Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #1
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Third set of front top mounts in 12k miles

Hi guys

In the process of fitting my third set of front top mounts in approx 12k miles / 2.5 years

The first set failed around 6k miles after picking up the car (brand new order), i had clunking noise when reversing and winding lock on the wheel, they were easily diagnosed as faulty as you could feel them clicking resting your palm over the top mount from under the hood and dry steering. dealer replaced these under warranty and reimbursed me cost to have alignment done

The dealer commented this was rare and that they hadn't seen them fail so soon on a relatively low mile car - He asked me if high pressured under the guards as the water can remove the bearing grease. At the time i just disregarded it as i couldn't fathom how water would get into a sealed rubber boot - but yep i do on occasion removes wheels to do a thorough clean, and for regular washes i spray fender liner with apc and stick the wand under the guards to blow out dirt

Fast forward another 6k miles, since then i installed the tractive suspension with brand new front top mounts - i built complete pnp front and rear struts with oe parts so i didn't have to disassemble my oe struts. Same washing practice since new and once again i'm getting the tell tale clunking sound of failed bearings

So i'm wondering am i just unlucky, or is there something to the dealers comment that high pressure water can remove grease from inside the bearing boot

Weirdly though, i've always had issues with top mounts on BMW M cars, my e46 would chew through top mounts every 6 months, and i always chalked it up to negotiating steep driveways daily that would extend one side while fully compressing the other

For those making it this far and not quite sure what part i'm referring to;

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/31307853702/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Maybe the dealer is on to something and your cleaning practices are really what's causing harm since you've had this same issue on different cars. Why don't you try changing your cleaning routine and see how the parts hold up. I can't give you an answer on the problem but I can suggest using the process of elimination to track down the issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
ct22bye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Hi guys

In the process of fitting my third set of front top mounts in approx 12k miles / 2.5 years

The first set failed around 6k miles after picking up the car (brand new order), i had clunking noise when reversing and winding lock on the wheel, they were easily diagnosed as faulty as you could feel them clicking resting your palm over the top mount from under the hood and dry steering. dealer replaced these under warranty and reimbursed me cost to have alignment done

The dealer commented this was rare and that they hadn't seen them fail so soon on a relatively low mile car - He asked me if high pressured under the guards as the water can remove the bearing grease. At the time i just disregarded it as i couldn't fathom how water would get into a sealed rubber boot - but yep i do on occasion removes wheels to do a thorough clean, and for regular washes i spray fender liner with apc and stick the wand under the guards to blow out dirt

Fast forward another 6k miles, since then i installed the tractive suspension with brand new front top mounts - i built complete pnp front and rear struts with oe parts so i didn't have to disassemble my oe struts. Same washing practice since new and once again i'm getting the tell tale clunking sound of failed bearings

So i'm wondering am i just unlucky, or is there something to the dealers comment that high pressure water can remove grease from inside the bearing boot

Weirdly though, i've always had issues with top mounts on BMW M cars, my e46 would chew through top mounts every 6 months, and i always chalked it up to negotiating steep driveways daily that would extend one side while fully compressing the other

For those making it this far and not quite sure what part i'm referring to;

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/31307853702/
I have exactly the same problem.
I replaced already 2 sets in aprox. 4-5000 miles, and now is clunking again on full turn to left and right and over some bumps.
All this started as soon as I changed the original springs with Eibach springs.
I suspect that is a problem coming from the springs (in my case), and I`m planning to change them with a set of KW HAS.
Please let me know how it goes in your case because I`m really keep to find out what was the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct22bye View Post
I have exactly the same problem.
I replaced already 2 sets in aprox. 4-5000 miles, and now is clunking again on full turn to left and right and over some bumps.
All this started as soon as I changed the original springs with Eibach springs.
I suspect that is a problem coming from the springs (in my case), and I`m planning to change them with a set of KW HAS.
Please let me know how it goes in your case because I`m really keep to find out what was the problem.
definitely test its the top mounts making the noise - you might just need rubber isolator sleeves on the ends of the springs

you can test a defective top mount easily - take the rubber boot off top mount in engine bay, rest your palm over top, and have someone dry steer. if the bearing is defective you will feel it clicking under your palm, it's very obvious
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
scoobyhummel3
Private
China
Rep
Drives: Mica White F80 M3

hiya, great to see you here.
my mate has similar problem due to over torque the top mount bolts. well i think is its made of aluminium.
instagram: scoobyhummel
Appreciate 0