proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I N55

Crank Hub Failure NOOB Question

Hi guys,
I know this topic has been beat to a pulp but I've found different answers to my question online. I'm new to the F80/S55 power plant. I come from a FBO Stage 2 BM3 N55 and I already have a major itch to mod my new 2018 F80 ZCP.
My question is, was the crank hub failure "possibility" remedied for the 2018 model year S55?
I know it's the luck of the draw... I know that if I want to be sure not to spin the hub, I need an upgraded crank hub but I've read on similar forums on-line that seem to suggest that 2018's were "fixed" by BMW.
Is there any truth to this?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

At very minimum you want a crankhub capture plate.

There is no OEM fix for this issue.

There is no case of spinning the hub with a CBC (not counting the one money shift)
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

There is no OEM fix.
At minimum get a CBC.
Do a hub fix + CBC if doing E85.
      04-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Hub is exactly the same part on N55 and S55. If you're gonna push past OE power levels maybe look into a hub depending on how big the power gets, but for sure do a CBC. If want to just do something preventative, cheap, and easy to effectively eliminate the risk while running OE to OE+ power, slap on a CBC and call it a day - even then it isn't clear that a CBC is necessary, but again cheap & easy so why not.
      04-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy View Post
At very minimum you want a crankhub capture plate.

There is no OEM fix for this issue.

There is no case of spinning the hub with a CBC (not counting the one money shift)
Yes there is.

VTT openly said they had cases of spun cranks with only a CBC.

Edited with backup

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27403246
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 04:09 AM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Yes there is.

Edited with backup

Wonder if they claim to help sell more full hub solutions...... increase the paranoia , increase the revenue
Appreciate 2
Cboy39.00
      04-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #7
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

just reached 100k and no crank hub mod of any kind.... don't believe the hype...stage 2 100 octane full bolt on tune
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Yes there is.

Edited with backup

The problem with this is that you never know what people did to there cars before the CBC, the questions Chris ignored was, did they have this on their car for at least 6 months? Did they miss shift and destroy the engine that way? There is so many other possibilities that could cause an engine to fail and the owner simply blamed it on the CBC.

I want to hear about a case where it’s been on a perfectly fine car for at least 4-6 months to rule out user error or an already damaged car where the bolt already slipped 2mm or so and only needed a few more pulls to move it again which could also explain the failure because the capture prevents the bolt from moving, but if you car already moved prior then the bolt will only allow it to move another 1-2mm so if you combine both the previous move and the new move the shift could be enough to cause failure.

These so called people that had this fail really needs to post online everything about what happend, wha tread it up to it. There power levels, mileage act...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #9
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Buster, lots of that stuff we just simply don't know, particularly in the case of cars that are picked up second hand. One case the guy had the car, left it stock and was busy at work so only drove it some on the weekends for several months/better part of a year. Did turbos, threw a CBC on, threw it on the dyno to do an e85 tune and first pull on the dyno zing. I don't know what the previous owner did to the car, but for the current owner that wasn't a great day.

At the end of the day, there are two major contributors, vibing loose, which is primary, then simply overwhelming the holding capability, which can also be primary or secondary as a result of vibration reducing clamping force. The power level this happens at seems to vary, it's been a while since I've personally heard of a CBC only car slipping, could be because so many people have just bit the bullet and replaced the hub and put on a CBC -the only way to fully retire the risk. Could be because the ones that were going to slip have slipped, it's much harder to accurately predict field failures, driving style/etc all play a role. It's expected to see noise in the data, so this doesn't surprise me. Of course the element of time/mileage on (most) of these vehicles is also playing a role.

Chris
Appreciate 0