R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-03-2024, 07:41 AM   #1
MAG22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f80

caster monballs or non-adjustable

I'm thinking of getting monoballs before next season to reduce the squirm under hard braking. I love adjustability, but in this case, I'm note sure it's worth the hassle and cost. What does caster adjustment do for me besides change the weight of the steering?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:27 AM   #2
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Presumably you'd run less static camber with more caster. less static camber should improve straight line traction. Maybe a bit better tire wear? Never done it myself though.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 03:25 PM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

I think going with caster adjustable monoballs is a decision that involves several other factors to figure out if that is the location where you want/need to be adjusting all of your caster or just a portion of your final caster adjustment.

I'll start by saying I dont know how much you can increase caster via a thrust arm monoball location before you start moving the wheel too far forward in the arch to where you start rubbing while turning.

Do you have upper camber/caster plates already? Depending on the plates, you may find that moving the plate rearward to get extra caster ends up blocking access to the bolts for camber adjustment. That isn't great if you swap between a street and track camber setting a lot. If you do, you are basically forced to move the caster plate back as far as you can while still having access to all of your camber adjustment bolts. In that situation, having the ability to add more caster (that you could have gotten from the top) by adjusting the monoball would be a nice option to have.

What tire sizes are you running and do you have any rubbing in front or back of the tire? Having the ability to change the location of how the wheel/tire fits in the fender arch is nice for some applications where wheel fitment needs some tweaking.
      01-04-2024, 04:19 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Increased castor improves high speed straight line stability, improves cornering feel, increased self centering, steering weight and increased negative camber while turning. With a strut front suspension, you want increased negative camber because the camber gain with suspension compression is poor so camber-castor plates help with increasing both static and dynamic camber. Amount of typical increase in castor usually isn’t enough to reduce static camber but it does help some with improved camber while turning. Castor adjustments do help with overall improved suspension geometry.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 08:20 AM   #5
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

The adjustable arms must always go with camber plates, if you mount all the front arms with monoball you will never want to go back, the steering feeling is impressive with monoballs.

You should also mount the motor mount inserts of m4 gt4, since with a monoball the engine tends to move more.
Appreciate 0