EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2018, 05:55 AM   #45
Jay_bee_UK
Enlisted Member
Jay_bee_UK's Avatar
29
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 CP
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Preston

iTrader: (0)

Just sold my 2013 GT-R due to needing something a little more practical and I'm due to pick up a 2016 M3 CP tomorrow afternoon. If I didn't need the practicality of the M3 (compared to the GT-R), I would definitely not have sold the GT-R.
Before I bought the GT-R two years ago, I had a deposit down on an M4, but after driving my mates GT-R, it was a no brainer. Got my deposit back and bought a GT-R. IMO, the M3 is a step down (albeit the interior finish on the M3 is a bit nicer). Will know more once I've picked the M up, but longer term I will return the GT-R, nothing like them IMO.

Last edited by Jay_bee_UK; 08-30-2018 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #46
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
6366
Rep
7,759
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey357 View Post
Iíve just sold my Gtr for an m4, and itís a different animal altogether, but with a little work like stage 1 tune and exhaust, it will be as good as the Gtr without the ridiculous maintenance and repair bills 😎
Is the GT-R ,more expensive to maintain than a BMW M car?
__________________
F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic - M Performance Exhaust | I01 i3 REx - LCI
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #47
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
165
Rep
306
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sarasota

iTrader: (0)

The two aren't really comparable honestly. One is high performance, non luxury car. The other is a luxury sports sedan/coupe that shines in its dual role of being able to be a comfortable daily while also an occasional weekend track car.

Fit and finish would be higher on the luxury car but that's not the usual reason someone gets a GT-R. If a more practical/daily is the goal with good performance then obviously the M3 would better serve that purpose. Pure performance wise however it would be GT-R all day.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #48
Boostd4
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2009 IP GTR Premium
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Funny, I was considering getting an M3 to replace my GTR as I have 2 young ones and rarely drive the GTR anymore (1000 miles roughly last year). But it sounds like I'd be underwhelmed. I do have a 2018 Honda Accord as a daily...so it's feasible to keep the GTR as a "me time" car.

As far as the bashing goes from previous posts...it's fairly obvious that person has never set foot in a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #49
R1-Racer
Enlisted Member
R1-Racer's Avatar
30
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3, 2013 GT-R
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: WNC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostd4 View Post
Funny, I was considering getting an M3 to replace my GTR as I have 2 young ones and rarely drive the GTR anymore (1000 miles roughly last year). But it sounds like I'd be underwhelmed. I do have a 2018 Honda Accord as a daily...so it's feasible to keep the GTR as a "me time" car.

As far as the bashing goes from previous posts...it's fairly obvious that person has never set foot in a GTR.
The M3 is definitely not underwhelming compared to the GT-R, especially if your GT-R is a stock turbos / pump gas car. The M3 with Bootmod3 only (in terms of power), is very fun to drive and feels plenty fast in most situations. The tune really feels good in the car.

Yes, my GT-R is much faster, but it makes 170whp more than an FBO GT-R because of the turbo kit I'm running. Prior to that turbo upgrade, the GT-R never had the wow factor for me and it likely wasn't much faster if at all than the M3 tuned once rolling. Naturally it pulls much harder from a stop because of the sheer grip it offers.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #50
Boostd4
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2009 IP GTR Premium
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1-Racer View Post
The M3 is definitely not underwhelming compared to the GT-R, especially if your GT-R is a stock turbos / pump gas car. The M3 with Bootmod3 only (in terms of power), is very fun to drive and feels plenty fast in most situations. The tune really feels good in the car.

Yes, my GT-R is much faster, but it makes 170whp more than an FBO GT-R because of the turbo kit I'm running. Prior to that turbo upgrade, the GT-R never had the wow factor for me and it likely wasn't much faster if at all than the M3 tuned once rolling. Naturally it pulls much harder from a stop because of the sheer grip it offers.
Yeah, my car is basically an FBO E85 car. So I'm still a little short of your upgraded turbos, but the car is still brutally fast.

I'm kinda like you though, I don't track the car (possibly in the future) but I just go out and have fun with it. I guess the thing that has always drawn me to the M3 (all of the generations) was the focus on the all around driving experience. The one thing I get from the GTR is that it simply hates going legal speeds...but it shines when you dip into felony speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:27 AM   #51
Humdizzle
Lieutenant
459
Rep
558
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

I had an FBO E85 GTR as well.

In terms of performance the GTR is ahead. mine was a bit over 600whp and it never had issues putting down power on MPSS with 20s. It just always hooks up.

The M3 wins in the interior and refinement departments. Its a much better place to be. The GTR sucks when you drive it at normal speeds. The M3 excels at both slow and fast driving. Add to that you have RWD and a manual.. there is much more involvement with the drive.

Another thing to consider is value. GTR is a much smarter place to park your money.

2010 GTR's are still going for $50k. (30k depreciation over 8 years)
2015 F80 M3 are going for $45-50k. (30k depreciation over 3 years)
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #52
WIKDF80
Totaled
WIKDF80's Avatar
276
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Redondo Beach

iTrader: (0)

One looks like the side of a barn and the other, an exotic model. The choice is really pretty clear. Anything can be made to go faster as well.
__________________
///M Power AW 17 F80 ZCP DCT /// Macht Schnell spacers /// Macht Schnell comp springs /// RW Carbon /// VF Engineering Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #53
Jojipoji
Second Lieutenant
131
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Avon CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKDF80 View Post
One looks like the side of a barn and the other, an exotic model. The choice is really pretty clear. Anything can be made to go faster as well.
Uhm I don’t think anyone has a 8 second f80. Do you realize how many gtrs are in the 8 seconds let alone 7s? One is the best daily driver ever, and the other is king of streets (racing). You will never see a f80 win tx2k, 1/4 mile or any roll racing event. I get you like the f8x platform but let’s get real. If you want a sports car you get the gtr, if you want a sports sedan you get a f80.

Not everything can be made to go “faster”. You’re limited on the f8x platform.

I want to go faster so I sold my gtr for a f80 - says no one.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #54
WIKDF80
Totaled
WIKDF80's Avatar
276
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Redondo Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojipoji View Post
Uhm I don’t think anyone has a 8 second f80. Do you realize how many gtrs are in the 8 seconds let alone 7s? One is the best daily driver ever, and the other is king of streets (racing). You will never see a f80 win tx2k, 1/4 mile or any roll racing event. I get you like the f8x platform but let’s get real. If you want a sports car you get the gtr, if you want a sports sedan you get a f80.

Not everything can be made to go “faster”. You’re limited on the f8x platform.

I want to go faster so I sold my gtr for a f80 - says no one.
It's called all wheel drive genius. And it still looks like the side of a barn.

Every car is technically "limited" when being made to go faster. I guess what I should have said was, any car can be made to go fast enough. My M3 is fast enough, with a better interior and 4-door functionality that ugly-zilla will just never have. The GTR is faster. Good for it. Plenty of faster cars out there.
__________________
///M Power AW 17 F80 ZCP DCT /// Macht Schnell spacers /// Macht Schnell comp springs /// RW Carbon /// VF Engineering Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #55
Jojipoji
Second Lieutenant
131
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Avon CT

iTrader: (0)

Lol so what you’re saying is, you care about comfort and looks and not actually performance. Typical.

I have a f80 but I don’t have delusions of grandeur. The f8x is not a race car, not even close. It doesn’t hold a candle to z06s, gtrs, etc performance wise. It’s the best looking sports sedan/comfortable daily driver out there.

But to denegrate a gtr because it looks like a side of a barn is laughable. You’re a typical douche m3 driver that thinks they’re the shit because you leased a m3 dct. You are slow as is your car. Keep flexing bro. You’re so cool!

*edit* looking at your profile pic of your car...it all makes sense. You put a damn ugly stripe down the middle of the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKDF80 View Post
It's called all wheel drive genius. And it still looks like the side of a barn.

Every car is technically "limited" when being made to go faster. I guess what I should have said was, any car can be made to go fast enough. My M3 is fast enough, with a better interior and 4-door functionality that ugly-zilla will just never have. The GTR is faster. Good for it. Plenty of faster cars out there.

Last edited by Jojipoji; 11-28-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #56
Topspeed
fast enough
Topspeed's Avatar
South Africa
33
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKDF80 View Post
One looks like the side of a barn and the other, an exotic model. The choice is really pretty clear. Anything can be made to go faster as well.
Funny how almost 9 years later the side of a barn still draws more attention than an "exotic model".

Can't be serious about the exotic model crap. A 420d looks nothing like an exotic model.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #57
m4pat
New Member
6
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: OC, Cali

iTrader: (0)

Owned both for the same amount of driving time and I love both cars but it comes down to what you're using the car for.

For reference I put around 15k miles on my 2013 GTR and about 14k miles on my 2018 M4 DCT

DD: the M4 wins, not even close. The soft suspension mode on the GTR is weak, might as well keep it in normal mode. The adjustable settings of steering/suspension/dct/throttle makes the M4 a much more bearable car driving on the streets. The M4 has a lot of sound deadening so you can easily hear music in the car, my GTR felt loud at all times even with the music bumped all the way up. Also the transmission has a lot of "mechanical" sounds that you have to get used to. One thing I'm surprised most people haven't mentioned is the amount of time the GTR takes to warm up the transmission. I've always babied the GTR after cold starts up to the operating transmission temp, which would take atleast 10+ miles. The M4 I feel warms up in half the time, so if you live close to work then the M4 has more fun per miles

FBO mods: Clearly the GTR is faster and responds to mods well but from a roll its not a huge difference. The GTR puts down power better but the M4 can hold its own from a roll. The launch control of the GTR was my favorite part, makes the M4 laughable. At the end of the day the M4 feels very fast overall, no slouch what so ever

Fun factor: I honestly believe the M4 is more fun. the M4 can go sideways as it pleases and you need more skill to drive it at the limit. The GTR has a huge amount of grip and its much easier to drive, but did you really enjoy the driver connection to the car or did you enjoy the speeds that the GTR is capable of without much effort?

Reliability: My GTR never had issues but the transmission was always on my mind. It was a given that at some point I'd have to upgrade the transmission at some point even though DBA's (2012+ GTR) are more reliable. The M4 has a crank hub issue thats always on my mind so regardless of car, both has their own problems. I'd take the GTR's transmission issue over the crank hub though. Cost wise of maintenance the cars are pretty close.

Looks: The GTR has and always will be a head turner. It might not look pretty to everyone but no one can mistake it for another car. Its big and it does not share the body with another model unlike the M4/4 series. The GTR is a massive dick magnet though and people will always try to race you, follow you around and egg you on. If you like the attention then the GTR is for you. The attention does get old over time.

In the end if you daily the car more, you'll love the M4 more.. more space, more enjoyable experience from point A to point B. If you want a toy on the side thats a rocket then the GTR is better because its the king of streets mod for mod. I hate to say it but the M4 is a better refined car, the GTR will always be a very fast toy.


Appreciate 4
      01-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #58
123M4
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: MW Dinan F82
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PugetSound

iTrader: (0)

After all of this... I would rather have the HPF e46 m3 or a e46 GTR. The Nissan is amazing but it's fugly compared to the old skylines or 300zx. Plus working on nissans fucking sucks. They design rear end links so you have to take apart the caliper like a fucking tetris game to just do brakes. They use cheap interior parts off other models. Just like Lamborghini uses cheap audi a4 clusters. Is it faster than a stock M4 yeah but if we just wanted fast track times we would of just bought a Z06 or C7R.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #59
Jojipoji
Second Lieutenant
131
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Avon CT

iTrader: (0)

You couldn’t be more ignorant and retarded. You’d rather have a e46 than a r35 gtr? R35s comes with brembos, one pin holds the pads in place. The interior shares nothing with any other Nissan. Stop it with your idiotic fanboyism and at least base it off some facts. I takes me 45 mins tops to change all 4 pads when I switch to my track pads.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 123M4 View Post
After all of this... I would rather have the HPF e46 m3 or a e46 GTR. The Nissan is amazing but it's fugly compared to the old skylines or 300zx. Plus working on nissans fucking sucks. They design rear end links so you have to take apart the caliper like a fucking tetris game to just do brakes. They use cheap interior parts off other models. Just like Lamborghini uses cheap audi a4 clusters. Is it faster than a stock M4 yeah but if we just wanted fast track times we would of just bought a Z06 or C7R.

Last edited by Jojipoji; 01-15-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #60
123M4
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: MW Dinan F82
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PugetSound

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojipoji View Post
You couldn’t be more ignorant and retarded. You’d rather have a e46 than a r35 gtr? R35s comes with brembos, one pin holds the pads in place. The interior shares nothing with any other Nissan. Stop it with your idiotic fanboyism and at least base it off some facts. I takes me 45 mins tops to change all 4 pads when I switch to my track pads.
Yes I would rather own e46 GTR or the HPF M3 over any datsun ever made. Someone is salty I struck a nerve over making an opinion on not liking working on nissans. Plus that they use the same cheap materials in other vehicles. Calls me retarded takes 45 mins to change pads... I can turn rotors and do pads in that amount of time lol. You aren't mechanically inclined obviously. You must live in or by Stamford some sensitive ass dudes. Next

Last edited by 123M4; 01-16-2019 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Editing
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #61
Jojipoji
Second Lieutenant
131
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Avon CT

iTrader: (0)

So in essence youíre just a cry baby fanboy. You make a claim about the brakes being hard to work on. Then you say you can turn rotors and pads in 45 mins. Which is it you retard? If you need to tell yourself an e46 is what you rather have because thatís all you can afford to make yourself feel better, then you do you. Trying to talk to ignorant people is what I do all the time (Iím a lawyer). I know your kind, you live in a delusional world where you think you know everything. I like my burger medium FYI since thatís prob what you do for a living. Iíll sit here in my beautiful house enjoying my f80 m3 and gtr while you obsess over your old pos e46 which probably isnít even a m3. It probably just has fake badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123M4 View Post
Yes I would rather own e46 GTR or the HPF M3 over any datsun ever made. Someone is salty I struck a nerve over making an opinion on not liking working on nissans. Plus that they use the same cheap materials in other vehicles. Calls me retarded takes 45 mins to change pads... I can turn rotors and do pads in that amount of time lol. You aren't mechanically inclined obviously. You must live in or by Stamford some sensitive ass dudes. Next
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #62
wdskukm3
Lieutenant
wdskukm3's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
447
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Orland Park,IL

iTrader: (0)

Wow... So much argument between the the GTR and the M3. I'm getting my popcorn ready here.

But overall the GTR is a better car for performance. The M3 is a mix for everything else. I could have purchased a GTR over the M3 myself but I needed 4 doors at the time since I have a 4 year old daughter. The M3 is a great practical daily performance sedan. And after owning the M3 for 2 years I would definitely buy it again.
I would own both if I could. Both the M3 and GTR has always been my favorite cars to ever own. Maybe down the road I will pickup a GTR at some point. No way will I get rid of my M for anything else out there.
__________________
M Forever!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #63
123M4
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: MW Dinan F82
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PugetSound

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojipoji View Post
So in essence you’re just a cry baby fanboy. You make a claim about the brakes being hard to work on. Then you say you can turn rotors and pads in 45 mins. Which is it you retard? If you need to tell yourself an e46 is what you rather have because that’s all you can afford to make yourself feel better, then you do you. Trying to talk to ignorant people is what I do all the time (I’m a lawyer). I know your kind, you live in a delusional world where you think you know everything. I like my burger medium FYI since that’s prob what you do for a living. I’ll sit here in my beautiful house enjoying my f80 m3 and gtr while you obsess over your old pos e46 which probably isn’t even a m3. It probably just has fake badges.
I have a e30 325 e46 330ci e39 540i and a F82 M4 lol... but like I said I would rather have a e46 GTR. Do you even know what a e46 GTR is? It's worth more than any Nissan lol.... Speed is relative you can make Subaru foresters run under 10s you retard. Also I know you're a virgin bragging about your career on a car site. I made a claim about hating working on nissans, so will any other technician. I think for a lawyer you have little comprehension skills just like mechanical ones. You are on bmw forum calling people fan boys.. no shit sherlock lol. It's not my fault you didn't buy a r34 GTR. Fucking Nissan needed French engineers to save them.... Claiming brakes are easy takes 45 mins to replace pads retarded.... I never said brembo brakes you must be the coffee guy at your office. I'll be in Stamford this summer if you wanna lose your teeth.

Last edited by 123M4; 01-17-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #64
Jojipoji
Second Lieutenant
131
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 16 m3/15 gtr
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Avon CT

iTrader: (0)

My god bro you need your ADHD meds. This thread is about f8x vs R35 GTR. You mention you wouldnít drive a Gtr because the brakes were hard to work on and that the interior is shared with other Nissan products. You are wrong. Then you bring up cars you never drove such as a e46gtr. How can you make an EDUCATED comment if youíve never even sat in a e46gtr. You have three bmwís (or so you say). Think about it, if this is true- It means your partial and you canít formulate an educated opinion. I.E. you are a fanboy. Threatening someone one the Internet -what are you 17 and living at home? Did mommy and daddy lease your m4 for you? Haha youíre a chump. Fíing millennials lol. Good for you man. Iím so scared youíre going to come beat me up lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123M4 View Post
I have a e30 325 e46 330ci e39 540i and a F82 M4 lol... but like I said I would rather have a e46 GTR. Do you even know what a e46 GTR is? It's worth more than any Nissan lol.... Speed is relative you can make Subaru foresters run under 10s you retard. Also I know you're a virgin bragging about your career on a car site. I made a claim about hating working on nissans, so will any other technician. I think for a lawyer you have little comprehension skills just like mechanical ones. You are on bmw forum calling people fan boys.. no shit sherlock lol. It's not my fault you didn't buy a r34 GTR. Fucking Nissan needed French engineers to save them.... Claiming brakes are easy takes 45 mins to replace pads retarded.... I never said brembo brakes you must be the coffee guy at your office. I'll be in Stamford this summer if you wanna lose your teeth.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #65
R1-Racer
Enlisted Member
R1-Racer's Avatar
30
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3, 2013 GT-R
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: WNC

iTrader: (0)

This thread has me rolling!

I still have both cars, but the GT-R is likely selling to a friend this year. I agree with most comments here. The GT-R is the car I take out to have a blast and if I want to be seen. I truthfully do prefer the look of my M3 more, but the GT-R does attract more compliments or eyes.

The GT-R with turbo upgrades is just so fun, it feels fast and it moves so suddenly, it's the closest thing to a superbike I've experienced. Given that it is still stock internally and reliable, it's hard to beat. The interior is not great and I feel the car could use a set of Ohlins.

The M3 is the perfect daily driver for me, I love the overall package. If it weren't for the crank hub thing, I'd upgrade turbos and keep the car for many years. It will never hang with the GT-R in terms of grip or speed, but it is a fantastic car to live with. Mine happened to come with coilovers. I keep them in a harder setting, so I don't have the smoothest ride, but the car is flat and carves very nicely.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #66
Debtm3
Enlisted Member
13
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 18 m3
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Freehold

iTrader: (0)

I always wanted a gtr but I have kids and the m3 made more sense. and my fun car is a gt3rs! Btw there is nothing wrong with flipping burgers...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST