Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #45
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
The Werk aka factory will probably lump all the individual colors together to be painted, the paint shop needs to be stopped, cleaned for the individual paint process, then after all the individual's are painted for that batch cleaned again to resume 'normal' paint operation.
That may be case for the M4's. For the M3's, it's a different process than what you describe. The factories are different. In the M3's case, there is a completely separate line at Regensberg for Individual cars. All Individual cars are painted by hand prior to blending in with the other cars for assembly. This is all covered on the private factory tour there which is highly recommended. Not all plants have this dedicated line (so not sure about the M4, as that is manufactured at an older facility).

At least for M3's, Individual (full $5k custom colors) are slotted for production as there is room in the hand-paint area. The "standard" individual colors are painted on the standard line (at least they were as of a couple years ago).

If you can work in the private factory tour at Regensberg during your ED, do so. It is well worth it.
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
GrussGott18149.00
ando2000.50
      07-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #46
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Quote:
The Werk aka factory will probably lump all the individual colors together to be painted, the paint shop needs to be stopped, cleaned for the individual paint process, then after all the individual's are painted for that batch cleaned again to resume 'normal' paint operation.
That may be case for the M4's. For the M3's, it's a different process than what you describe. The factories are different. In the M3's case, there is a completely separate line at Regensberg for Individual cars. All Individual cars are painted by hand prior to blending in with the other cars for assembly. This is all covered on the private factory tour there which is highly recommended. Not all plants have this dedicated line (so not sure about the M4, as that is manufactured at an older facility).

At least for M3's, Individual (full $5k custom colors) are slotted for production as there is room in the hand-paint area. The "standard" individual colors are painted on the standard line (at least they were as of a couple years ago).

If you can work in the private factory tour at Regensberg during your ED, do so. It is well worth it.
Great recommendation! Thanks!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #47
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:

I have been to Werk Regensberg for a tour during the e92/e93 days. The F80 and F83 are both now manufactured in Regensberg, F82 is Munich. I have been through 9 factory tours between the US and 2 Germany werks, never saw the individual paint line. Instead of taking the Munich factory tour for the 4th time, I should look into a private Regensberg tour.
Thescout134944.00
      07-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #48
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Excellent info guys! Thanks Ibiza, TonySCV, JTK24, Thescout13, probably the best thread on this subject I've seen - really helps know what to look for.

And, despite, the improbability of this, I SWEAR the regensburg individual ED cars are higher quality / assembly than others. I'm probably just smoking my own, but I do ride in other F8x and it just seems like 3x in a row now my car is higher build quality. I know I know, I need
Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
TonySCV510.00
JTK24121.00
      07-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #49
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Excellent info guys! Thanks Ibiza, TonySCV, JTK24, Thescout13, probably the best thread on this subject I've seen - really helps know what to look for.

And, despite, the improbability of this, I SWEAR the regensburg individual ED cars are higher quality / assembly than others. I'm probably just smoking my own, but I do ride in other F8x and it just seems like 3x in a row now my car is higher build quality. I know I know, I need
Hahahaha :
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #50
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

I am sure that it means something a bit more to the assembly line workers who see an Individual car coming down the assembly line with someone's name attached to it. I'd make sure the car was aces if it were me working on the line - someone went out of their way to order something special. The factory tours are full of people taking pride in their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Great recommendation! Thanks!
More info on the private tour option: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1250012

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-08-2017 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
Thescout134944.00
GrussGott18149.00
      07-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #51
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:

All individual trim parts for both Collection and Manufaktur are painted by hand, but the actual frame is still painted by automation, just has more steps involved as some individual colors receive additional coats which have Xirallic such as Ruby Black, Azurite Black and Citrine Black. Werk Regensburg doesn't have 8 separate individual paint lines as 8 models are produced there (http://www.bmwgroup-werke.com/de/regensburg.html) as the Individual program is open to all markets, as I'm sure the X1 has a individual program. The only paint that requires significant manual labor is pure metal silver, thus the $10,000 price.
      07-09-2017, 12:39 AM   #52
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
All individual trim parts for both Collection and Manufaktur are painted by hand, but the actual frame is still painted by automation, just has more steps involved as some individual colors receive additional coats which have Xirallic such as Ruby Black, Azurite Black and Citrine Black. Werk Regensburg doesn't have 8 separate individual paint lines as 8 models are produced there (http://www.bmwgroup-werke.com/de/regensburg.html) as the Individual program is open to all markets, as I'm sure the X1 has a individual program. The only paint that requires significant manual labor is pure metal silver, thus the $10,000 price.
I keep hearing from people who've taken the regensburg tour that individual frame is done by hand and they say so during the tour and show you if you do the "exclusive" tour. I wish the damn place wasn't so far from munich or i'd do it this fall just to solve this mystery!
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #53
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

07/13/17: Unexpected change of plans means we can actually do ED earlier and not have to do winter tires. Contact dealer and ask him to put in new ED date of October 9. Lets hope we get it!

Last edited by Thescout13; 07-14-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
TonySCV510.00
      07-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #54
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

07/14/17: SPECIAL ORDER REQUEST ATLANTIS BLUE METALLIC OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED AND APPROVED!!!! Called BMW Genius, status has changed to "111-Order Accepted at AG." Genius says the production week is tentatively week 35 but it has not been confirmed yet. Once it confirms he said it will change to 112. Waiting now to hear back as to our new ED date.

GrussGott go check asap!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18149.00
      07-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #55
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
07/14/17: SPECIAL ORDER REQUEST ATLANTIS BLUE METALLIC OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED AND APPROVED!!!! Called BMW Genius, status has changed to "111-Order Accepted at AG." Genius says the production week is tentatively week 35 but it has not been confirmed yet. Once it confirms he said it will change to 112. Waiting now to hear back as to our new ED date.
Thanks for your updates!! Hope it works out with your new ED date.

Last Friday I got the same VIR update (to status 102) as you did, like i mentioned earlier in the thread. Since you got an update today, I figured I would check too.

I call Genius and they said "My order is accepted" (did not give status number) and has a "tentative scheduled production week of 33". (When I called last Friday they said the tentative production week was 30. And when I first placed my order at the end of June, the GSM said the production week would probably be around 35 for the individual order). My car is an Individual paint only, no individual interior.

I was expecting to hear them say PW35 to match yours, since it seems general thought is they batch the individual orders together. The Genius did mention my production week 33 he quoted would probably change in the near future (he did not specify earlier or later, just that it would most likely change)

Also, I asked the Genius today if Production week meant start of production or when production would end. He said Start.... which is contradictory to the Stick on ordering/tracking at the top of this forum. Don't know if there are "different" production week that people communicate.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #56
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK24 View Post

I call Genius and they said "My order is accepted" (did not give status number) and has a "tentative scheduled production week of 33". (When I called last Friday they said the tentative production week was 30. And when I first placed my order at the end of June, the GSM said the production week would probably be around 35 for the individual order). My car is an Individual paint only, no individual interior.
You're scheduled for the same week I am (W33, from week 28 originally) and my status is now 112.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #57
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Last Friday I got the same VIR update (to status 102) as you did, like i mentioned earlier in the thread. Since you got an update today, I figured I would check too.

I was expecting to hear them say PW35 to match yours, since it seems general thought is they batch the individual orders together. The Genius did mention my production week 33 he quoted would probably change in the near future (he did not specify earlier or later, just that it would most likely change)

Also, I asked the Genius today if Production week meant start of production or when production would end. He said Start.... which is contradictory to the Stick on ordering/tracking at the top of this forum. Don't know if there are "different" production week that people communicate.
Gotcha he may not know for certain. I have gotten on the phone with BMW Genius a couple times and they guy I am speaking with has no idea what I am talking about re production number or order status etc. It is crazy how some know a lot and others know nothing.

As to production number, he didnt use specific production numbers bc they dont do that anymore but he told me what the status read and I cross referenced it with what the sticky on ordering says is the corresponding number to Accepted by AG. Hoping to get my updated VIR from the dealer this evening.

Also, as to the week 35 thing, they have said since day one that it’s tentative since this is a special order request.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #58
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
if you have the ability to test drive the F80 and the Competition Package F80 for comparison, you should do so. My biggest regret is not opting for the Competition Package. I am an Audi convert and am unfamiliar with such things where I came from. The firmer handling and burble tune are worth every penny.
Hi man, thanks for the suggestion. This Car is actually for my wife. She test drove both and loved the Competition Package but for her personally she couldn?t justify the cost and preferred to pay for the individual color only.

It?s all good though, I also put a deposit on my M3 for an ED next summer. Mine will definitely have the Competition Package. Stay tuned!

Jealous
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #59
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

07/14/17: I am a moron. Apparently its not yet accepted and is still at 102. Called the BMW ED Department today after two BMW Genius and then my dealer told me it was still at 102 for some reason. The lady (really nice) said that it I may have been told that by accident (or misunderstanding) and that it is still at 102 (dope! jumped the gun guys sorry). She said she had my paperwork in front of her and that it could have been because we changed the ED date, but that it was unlikely. However, she did say that given when my order was submitted to AG, that I should know within the next week or so about my color being accepted by AG. She said they cannot confirm the ED date on the car until the car moves back to status 111. Then they can assign me the ED Date very shortly thereafter. Will keep this updated. In sum, back to 102.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #60
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:

How do i sign up for the full factory tour at Regensberg?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #61
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
Quote:

Go to the website and call/email the contact listed for the tour you want (the website also breaks down the different tours). It looks pretty much the same as reserving the Munich tour and special tour
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #62
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
https://www.bmw-besuchen.com/en/request

Sign up for "exclusive tour plus" at Regensberg (assuming that's the plant you want to tour privately) and allow 6-8 weeks lead time for them to confirm your appointment. Can be booked for 1-25 people IIRC and runs 3.5 hours. You can request a tour of the Individual paint process in your comments,or anything else in particular that you would like to see.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #63
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Just FYI I called again today (I guess I plan on calling every friday ) and as usual the BMW Genius rep was very nice. He mentioned to me that my car was scheduled to start production yesterday but for whatever reason it did not. He said it still showed as production completing week 33 (he said PW was when production finishes like the Ordering Sticky on the forum does, whereas my previous rep said my car was scheduled to start on PW 33).

So, no real update since last week but interesting that it was supposed to start production but didnt.

Here's to hoping you get your earlier ED date!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #64
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just FYI I called again today (I guess I plan on calling every friday ) and as usual the BMW Genius rep was very nice. He mentioned to me that my car was scheduled to start production yesterday but for whatever reason it did not. He said it still showed as production completing week 33 (he said PW was when production finishes like the Ordering Sticky on the forum does, whereas my previous rep said my car was scheduled to start on PW 33).

So, no real update since last week but interesting that it was supposed to start production but didnt.

Here's to hoping you get your earlier ED date!
I really hope so as well. However the fact that our order hasn?t been accepted by AG yet is kind of worrisome. Hopefully that 12 week lead time for individual paint is from the request date and not from the acceptance date.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #65
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I really hope so as well. However the fact that our order hasn?t been accepted by AG yet is kind of worrisome. Hopefully that 12 week lead time for individual paint is from the request date and not from the acceptance date.
It's a 1-2 week lead time, not 12 weeks. If you haven't heard anything come Monday, e-mail individual@bmw.de with your production number and ask if they can confirm the order request and provide a status update. It will take them 48 hours to respond, but they are good about responding.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #66
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
It's a 1-2 week lead time, not 12 weeks. If you haven't heard anything come Monday, e-mail individual@bmw.de with your production number and ask if they can confirm the order request and provide a status update. It will take them 48 hours to respond, but they are good about responding.
That's correct...
Appreciate 0