European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
RecklessZapper
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Comp

What's best summer wheel?

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm due for a new set of tires on my F80 and really want to get to spend time on the track this coming summer.

I'm looking at both the Michelin pilot Cup 2s and P4S and wanted people's opinions on both tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessZapper View Post
Good Evening Everyone,

I'm due for a new set of tires on my F80 and really want to get to spend time on the track this coming summer.

I'm looking at both the Michelin pilot Cup 2s and P4S and wanted people's opinions on both tires.
Cup 2's won't last daily driving, you may get max 10k miles on them.

The PS4S are really the replacement for the pilot SS and will give you amazing traction but still streetable.

Depends what you need the car for, if you are pushing a tuned car and need the traction you have to sacrifice longevity with the CUP 2's and even so you will only see the differences at 8/10+ driving. Unless you are competitively tracking this car get the PS4S.

For reference my buddy has Cup 2's on his F80, they take a while to warm up and on the street he never sees any differences from his previous tires as he isn't driving at 10/10.

I have Potenza RE71R which are in the tier of the CUP 2's and they are cheaper, will last the same length and deliver 99% of the grip as cup 2's but once again i sacrifice longevity.

Reason i got them is because of road feel, tires like cup 2's or potenza's or any extreme summer tire will give you great road feedback and will put a smile on your face with the turn in and dynamics. If you value feeling more of the road, and better turn in and feel then get the tires but just know that you are going to wear them out in maximum 2 summers
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
RecklessZapper
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessZapper View Post
Good Evening Everyone,

Cup 2's won't last daily driving, you may get max 10k miles on them.

The PS4S are really the replacement for the pilot SS and will give you amazing traction but still streetable.

Depends what you need the car for, if you are pushing a tuned car and need the traction you have to sacrifice longevity with the CUP 2's and even so you will only see the differences at 8/10+ driving. Unless you are competitively tracking this car get the PS4S.

For reference my buddy has Cup 2's on his F80, they take a while to warm up and on the street he never sees any differences from his previous tires as he isn't driving at 10/10.

I have Potenza RE71R which are in the tier of the CUP 2's and they are cheaper, will last the same length and deliver 99% of the grip as cup 2's but once again i sacrifice longevity.

Reason i got them is because of road feel, tires like cup 2's or potenza's or any extreme summer tire will give you great road feedback and will put a smile on your face with the turn in and dynamics. If you value feeling more of the road, and better turn in and feel then get the tires but just know that you are going to wear them out in maximum 2 summers
Thanks for the reply. I do not daily the car so the longevity don't really bother me. But I am super interested on spending some time at the track this summer so maybe I'll try out the cup 2s.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

I think the cup2s are hard to beat if you want a trackable street tire that can last a fair amount of track heat cycles and are quiet/comfortable enough to drive on the street. They're also probably the most expensive because they can sort of "do it all" for a performance car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
edkwok99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 bone stock

Since you don’t daily your car, I would recommend R888R and NT01. Both will have better grip than cup2 on the track and will not overheat. They are less expansive than cup2 too
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

RE71 ftw
Amazing grip and good price point
Do not drive them in the wet
They are loud though
Appreciate 0