GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #243
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Jumping in here from across the pond. The thread title and description of issue sounds oddly familiar to what I'm experiencing here - knocking from rear of the car over bumps/uneven roads. My dealership has replaced the fuel tank, rear diff, various suspension components, but not the shocks.

Guess what? The noise is still present.

When you guys were dealing with this issue, did anyone try to capture the knocking sound on a camera/phone?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #244
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Jumping in here from across the pond. The thread title and description of issue sounds oddly familiar to what I'm experiencing here - knocking from rear of the car over bumps/uneven roads. My dealership has replaced the fuel tank, rear diff, various suspension components, but not the shocks.

Guess what? The noise is still present.

When you guys were dealing with this issue, did anyone try to capture the knocking sound on a camera/phone?

I tried but it was impossible. Can only describe it as:

Slow speed as if the exhaust is knocking on the axle as it was moving from side to side.

Faster speeds more like a thick metallic plate rattling at the rear of the car.

That is about the best I could describe.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #245
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post

TVP Reading to Harlow the other week.

in terms of the gearbox the I use the gear lever to change and S3 with a slight lift on up changes, it's been a revelation for me car feels more natural to drive that way.
Haha, you must have been driving very, very steady in Efficient!

I've never had mine much above 30mpg. And I don't drive like a loon all the time.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #246
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:

in terms of the gearbox the I use the gear lever to change and S3 with a slight lift on up changes, it's been a revelation for me car feels more natural to drive that way.
Haha, you must have been driving very, very steady in Efficient!

I've never had mine much above 30mpg. And I don't drive like a loon all the time.
18 mpg at the mo for me.. I have never see above 23 (as an average)

It must be my driving as my diesel merc would never get more that 33 mpg (average)
      03-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #247
JovanUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 F83 CP, '18 M140i SHA.

Only had it for 3-4 days so far, driving with a mixture of eco and sporty driving styles, current average is 19.6mpg. Not much long motorway driving though.

Sport plus with the comp pack and roof down is pop pop popp city!

"If it depreciates, lease it. If it appreciates, buy it."
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #248
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Update for mine. BMW UK are sending up the nationwide technical manager to Aberdeen in order for him to have a proper look at car. They are providing me with a customer experience vehicle when the car is in for the work. Glad something is getting done as I swear it's becoming more and more audible

Will update
Car now been in the workshop since Monday 13th and awaiting new rear shock absorbers. From the experience of the others I can't see them sorting the issue but fingers crossed and all that. The dealer have been perfect throughout but they were awaiting an answer from BMW before they could proceed and start ordering up parts.

I have had the customer experience F80 M3 since March 7th so i can't really complain. That being said, this car makes the same noise. Strange
      03-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #249
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
The M3 is a fun capable car but 18.5mpg is getting silly now.

When you are talking about hanging onto the gears, do you mean in auto mode, in gearbox setting 2 or 3?

Hey Will

Only just noticed you were in TVP, I am there everyday

Are you in TVP often?
      03-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #250
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Car now been in the workshop since Monday 13th and awaiting new rear shock absorbers. From the experience of the others I can't see them sorting the issue but fingers crossed and all that. The dealer have been perfect throughout but they were awaiting an answer from BMW before they could proceed and start ordering up parts.

I have had the customer experience F80 M3 since March 7th so i can't really complain. That being said, this car makes the same noise. Strange
Car back and the noise after 8 months has finally been rectified. Having been told three times previously that the noise was a characteristic I sort of dealt with it but after it getting worse I knew it wasn't. Especially considering M2/M5/235i doesn't make the same noise whatsoever.

Anywhoo. Two new rear shock absorbers along with all the relevant hardware later and the car is FINALLY silent with no knocking when I drive along the road. I'm over the moon, literally makes the car 10x more enjoyable to me. Now to take it on some long drives
      03-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #251
DEBZ-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 F80

Quote:
Car back and the noise after 8 months has finally been rectified. Having been told three times previously that the noise was a characteristic I sort of dealt with it but after it getting worse I knew it wasn't. Especially considering M2/M5/235i doesn't make the same noise whatsoever.

Anywhoo. Two new rear shock absorbers along with all the relevant hardware later and the car is FINALLY silent with no knocking when I drive along the road. I'm over the moon, literally makes the car 10x more enjoyable to me. Now to take it on some long drives

How long did they need the car for?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #252
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Hey Will

Are you in TVP often?
Ah! I'm there once every 2 weeks for a meeting in Building 3 with the Xbox team on the Microsoft campus.

Great facilities you guys have there, if you work for MS.
      03-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #253
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

I now have what sounds like a death rattle from the rear of the car, tinny metallic clatter at low speed over ridges and bumps.

As well as the hollow knocking sound.

Car is driving great though and seems to get quicker as the miles go on it still takes me back slightly with its power and low end shove.

Will be getting a service in a few weeks time so I'll ask them to look at it, something must be noticeably loose to make that racket.
      03-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #254
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Will

Are you in TVP often?
Ah! I'm there once every 2 weeks for a meeting in Building 3 with the Xbox team on the Microsoft campus.

Great facilities you guys have there, if you work for MS.
I do work for MS, you should let me know the next time you are down
      03-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #255
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I do work for MS, you should let me know the next time you are down
Cool, I will.

Cheers.
      03-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #256
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBZ-M3 View Post
How long did they need the car for?
The car was with them for two weeks but BMW UK provided a like for like demo
      12-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #257
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm back again with this infuriating noise. It's been around since the summer but I've been drowning it out with music.

Fitted the winter tyres and it's noticeably louder. I'll need to get a video for a comparison but does nobody else have this same knocking from the passenger side rear? It drives me insane. Its a very loud clunk as soon as the rear goes over some uneven ground. Even makes the noise when the car travels over manhole covers that are flush with the tarmac. Incredibly strange

When the noise came back after a couple months BMW UK told me that after time the suspension just makes this noise after it's run in. Complete BS as the car was doing it from new and also they would never have replaced the complete rear suspension unit if they knew it would be making the noise again.

This is what they told the original dealer I purchased the car from. They are simply stating that the car is deemed roadworthy and therefore the noise shouldn't matter
5E121942 – complaint of knocking noise – rear shockers replaced to confirm that this was the source of the operational noise. Repairing retailer have side by side tested another with same mileage, model and suspension spec and the same noise generated.
      12-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #258
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm back again with this infuriating noise. It's been around since the summer but I've been drowning it out with music.

Fitted the winter tyres and it's noticeably louder. I'll need to get a video for a comparison but does nobody else have this same knocking from the passenger side rear? It drives me insane. Its a very loud clunk as soon as the rear goes over some uneven ground. Even makes the noise when the car travels over manhole covers that are flush with the tarmac. Incredibly strange

When the noise came back after a couple months BMW UK told me that after time the suspension just makes this noise after it's run in. Complete BS as the car was doing it from new and also they would never have replaced the complete rear suspension unit if they knew it would be making the noise again.

This is what they told the original dealer I purchased the car from. They are simply stating that the car is deemed roadworthy and therefore the noise shouldn't matter
5E121942 – complaint of knocking noise – rear shockers replaced to confirm that this was the source of the operational noise. Repairing retailer have side by side tested another with same mileage, model and suspension spec and the same noise generated.
They never fixed mine so I rejected it
      12-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #259
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They never fixed mine so I rejected it
I think I'm maybe too far into ownership at ~18 months. I have tried to call BMW but they won't speak to me, only the original purchasing dealer. Purchasing dealer advised by BMW car is tip top so theres nothing that the salesman can do either. ha ha