GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #18129
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Not sure if I've ever mentioned this in this thread, but E-tron (étron) translates very badly in French. Seems like this one has the colour to match .
Proper name for a turd fueled by propaganda.
Jim B1854.00
      06-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #18130
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
What color is this Audi E-Tron?
Not sure if I've ever mentioned this in this thread, but E-tron (étron) translates very badly in French. Seems like this one has the colour to match .
I remember there's a similar case with the Buick Lacrosse which is the Allure there because apparently Lacrosse is Quebec slang for masturbate
Jim B1854.00
      06-21-2022, 08:10 PM   #18131
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I remember there's a similar case with the Buick Lacrosse which is the Allure there because apparently Lacrosse is Quebec slang for masturbate
Valid translation, but "La crosse" can also be translated to "the ripoff" in Quebec slang, which is even worse IMO .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
mzcp2657.00
      06-21-2022, 10:04 PM   #18132
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
@AlterZgo - how are you liking your tune for the 992S? Playing with the idea of getting one.
Hey there! Really enjoying the tune. The car runs perfectly fine. No issues whatsoever. It pulls ridiculously hard. As you know our cars have pretty tall gearing… even more so for manuals b/c we have 1 less gear. Stock I always felt like acceleration fell off noticeably in 2nd gear. Now it pulls really hard in 2nd and even 3rd gear. Turn traction control off and it rips even harder to redline. BTW I live in AZ where it’s been about 90-110 degrees the last few weeks and the car has not slowed down any noticeable amt. No limp mode, reduction in boost or anything at all. I can’t wait until fall and winter to see how the car runs in 40-60 degree temps.

I LOVE the elimination of the 3500 stationary rev limiter. I don’t plan on launching my car but it’s really nice to be able to rev it to 7K RPMs while sitting still and knowing that I can launch it well at 5000 rpm instead of the stock 3500 limit.

I also added the feature where exhaust valves are fully open in Sport and sport+ modes. It’s very noticeable. I felt the stock PSE was the biggest waste of $3K ever. Could barely tell any difference in exhaust noise when switching from normal to sport. Now it’s very noticeable and in sport mode there is even a subtlety noticeable vibration throughout the car. Makes the car feel very sporty when in sport mode.

Finally I also added cold start delete and that’s very handy too for not waking up neighbors when leaving early or driving late at night.

Those M Engineering guys are super responsive. I emailed my stock calibration to them and they sent me a tune in about an hour. I asked to tweak some parameters and they sent me an updated tune in 20 minutes.

So far, there have been no downsides. No codes thrown, no check engine lights, no slippage of the clutch or any problems. I think people w/ PDKs have complained about clutch slippage but there’s a PDK tune for that too (for an additional $1495 though).
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #18133
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Quote:
@AlterZgo - how are you liking your tune for the 992S? Playing with the idea of getting one.
Hey there! Really enjoying the tune. The car runs perfectly fine. No issues whatsoever. It pulls ridiculously hard. As you know our cars have pretty tall gearing… even more so for manuals b/c we have 1 less gear. Stock I always felt like acceleration fell off noticeably in 2nd gear. Now it pulls really hard in 2nd and even 3rd gear. Turn traction control off and it rips even harder to redline. BTW I live in AZ where it's been about 90-110 degrees the last few weeks and the car has not slowed down any noticeable amt. No limp mode, reduction in boost or anything at all. I can't wait until fall and winter to see how the car runs in 40-60 degree temps.

I LOVE the elimination of the 3500 stationary rev limiter. I don't plan on launching my car but it's really nice to be able to rev it to 7K RPMs while sitting still and knowing that I can launch it well at 5000 rpm instead of the stock 3500 limit.

I also added the feature where exhaust valves are fully open in Sport and sport+ modes. It's very noticeable. I felt the stock PSE was the biggest waste of $3K ever. Could barely tell any difference in exhaust noise when switching from normal to sport. Now it's very noticeable and in sport mode there is even a subtlety noticeable vibration throughout the car. Makes the car feel very sporty when in sport mode.

Finally I also added cold start delete and that's very handy too for not waking up neighbors when leaving early or driving late at night.

Those M Engineering guys are super responsive. I emailed my stock calibration to them and they sent me a tune in about an hour. I asked to tweak some parameters and they sent me an updated tune in 20 minutes.

So far, there have been no downsides. No codes thrown, no check engine lights, no slippage of the clutch or any problems. I think people w/ PDKs have complained about clutch slippage but there's a PDK tune for that too (for an additional $1495 though).
"Pretty" tall is an understatement :P

I'm kind of used to it but ehh lol
      06-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #18134
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Hey there! Really enjoying the tune. The car runs perfectly fine. No issues whatsoever. It pulls ridiculously hard. As you know our cars have pretty tall gearing… even more so for manuals b/c we have 1 less gear. Stock I always felt like acceleration fell off noticeably in 2nd gear. Now it pulls really hard in 2nd and even 3rd gear. Turn traction control off and it rips even harder to redline. BTW I live in AZ where it’s been about 90-110 degrees the last few weeks and the car has not slowed down any noticeable amt. No limp mode, reduction in boost or anything at all. I can’t wait until fall and winter to see how the car runs in 40-60 degree temps.

I LOVE the elimination of the 3500 stationary rev limiter. I don’t plan on launching my car but it’s really nice to be able to rev it to 7K RPMs while sitting still and knowing that I can launch it well at 5000 rpm instead of the stock 3500 limit.

I also added the feature where exhaust valves are fully open in Sport and sport+ modes. It’s very noticeable. I felt the stock PSE was the biggest waste of $3K ever. Could barely tell any difference in exhaust noise when switching from normal to sport. Now it’s very noticeable and in sport mode there is even a subtlety noticeable vibration throughout the car. Makes the car feel very sporty when in sport mode.

Finally I also added cold start delete and that’s very handy too for not waking up neighbors when leaving early or driving late at night.

So far, there have been no downsides. No codes thrown, no check engine lights, no slippage of the clutch or any problems. I think people w/ PDKs have complained about clutch slippage but there’s a PDK tune for that too (for an additional $1495 though).
Thanks for the feedback, sounds awesome!

A few follow ups:

1. Re exhaust, I have the Akra and expect it to get loud when I do the Sport exhaust option, but does it drone or just gives it more good volume?

2. When you say you asked them to update parameters, what were those? Or is that the configurable options you mentioned?

3. Assume launching and low speed is not changed much but mid-speed (30-100, 60-130) is what is impacted right? That's what needs the most IMO.

4. Only heard of clutch slippage for guys who went e85 or some bigger turbo setup, but I may be misremembering so thanks for flagging and I'll watch out for it.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #18135
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, sounds awesome!

A few follow ups:

1. Re exhaust, I have the Akra and expect it to get loud when I do the Sport exhaust option, but does it drone or just gives it more good volume?

My stock PSE does not drone at all w/ exhaust valves forced open in sport and sport+. Just makes it louder than normal at all RPMs. Stock valve operation probably varies throughout the RPM range and depends on throttle position. This mod just forces valves open all the time. It's not over bearing at all, but I am coming from a F80 w/ remus exhaust, no resonators and secondary cat delete so I'm used to louder exhausts. It's not overbearing and still not as loud as my M3. With your Akra, I'm sure it'll sound even better!

2. When you say you asked them to update parameters, what were those? Or is that the configurable options you mentioned?

The only thing I needed them to change was I had them add back in the auto start/stop which I had deleted. The reason I had them add this back in was because on manual 992s, they have this cool feature where if you stall the car, as soon as you step on the clutch pedal, the car automatically restarts. Deleting the auto start/stop also kills this functionality. It really isn't an issue for me but for my son who's learning how to drive stick, he was confused and didn't know how to get the car started again when he stalled it. We did talk about other parameters like modifying exhaust valve operation in different modes but I didn't have to change anything else b/c I liked how the exhaust sounded.

They can basically change any parameter you want including if you want to upgrade to stage 2, E85 tune, etc. all at no extra charge.

3. Assume launching and low speed is not changed much but mid-speed (30-100, 60-130) is what is impacted right? That's what needs the most IMO.

Off the line is probably same as stock but almost immediately the power comes on hard even at lower RPMs. The power delivery feels exactly like how the dyno charts shows. I feel no additional turbo lag vs stock and if you're cruising at 3K RPM and nail it, it will pull hard right away. It does pull very nicely towards redline without a drop off in power. And yes, it gives that added push the the stock car is lacking from 2nd gear and up.

This is all with stage 1. If it's not enough you can always do stage 2 or just go full E85 if you have access to E85.

4. Only heard of clutch slippage for guys who went e85 or some bigger turbo setup, but I may be misremembering so thanks for flagging and I'll watch out for it.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #18136
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Blew out my front lip again last night. Road had a “cut” in it for some reason, likely some road work they hadn’t completed and left no signs. The cut was just wide enough to dip the front wheels and bang, half of the carbon lip shattered haha. Made it almost a year so can’t complain too much! Ordered a plastic M performance one, done with carbon and will go OEM. My 20” Klassen MS03s are showing up tomorrow and also looking into Brembo BBKs as the car has nearly 60k miles so could use a refresh. There’s still nothing short of $200k new I’m interested in so might as well dump some more money into the F80!

Used a magic marker for now to camo the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #18137
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Blew out my front lip again last night. Road had a “cut” in it for some reason, likely some road work they hadn’t completed and left no signs. The cut was just wide enough to dip the front wheels and bang, half of the carbon lip shattered haha. Made it almost a year so can’t complain too much! Ordered a plastic M performance one, done with carbon and will go
OEM. My 20” Klassen MS03s are showing up tomorrow and also looking into Brembo BBKs as the car has nearly 60k miles so could use a refresh. There’s still nothing short of $200k new I’m interested in so might as well dump some more money into the F80!

I've banged the shit out of my Lightweight front lip and it's held up very well. The last time I hit a tow hitch going about 15 mph and it put a little tiny divot in the lip but it's still going strong. I can't imagine running anything carbon fiber that low in front of the car.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17341.50
      06-22-2022, 10:58 AM   #18138
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've banged the shit out of my Lightweight front lip and it's held up very well. The last time I hit a tow hitch going about 15 mph and it put a little tiny divot in the lip but it's still going strong. I can't imagine running anything carbon fiber that low in front of the car.
Yep plastic is great! Banged the hell out of them on my last two slammed M4s and they took a lot of hits (still broke them eventually though lol!) All will be fixed next week!
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50
      06-22-2022, 11:54 AM   #18139
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

buy plastic m performance lip

wrap in carbon fiber vinyl

win win ?
Appreciate 1
NickyC17341.50
      06-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #18140
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
buy plastic m performance lip

wrap in carbon fiber vinyl

win win ?
Not a bad idea but I think I’m done with the carbon wraps.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      06-22-2022, 02:34 PM   #18141
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Blew out my front lip again last night. Road had a “cut” in it for some reason, likely some road work they hadn’t completed and left no signs. The cut was just wide enough to dip the front wheels and bang, half of the carbon lip shattered haha. Made it almost a year so can’t complain too much! Ordered a plastic M performance one, done with carbon and will go OEM. My 20” Klassen MS03s are showing up tomorrow and also looking into Brembo BBKs as the car has nearly 60k miles so could use a refresh. There’s still nothing short of $200k new I’m interested in so might as well dump some more money into the F80!

I hit several road debris with the CF front lip on my M4cs. The first time, I hit one of those delaminated tire tread bands that truck leave on the highway. It made such a loud bang, I thought I had completely destroyed the CF lip. When I got home, I inspected the damage and it actually took me a few minutes to find a barely noticeable hairline crack. I hit several block of ice during winter too and it held up to 3 years of my year round abuse. That thing was very sturdy and it was quite low to the ground.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 7
NickyC17341.50
Jockey3434.50
GERMAN M34176.50
alex23642846.50
jmg18493.00
Tecnniqe4197.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      06-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #18142
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
I hit several road debris with the CF front lip on my M4cs. The first time, I hit one of those delaminated tire tread bands that truck leave on the highway. It made such a loud bang, I thought I had completely destroyed the CF lip. When I got home, I inspected the damage and it actually took me a few minutes to find a barely noticeable hairline crack. I hit several block of ice during winter too and it held up to 3 years of my year round abuse. That thing was very sturdy and it was quite low to the ground.
Just a great pic! Thanks for sharing CanAutM3 .
      06-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #18143
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Quote:
That's an awesome shot.
CanAutM321104.50
      06-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #18144
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Blew out my front lip again last night. Road had a "cut" in it for some reason, likely some road work they hadn't completed and left no signs. The cut was just wide enough to dip the front wheels and bang, half of the carbon lip shattered haha. Made it almost a year so can't complain too much! Ordered a plastic M performance one, done with carbon and will go OEM. My 20" Klassen MS03s are showing up tomorrow and also looking into Brembo BBKs as the car has nearly 60k miles so could use a refresh. There's still nothing short of $200k new I'm interested in so might as well dump some more money into the F80!

Ouch! I went with the Lightweight lip on my G82 for its strong construction. I've already bottomed out a few times and it's held up!

The CS lip on my F80 M3 CS was just too much stress.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
NickyC17341.50
      06-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #18145
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Blew out my front lip again last night. Road had a "cut" in it for some reason, likely some road work they hadn't completed and left no signs. The cut was just wide enough to dip the front wheels and bang, half of the carbon lip shattered haha. Made it almost a year so can't complain too much! Ordered a plastic M performance one, done with carbon and will go OEM. My 20" Klassen MS03s are showing up tomorrow and also looking into Brembo BBKs as the car has nearly 60k miles so could use a refresh. There's still nothing short of $200k new I'm interested in so might as well dump some more money into the F80!

I had less luck with mine going off track at 100mph:
Attached Images

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
NickyC17341.50
CanAutM321104.50
      06-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #18146
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Ouch! I went with the Lightweight lip on my G82 for its strong construction. I've already bottomed out a few times and it's held up!

The CS lip on my F80 M3 CS was just too much stress.
All part of the low life and expected! I’m actually ecstatic I got nearly a year out of it. Just a very unusual cut in the road with no barriers or construction signs.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #18147
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Former GTS owner here. I feel your anxiety. Fortunately enough that ridiculous spoiler only took damage once - a relatively small gash. I actually curbed the wheels more than I bashed the spoiler 🤦🏽
Appreciate 1
NickyC17341.50
      06-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #18148
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I had less luck with mine going off track at 100mph:
I love the CS Lip, it was exactly why I had it on my M3.

It is solid but a bit scary at the same time because whenever you scrape or even slightly touch it by parking, it feels like you are hitting your bumper. Which you are technically since it is bolted to your car's steel frame. It takes a lot to destroy the OEM CS lip.
jmg18493.00
CanAutM321104.50
      06-22-2022, 10:55 PM   #18149
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

Smart move!

After blowing out my Arkym CF front lip on my '11.5 E92 M3, I vowed never to buy a CF front lip again. A thousand dollars down the drain.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17341.50
      06-22-2022, 11:20 PM   #18150
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

This conversation is exactly why I tell people that I personally consider lips to be a consumable item
NickyC17341.50
Sedan_Clan24809.50
jmg18493.00
CanAutM321104.50