now and it sounds a bit raspy at some revs (but I think thats down to the secondary cat delete) any competent welder should be able to fit one for you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Last edited by chedixon; 11-08-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post

I contacted Remus and they said: "Yes it's possible to sell but this will not fit because of different diameter on tubes!"
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #9
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I contacted Remus and they said: "Yes it's possible to sell but this will not fit because of different diameter on tubes!"
you should be able to get a reducer for them to fit.

This is what remus supply with them in the USA
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=22

this is a ebay special
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/76MM-3-To-63MM-2-5-Stainless-Steel-SS-Flared-Exhaust-Reducer-Connector-Pipe/332417520811?hash=item4d65a0d4ab:g:elwAAOSw8b1Z6AU n:rk:38f:0

although have to check the remus exhaust is 3"

Last edited by dsmclark; 11-08-2018 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: add another link
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

To keep it legal but give it more voice....

PCW mods to OPF M4....

https://www.facebook.com/Paulscarwel...1112039639249/

Sounds lame with valves closed but much better with valves open...

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #11
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yesterday I schedule a service for the following:
  • DCT isn't working properly. They did a software update (apparently they release a new software every 2 months) and the problem persists. Might need a new DCT.
  • Some weird ass marks inside the headlights (see here).
  • A ton of annoying rattle noises.

While I was there I asked about the piece of shit particle filter. They said it will void the warranty if I remove it. Only way to try to improve the sound is to get a new exhaust system, so they also commented they're fairly certain BMW will release a new compatible MPE. Even if they do release a new MPE I refuse to buy it just as a matter of principle, if do buy a new exhaust it will be aftermarket.

Even with a new exhaust it will still sound much more muffled than previous model year without the filter.

All in all, this is very likely my 3rd and last BMW.
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      11-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #12
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I have a buddy with AA midpipes on his comp exhaust. Sound comes to life with valves left open. I had since installed AA midpipes to my MPE after hearing his. Huge differences... car roars now. My friend and I both have stock Down Pipes. No fault codes. Ive also been told it should still pass emissions.

Btw, MPE is one of the best sounding exhaust and most sought out for this car. Not exactly sure why you wouldnt consider it. It is also still considered aftermarket exhaust... and resale is good.

Last edited by Alvinized52; 11-10-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      11-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Quote:
While I was there I asked about the piece of shit particle filter. They said it will void the warranty if I remove it.
But did they mention if it would throw up a fault code? BMW will say that removing the ash tray will void the warranty. I think quite a few of us are very interested to see who the Guinea Pig is to remove it and see if there are any fault codes or warnings.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
I have a buddy with AA midpipes on his comp exhaust. Sound comes to life with valves left open. I had since installed AA midpipes to my MPE after hearing his. Huge differences... car roars now. My friend and I both have stock Down Pipes. No fault codes. Ive also been told it should still pass emissions.

Btw, MPE is one of the best sounding exhaust and most sought out for this car. Not exactly sure why you wouldnt consider it. It is also still considered aftermarket exhaust... and resale is good.
Your car (or your buddy's) doesn't have the particle filter.

I wouldn't consider the MPE because BMW can't expect to butcher the exhaust sound from one model year to another and then double dip by selling a new €6000 exhaust upgrade to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippee View Post
But did they mention if it would throw up a fault code? BMW will say that removing the ash tray will void the warranty. I think quite a few of us are very interested to see who the Guinea Pig is to remove it and see if there are any fault codes or warnings.
Yes he said very clearly that it will throw fault codes and warning lights
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

There are sensors up stream and down stream of the filter in the UK it'll also be an MOT failure.
      11-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
There are sensors up stream and down stream of the filter in the UK it'll also be an MOT failure.
I appreciate that but its understanding what those sensors are doing and how they trigger. If they are simply detecting a pressure build up as the filter collects particulates, at a given pressure they will send a signal to commence a regen (increase temp etc to burn out). If the ppf is removed, no pressure increase will be sensed so no regen will be initiated. If this is the case (doubtful), it could be as simple as a bridging device to continue sending a 'pressure normal' signal. Although Srac suggests BMW garage says it will throw up cautions and warning lights, I would be dubious that they would actually know unless theyve removed the sensor on a car. I'd assume the sensoring is similar if not the same as a diesel DPF. More research required
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate that but its understanding what those sensors are doing and how they trigger. If they are simply detecting a pressure build up as the filter collects particulates, at a given pressure they will send a signal to commence a regen (increase temp etc to burn out). If the ppf is removed, no pressure increase will be sensed so no regen will be initiated. If this is the case (doubtful), it could be as simple as a bridging device to continue sending a 'pressure normal' signal. Although Srac suggests BMW garage says it will throw up cautions and warning lights, I would be dubious that they would actually know unless theyve removed the sensor on a car. I'd assume the sensoring is similar if not the same as a diesel DPF. More research required
You might not like this reply but trying to make the S55 sound good is an object exercise in futility it is what it is, effective and workman like at best but it's never been or never will be a great sounding engine, I think the filter is doing you a favour.

You can make it louder but volume doesn't = sonorous quality like the S65, as far as the S55 is concerned it's best kept a bit quiet as it goes about it's work IMHO.
      11-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You might not like this reply but trying to make the S55 sound good is an object exercise in futility it is what it is, effective and workman like at best but it's never been or never will be a great sounding engine, I think the filter is doing you a favour.

You can make it louder but volume doesn't = sonorous quality like the S65, as far as the S55 is concerned it's best kept a bit quiet as it goes about it's work IMHO.
lol very true indeed! As it happens, my post ppf sounds ok. I had a few concerns prior to delivery listening and reading various peoples woes on how 'shit' it sounded. Nice from the back on start and a sense of purpose inside. Guess anything would coming from a 435d. I'm 50 so not after a chavved up ricer sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #19
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm sorry but that's irrelevant. The point here is that it sounds MUCH quieter than previous model years.

The 2018MY sounded perfect to my hears, not too quiet and not too loud. And I like the sound of this engine without the filter.

Last edited by Srac; 11-11-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry but that's irrelevant. The point here is that it sounds MUCH quieter than previous model years.

The 2018MY sounded perfect to my hears, not too quiet and not too loud. And I like the sound of this engine without the filter.
Try and turn up the ASD then as that's the only engine noise in the cabin.
      11-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Flog your new car, get back in to a pre ppf if it bothers you so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #22
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Try and turn up the ASD then as that's the only engine noise in the cabin.
I actually unplugged ASD and I much prefer it that way. When pressing the accelerator to the floor on the highway and it goes from 7th to 3rd ASD makes you goddamn deaf haha. It also removes the annoying kind of drone when just cruising in Efficient. It's not a massive difference but it feels a bit more natural now.

I've also been playing around with unplugging the valve thing so it's always open in Efficient. I honestly don't notice much difference at all...

Quote:
Flog your new car, get back in to a pre ppf if it bothers you so much.
I might. We'll see. Maybe the filter needs a long break-in (one can hope). Or maybe someone confirms that I can remove the filter without causing faults.
Appreciate 0