Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #23
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Don't judge 🙂

I run continental extreme contact DWS 06 on factory 18 inch rims. It's a very quite tire. 85% of time I'm in efficient mode.

It's a High Performance All-Season Tire

Disclaimer: I don't need more grip so I can explore higher limits. I've learned I'll find the limit.

Anyway...

It's a very compliant ride and handles great.

The tires govern my driving.

Keeps me in check and the wife happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #24
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Don't judge 🙂

I run continental extreme contact DWS 06 on factory 18 inch rims. It's a very quite tire. 85% of time I'm in efficient mode.

It's a High Performance All-Season Tire

Disclaimer: I don't need more grip so I can explore higher limits. I've learned I'll find the limit.

Anyway...

It's a very compliant ride and handles great.

The tires govern my driving.

Keeps me in check and the wife happy.
+1 on the factory 18s

I just swapped my wheels from a 19 inch aftermarket wheel with 35 profile MP4S tires to the OEM 18 wheels with 40 profile Continental Extreme contact sport tires and it’s a DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE.

Add that with active sound delete, and you’re Golden.

Now I have other sounds that bother me (CAE SHIFTER, creaks and squeaks) but none of those were as bad as the 35 profile tires.

There’s also a thread somewhere where you can add dynamat to the car to lessen the sound. I did thot to my transmission area and shifter to make it more quiet. Try it out if you get the car and think it’s too loud.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3391.50
noemon44.50
      01-12-2021, 05:42 AM   #25
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
Hey guys, I've always wanted a F80 M3 since I sold my 335i, but life hit me and it never eneded up happening. I'll soon be in the financial position to pick one up and now I'm faced with another issue, my ears. I had an accident (also many years of abuse) that left me with pretty bad Tinnitus and some hyperacusis. My ears have since healed pretty well but its been a rocky road and many years later. They are still far from where they used to be and basically the quieter the better is how I live my life most days. I feel this has to be said to avoid the comments about this car "not being for me".

With that being said, how loud is the F80 compared to other vehicles out there like the F30 chasis, E90 335 or likewise? Is this car loud over expansion joints or rough roads? How about freeway cruising for a while? I know I'll just have to take one for a spin this spring and see how it goes but id like to head from other long term owners! From what I've been reading it sounds like they stripped a lot of sound deadening from the F80 M3.
I've got both. F30 335i and a F80.
M3 is definitely louder but not insanely louder. Car to car I would call the F30 a 3/10 vs a 5/10 in road noise. You will feel expansion joints, center reflectors much more than the F30. Rear differential, clutch, drive shaft noise are much more prevalent.
Both of my cars are on 18" Michelin AS/3's. Different tire brand/compounds will affect results.
Note: if I run around with the M3 at 2/3 lbs low from the recommended 33 psi it's a comfortable daily driver. Kinda gives me a muted softer ride. I also coded out the ASD.
Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #26
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
+1 on the factory 18s

I just swapped my wheels from a 19 inch aftermarket wheel with 35 profile MP4S tires to the OEM 18 wheels with 40 profile Continental Extreme contact sport tires and it’s a DAY AND NIGHT DIFFERENCE.

Add that with active sound delete, and you’re Golden.

Now I have other sounds that bother me (CAE SHIFTER, creaks and squeaks) but none of those were as bad as the 35 profile tires.

There’s also a thread somewhere where you can add dynamat to the car to lessen the sound. I did thot to my transmission area and shifter to make it more quiet. Try it out if you get the car and think it’s too loud.
Damn it, you now get me thinking of 18" wheels again. I was on 20" comp wheels, move to 19" with 35 profile, and your post makes me rethink the 513M. How is the handling between the MP4S 19" and the 18" Conti ECS? Do you think the noise is from the profile, or the tire itself could make a difference?

Also interested in hearing more about the dynamat. Do you have any link/post, and can you tell me more about what you did to the transmission area and shifter? Any info will be great. I tried to look before (about how to lower the noise), couldn't quite find anything

I did the noise measurement again last night, 70mph on smooth asphalt kind of freeway I get ~ 65dB, once it goes to regular concrete it gets up to ~72dB.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
nate704
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Well, the reason BMW is now pumping sound into their cars is because they are too quiet. So I don't think the "avoid performance sedans" works today.
Apparently too much noise for OP's hearing issue. "Avoid performance sedans" works all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #28
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
Damn it, you now get me thinking of 18" wheels again. I was on 20" comp wheels, move to 19" with 35 profile, and your post makes me rethink the 513M. How is the handling between the MP4S 19" and the 18" Conti ECS? Do you think the noise is from the profile, or the tire itself could make a difference?

Also interested in hearing more about the dynamat. Do you have any link/post, and can you tell me more about what you did to the transmission area and shifter? Any info will be great. I tried to look before (about how to lower the noise), couldn't quite find anything

I did the noise measurement again last night, 70mph on smooth asphalt kind of freeway I get ~ 65dB, once it goes to regular concrete it gets up to ~72dB.
I don't have a direct comparison to 19's on my car, but mine was factory ordered with the 18" 513M alloy wheels and I will never not recommend them! At less than 10 kg per alloy wheel, it is very light (especially for an OE wheel) and not sure about the US, but in Europe, it's very difficult to find a lighter rim that doesn't break the bank. I also like the added side profile.

Tires alone do make a difference, PSS have the tendency to get a bit noisier over time.

I would look into putting extra sound insulation in the rear of the car, kind of a lot road noise from the rear tires, and also wind so maybe door cards? Idk, but I don't have enough big balls to take apart the interior. Getting rid of ASD made a huge difference.
      01-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #29
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly, it could be the newer Conti tires (my MP4S tires had about 7000 miles or so) and the 40 profile, but I can attest that my b16 damptronic coilovers with CS tuning is noticeable more comfortable and compliant with the new tires. Before my bilsteins were unbearable, but I lived with it. Now its great. I've just been DD'n it so haven't put it through its paces, but even if I lose some dry grip compared to the MP4S tires, I don't really care. Ill just go slower and enjoy the squishy, yet sport ride.

In regards to the dynamat and the shifter, note that I did this to the CAE shifter and not the OEM shifter. Not sure if it will apply to you. Dynamat on the CAE shifter with a proper white lithium greasing helps so much with the chassis bolted shifter noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #30
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

you could add some insulation to the wheel wheels.
swap whatever tires it comes with for 18s with a thicker sidewall.
delete active sound for sure.

another thing that may help is doing a resonated equal length midpipe to make the car quieter than stock.

are you dead set on the M3 ? i'd imagine the model 3 performance and audi RS5 are quieter.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #31
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate704 View Post
Apparently too much noise for OP's hearing issue. "Avoid performance sedans" works all the time.
It does not work - and it is a bit insulting to the OP.

The fact is, performance sedans - and basically all cars, are getting quieter, not noisier - so much so that (per my point), car manufacturers are piping in the sound so you can hear them more.

The 335 the OP had would have had run-flats. Terrible for noise and as the OP pointed out, they get significantly worse over time.

As others have pointed out, the M3/M4, with 18 and 19" wheels (and no run-flats) rides very quiet - and guess what? So does the Audi S5/RS5.

And... regarding expansion joint noise, man, nothing is worse than a BMW RFT hitting those - at least that was my experience every time I had them in one of their cars - Whack!
Appreciate 3
65fastback1137.00
2011ninja3391.50
SCS55291.00
      01-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #32
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Honestly, it could be the newer Conti tires (my MP4S tires had about 7000 miles or so) and the 40 profile, but I can attest that my b16 damptronic coilovers with CS tuning is noticeable more comfortable and compliant with the new tires. Before my bilsteins were unbearable, but I lived with it. Now its great. I've just been DD'n it so haven't put it through its paces, but even if I lose some dry grip compared to the MP4S tires, I don't really care. Ill just go slower and enjoy the squishy, yet sport ride.

In regards to the dynamat and the shifter, note that I did this to the CAE shifter and not the OEM shifter. Not sure if it will apply to you. Dynamat on the CAE shifter with a proper white lithium greasing helps so much with the chassis bolted shifter noise.
How many miles do you have on your conti tires?
Sorry, what's CAE shifter? Is that for manual? I have a DCT. For me, the suspension (original from the ZCP) feels ok for me in terms of the comfort, it was mainly the noise that bothers me a bit. Do you think the MP4S has a little better dry grip than the ECS? The ECS is cheaper, and it comes in right size if I were to go with 18".
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #33
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

2018 non-ZCP F80 on factory 18s with Michelin PSS.

Definitely notice the road noise, but it's not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:29 PM   #34
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

How many miles do you have on your conti tires?
Sorry, what's CAE shifter? Is that for manual? I have a DCT. For me, the suspension (original from the ZCP) feels ok for me in terms of the comfort, it was mainly the noise that bothers me a bit. Do you think the MP4S has a little better dry grip than the ECS? The ECS is cheaper, and it comes in right size if I were to go with 18".
The MP4S is a max performance Summer Tire.

The Continental DWS 06 (ECS) Extreme Contact Sport - Is a max performance all season tire.

The only area they may compete
Wet, wear, road noise.

Dry Grip MP4S is going to be better when temps get warm. Below 40 DWS 06

I've had both; for quite when new they Are similar.

Personally I prefer DWS 06 because I'm not driving that aggressive on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #35
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
The MP4S is a max performance Summer Tire.

The Continental DWS 06 (ECS) Extreme Contact Sport - Is a max performance all season tire.

The only area they may compete
Wet, wear, road noise.

Dry Grip MP4S is going to be better when temps get warm. Below 40 DWS 06

I've had both; for quite when new they Are similar.

Personally I prefer DWS 06 because I'm not driving that aggressive on the street.
I actually have the extreme contact sport which is in the same category as the Michelins (my screenshot is of the MPSS and not of the MP4S but they are the same category). The extreme contact DWS are an all season tie. Yet at this point if you are telling me that the DWS are even quieter than the ECS, then I may be sold, my wheel twin!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:49 AM   #36
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

My f80 is a noisy car on most CA roads. It’s 90% tier noise from those massive 20’s. On newly paved roads the car is resonantly quiet and doesn’t get much louder from 40 mph to 120 mph