BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #45
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I think I would also be looking at my car insurance policy at this point. Such a stressful situation. Sorry.
Car insurance generally doesn't pay for mechanical breakdowns.
      05-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #46
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunthalf View Post
I would think the reasoning in this would be cost. DINAN dealer shops mechanics would charge much less then BMW's in-house dealer mechanics would most likely.
Sure, but they should be willing to pay the rates at their dealers. You certainly had to pay those rates to have the hardware installed there.

One reason I support Dinan is because the work is suppose to be done at the dealer.

So F that, my car would be is staying there until it's fixed.

OP, it sounds like they are going to pay for the repairs, now they're just trying to mitigate the cost. Not your problem but if you're feeling generous, you can oblige, I guess.
Appreciate 2
minn1914037.50
      05-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #47
braunthalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I would think the reasoning in this would be cost. DINAN dealer shops mechanics would charge much less then BMW's in-house dealer mechanics would most likely.
Sure, but they should be willing to pay the rates at their dealers. You certainly had to pay those rates to have the hardware installed there.

One reason I support Dinan is because the work is suppose to be done at the dealer.

OP, it sounds like they are going to pay for the repairs, now they're just trying to mitigate the cost. Not your problem but if you're feeling generous, you can oblige, I guess.
I truly hope so, I can already hear my wife saying " I told you not to tune your car" rest of my life if the don't.
      05-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #48
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I truly hope so, I can already hear my wife saying " I told you not to tune your car" rest of my life if the don't.
I know the feeling; mines has the memory of an elephant; I'm still being scolded for my indiscretions from '09.. I digress..

I'm pretty sure Dinan is going to cover it, they wouldn't used works like "if" had there been any doubts.

But honestly, I don't think the tune caused the damage; the S55 motor can boogie, it has more than enough headroom for a few more horses that Dinan provided.

However, just the fact there their tune is attached and manipulating the vehicle's ECU; BMW has all right to pass to the buck on to Dinan, on principle. Bet you're happy you had gotten the Dinantronics instead of JB4 or a flash tune.

Anyways, It'll probably be a few weeks and you'll be back on the road. Good luck and keep us updated.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #49
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Quote:
But honestly, I don't think the tune caused the damage; the S55 motor can boogie, it has more than enough headroom for a more horses that Dinan provided.
exactly! this is why all of the "will the dealer know about my tune" threads have 2 different types of responses.

cars fail, motors fail, it happens, but anytime there is a tune the dealer will pin the cause of failure to the tune, even though its a known mechanical issue and the tune had nothing to do with the failure - the tune will be their scapegoat 100% of the time.

previous to my M550i, I had a 2016 Q50 Red sport that had the belt snapping issues that would essentially snap and ruin the motor within seconds...I was afraid of tuning the car because if I did, and the belt snapped, I knew the dealer would blame the tune for it even though its a common issue.

adding 60 hp and 80 torque won't blow the motor, and when we ask, "will the dealer know", to the naysayers it's not so we can abuse the car and expect the warranty to cover it, but when the car fails due to known mechanical issues, we want the warranty to cover it as the tune had nothing to do with it.

this is why I'm so iffy about tuning my car - essentially by tuning, I am pretty much betting that the car will have no failures for the next 3 years, because if it does, dealer will blame the tune.
Appreciate 4
      05-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #50
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Is your BMW dealer a Dinan dealer as well? If it is then I don't see why the car wouldn't be fixed there. Otherwise I can see them wanting to do the work through a Dinan dealer they know for various reasons, one being cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #51
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Any update from the OP?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #52
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Any update from the OP?
There has not been an update since Thursday, it's a long weekend so I'm sure I'll hear something on Tuesday.
      05-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #53
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

OP, sorry to hear about this. Appears to me that Dinan is beating around the bush. I belive that an engine may have to ordered from Germany, but even if BMW NA has a S55B30A within the US, Dinan needs to order through a US dealership or are they going to purchase a reconditioned S55B30A on eBay and ship to a independent mechanic? I wouldn't trust an independent shop to install, as I would ask "how many other S55 have you installed?" Probably will be zero, that's why I would demand a BMW center installing the engine, but it's probably within the adhesive Dinan warranty that Dinan has choice of installer and can use re-manufactored replacement parts.

"To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer, during normal business hours. Proof of purchase in the form of a lawful invoice is required. The Authorized Dinan Dealer will, without charge for parts or labor, repair or replace the defective Dinan component(s), as well as any original vehicle manufacturer's component(s) that may have been directly affected by a Dinan component, using new or authorized remanufactured parts. The decision to repair or replace said parts is at the sole discretion of Dinan and/or the original vehicle manufacturer."

After reviewing the Dinan Limited Warranty, I would object to a independent installer and demand a work shop of an Authorized Dinan Dealer.
ra2289305.50
GERMAN M34182.00
      05-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #54
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Shocking dealer update, got a call from Pacific BMW letting me know that I should come get my car because DINAN is not being responsive and they don't think it's going to be cover for them to work on it.

I was more then shocked when he gave me news like that. I asked if they were a DINAN dealer the day before coming in and when I brought that up he said as of last week we no longer are a DINAN dealer......???? and asked the service advisor if we could at least give DINAN a few more days to response considering it's a long weekend and bimmerfest was going on. He said I guess we can give it a few more days but they are not responsive, in which I explained again that it's a long weekend...
Sorry for any misspelling but my nerves are threw the roof. I hope I am right about giving them more time but my gut says I'm screwed.

This whole ordeal has my stress level threw the roof. I have had no car for almost two months and now it looks like I might have to buy a new one.....
      05-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #55
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'd give it another 48 hours at least OP, Dinan is most likely off today and the soonest they'll contact the dealership is tomorrow. I'm a bit surprised the dealer would call you today knowing this full well.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #56
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I'd give it another 48 hours at least OP, Dinan is most likely off today and the soonest they'll contact the dealership is tomorrow. I'm a bit surprised the dealer would call you today knowing this full well.

Best of luck.
I agree completely, I just wanted to give everyone an update from the dealer. I'm sure DINAN has this long weekend off and this is still processing. My fingers are truly crossed. Having to bike and Uber to work had not been easy.
      05-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #57
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Crossing my fingers and toes for you OP!

This would be truly unfortunate if they decide not to cover you especially having multiple Dinan parts on your vehicle.

No matter the outcome, at least you kept the thread updated so that maybe others can use your experience as a factor when they decide buy or not buy Dinan parts.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #58
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Today’s is Memorial Day and most companies are not working. I’d give it a couple more days. We’re all pulling for you
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #59
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
The fact that it's been this long...

Dinan tunes are extraordinarily expensive per performance gains vs all the top aftermarket tunes..

And they're apparently not being responsive now...

I'm seriously questioning why anyone would buy a Dinan tune or part.

Huge markup, minimal performance gains, all under the premise that there's an extensive comprehensive warranty- and now this?

even if they do pay lout at this point, and pony up a third party engine install, what a nightmare...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #60
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post

Dinan tunes are extraordinarily expensive per performance gains vs all the top aftermarket tunes..

Huge markup, minimal performance gains, all under the premise that there's an extensive comprehensive warranty- and now this?

even if they do pay lout at this point, and pony up a third party engine install, what a nightmare...
It has not been a week since the claim has been made so let's give them some time. Two months is with it sitting at South Bay bmw being misdiagnosed.
      05-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #61
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It has not been a week since the claim has been made so let's give them some time. Two months is with it sitting at South Bay bmw being misdiagnosed.
I didn't catch that part, but the rest holds true.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #62
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Shocking dealer update, got a call from Pacific BMW letting me know that I should come get my car because DINAN is not being responsive and they don't think it's going to be cover for them to work on it.

I was more then shocked when he gave me news like that. I asked if they were a DINAN dealer the day before coming in and when I brought that up he said as of last week we no longer are a DINAN dealer......???? and asked the service advisor if we could at least give DINAN a few more days to response considering it's a long weekend and bimmerfest was going on. He said I guess we can give it a few more days but they are not responsive, in which I explained again that it's a long weekend...
Sorry for any misspelling but my nerves are threw the roof. I hope I am right about giving them more time but my gut says I'm screwed.

This whole ordeal has my stress level threw the roof. I have had no car for almost two months and now it looks like I might have to buy a new one.....
I'm no Dinan fan, but the above is the dealer being a complete ass. Give Dinan a few more days. Call them tomorrow and let them know what the asshole dealer said.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      05-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #63
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:

Just because we can 😎

What do you you expecting on a long weekend?

I'm pretty sure everything gonna be okay for OP.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #64
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

First of all sorry about all of this and thank you for sharing this with us.

Second, unless they (Dinan) have a damn good reason they are not going to warranty this they can forget selling anymore tunes in this very competitive market on BP. As they can see they should know their reputation is already very iffy and this will kill whatever was left of it.

But, I agree it has only been a week so hopefully they uphold their end of the bargain. Assuming their isn’t anything we don’t no about from your end in regard as to what was done with the car.
Appreciate 3
ra2289305.50
Ibiza3611.50
      05-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #65
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

The dealership is just bitching around because the car takes a bay or space somewhere and they know they not getting the business to fix the car. So no money for the dealer.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #66
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I get where you are coming from, but just because it is a third party install isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There are plenty of nightmare stories of shoddy BMW dealer work. In my area I’d trust one BMW dealer with this and one independent shop equally.
Appreciate 1