Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #1
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Leaking fluid/oil stained J pipe on throttle body connection

Hello all, I'm just curious if this is normal. Never noticed it before, but recently installed the mishimoto charge cooler. Maybe I wiggled the j pipe too much at the throttle body connection? Don't know what the fluid could be except for oil vapor?

https://youtube.com/shorts/p2A9FVrrlxg?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
What is it? Have you smelled it to confirm it's oil? Either way-no-it's not normal. Mine after almost 85K was dry/clean. What I want to know is why you didn't change your J pipe when you were in there!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv_f82 View Post
What is it? Have you smelled it to confirm it's oil? Either way-no-it's not normal. Mine after almost 85K was dry/clean. What I want to know is why you didn't change your J pipe when you were in there!
I tried to take a sample of it, but it's got too much dust caked on I'm assuming it's oil since it looks like it, coolant would've been whiteish and crusty. Don't think it can be any other fluid at that location haha. Yeah I know, I was reading people having issues with the aftermarket ones popping off, so I just left it since it's the cold side and way lower temps than the other side (upgraded charge pipes). I guess I will have to take everything back off eventually and check it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I've seen blow by oil collect some in the J. Mine was very greasy from dried oil vapor but not enough to worry about. Seems the cold side does cause a little vapor catch there. I've never seen a factory J fail so a wipe out with a solvent rag is good enough
      09-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_F80_Mike View Post
Quote:
I tried to take a sample of it, but it's got too much dust caked on I'm assuming it's oil since it looks like it, coolant would've been whiteish and crusty. Don't think it can be any other fluid at that location haha. Yeah I know, I was reading people having issues with the aftermarket ones popping off, so I just left it since it's the cold side and way lower temps than the other side (upgraded charge pipes). I guess I will have to take everything back off eventually and check it out.
I would. Just for sanity. I'm also selling a brand new do88 J pipe. 😊
      09-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I've seen blow by oil collect some in the J. Mine was very greasy from dried oil vapor but not enough to worry about. Seems the cold side does cause a little vapor catch there. I've never seen a factory J fail so a wipe out with a solvent rag is good enough
Yeah that's what I was assuming it was too. Yours was greasy on the outside like mine? I'm just thinking maybe I wiggled it too much when installing the charge cooler and now it's a bit loose at the throttle body causing the oil vapor to seep out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #8
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_F80_Mike View Post
Quote:
I would. Just for sanity. I'm also selling a brand new do88 J pipe. 😊
Haha I feel you on that, but I think I'll be okay. I did the charge cooler for my sanity 😂 since oem are prone to leaking and I didn't want coolant in my cylinders lol
Appreciate 0