European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #111
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum as I just picked up my car a couple of months ago. Here goes for my first post.
I too have the clicking. I have been trying different things to find the cause of the clicking.
I have been trying to leave the car in various drive modes when I shut it off. It seems as though the clicking doesn't occur if I revert back to the default efficient-sport-sport settings prior to shutdown. If I keep the engine in sport instead of efficient when I turn it off the clicking occurs almost each time.
I will keep monitoring it to see if it's just by chance. However if someone can also try this that may help.
Btw I left the car with the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the clicking so they did nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #112
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post

After just over a year since the first occurrence, I’ve recorded 11 videos of the problem and, now that I have a second car to drive, the M3 is now at the dealer for diagnosis. This thread seems to make the corrective action cut and dry. The regional manager happens to be stopping by tomorrow to look at another car and my car will also be examined (along with the phone with the videos I recorded for them). I will update this thread as I get info.
The dealership replaced my Valvetronic motor for the engine noise, and the rain sensor because my wipers were oblivious to rain collecting on the windshield.

The work order is in Italian, and the majority of the fault description was provided on a translated document I gave the dealer. I left an old phone with them with all of the videos as well. It took them two weeks to get the parts in stock and replace them.

The Valvetronic motor they replaced was part number 11377603979, which matches what realOEM.com says my car should have. They also replaced a bunch of gaskets and a flange. They also did some software coding on my car because a bunch of the FDL work I had done is now gone, but not all of it. I still don’t have any Nav or backup warnings, but ASC is back , my mirrors don’t fold on command, and my presets are gone.

Oh, and there was quite a bit of oil spilled on the turbos while the valve cover was off, and it was a smoky, oily mess when I got home. Nice.

Time will tell if it’s fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #113
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanislavK82 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum as I just picked up my car a couple of months ago. Here goes for my first post.
I too have the clicking. I have been trying different things to find the cause of the clicking.
I have been trying to leave the car in various drive modes when I shut it off. It seems as though the clicking doesn't occur if I revert back to the default efficient-sport-sport settings prior to shutdown. If I keep the engine in sport instead of efficient when I turn it off the clicking occurs almost each time.
I will keep monitoring it to see if it's just by chance. However if someone can also try this that may help.
Btw I left the car with the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the clicking so they did nothing.
Scratch the previous suggestion. The clicking came back. I guess it was just a lucky period with no clicking.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:42 AM   #114
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

Can someone please let me know if the injectors need to be removed to replace the valvetronic?? Dealer is saying that injectors had to be removed and they were over torqued beyond spec upon removal, thus need to replaced all 6 injectors..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #115
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I just noticed this clicking sound on my car this morning when I opened the door. I'm going to the dealer next Thursday anyways for an oil change, hopefully it happens again so I can film it for them. I'll keep people updated with my experience with this issue as well. Luckily still have a warranty.

Last edited by jpsimon; 06-07-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #116
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

is the clicking even serious...my indy told me its just the high pressure fuel injetors and all bmws make the noise. albeit the engine is on
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #117
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
is the clicking even serious...my indy told me its just the high pressure fuel injetors and all bmws make the noise. albeit the engine is on

Injector noise is different, that's with the engine on and is normal. This is with the engine completely off. After sitting for the night, went out this morning and opened the door and clicking starts happening from the engine bay.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #118
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I had mine fixed for this issue the other week - they replaced the servo motor. Since then it's been great. But this morning when opening my door, there was a related noise happening, but it was way more muted, like the motor just rotating over and over again. No loud clicks, but something going on and on under the hood, likely the servo motor. Still seems like something isn't quite right.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #119
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Injector noise is different, that's with the engine on and is normal. This is with the engine completely off. After sitting for the night, went out this morning and opened the door and clicking starts happening from the engine bay.
Ive heard this clicking sometimes upon unlockin maybe 4-5 times in three years of ownership. god speed me getting hem to recreate it

edit: cost roughly out of warranty to fix???
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #120
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

My wife's X5 did this for several months, oddly, it seems (knock on wood) to have stopped as I have not heard it in quite awhile. BMW said it was normal!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #121
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
My wife's X5 did this for several months, oddly, it seems (knock on wood) to have stopped as I have not heard it in quite awhile. BMW said it was normal!
lots of things sound normal to bmw now lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #122
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ive heard this clicking sometimes upon unlockin maybe 4-5 times in three years of ownership. god speed me getting hem to recreate it

edit: cost roughly out of warranty to fix???

Someone else said around $2000 out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #123
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

This is an established issue with these cars.

Contact your BMW regional office if the dealer isn't helpful - BMW should fix this if the car is a year or two out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #124
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Figure I’d chime in since I started this thread. It’s been over a year now after the fix and I haven’t once had the noise come back. Good luck to those trying to get this resolved!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #125
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Ditto for me. Over a year and 12K+ miles later, no hint of the clicking the car came home with from dealer delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #126
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone in Massachusetts have luck with their dealer on this? I brought the car in they couldn't reproduce it. They said they never heard it after I showed them a video I took. They told me if it was a problem there would be a CEL. I'm just curious if there is a dealer around that may have experience with this.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #127
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Just a small update. So I only witnessed the ticking sound once, and didn’t have my own video of it to show the dealer. So instead I just showed them the video from this thread and they said they’d look in to it. On Friday I got a call from the dealer saying a regional manager or something along those lines happened to be there and said they would dig a bit deeper. Tomorrow (Monday) I should hear back about what they plan to do. They’re being pretty cool about it all given that it can’t be reproduced easily.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #128
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Got my car back. Dropped it off last Thursday, picked it up yesterday. They didn't end up replacing anything, here is what they wrote on the service invoice :

"I Level attempt to duplicate concern. Not successful. Based on video* noise sounds like VVT motor ticking. TSE advise to create TSARA case. Created case #####. TSARA advise to program vehicle to update ILEVEL. After programming allow vehicle to enter sleep mode. Check for noise again. Good. Release vehicle at this time."

*I showed the tech the video from this thread when I first dropped it off.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #129
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
That's, exactly what my SA told me ~
      06-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #130
millerrh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysid2007 View Post
That's, exactly what my SA told me ~
Would the fuel injectors be firing when the engine is off? That reason makes no sense to me. All this clicking happens without the engine being on.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #131
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
Yes. That is exactly it, and it is not normal. If it only does it when cold and would therefore be difficult to replicate during a short service visit, play the video for the foreman during your visit so they can understand the issue at hand. Then go from there.
Shit ~~~~ this doesnt sound right.
      06-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #132
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

It's not normal.

Mine was doing it every time I locked the car and was immediately diagnosed as the valvetronic motor. It was replaced and no issues since.

Performance was not in anyway affected by the noise. But it was a machine gun click lasting 3-5 seconds.
Appreciate 0