Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-03-2019, 03:18 AM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
i8?

It's a lawnmower in a super car body

Glad you didn't choose the Ghibli OP. That thing is another POS. My business partner thinks driving Maserati's is cool. He had a Ghibli and just got a GT. I don't have the heart to tell him Maserati's suck.

Good luck with the M2. Much better choice
I like the GT for what it is: an old school car still sold today. The car has to be almost 10 years old. I remember when it first came out how beautiful it was. Cars have gotten much faster and better since then but there is something timeless about the GT design with a V8 and hydraulic steering. There are some good deals to be had in GTs in fact I almost got one.

I think we are being a bit unfair to the i8. The i8 does have a deceptive design. It screams supercar, but it performs on level with a M3/4 in most cases. But that's not all it was built for. It's a hybrid performance car designed and first built when that concept was still novel. I think it still looks great! BMW missed the ball with the refresh. They should have given it 400+ hp but I think they didn't want to step on the 8 series.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #24
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
i8?

Glad you didn't choose the Ghibli OP. That thing is another POS. My business partner thinks driving Maserati's is cool. He had a Ghibli and just got a GT. I don't have the heart to tell him Maserati's suck.

I like the GT for what it is: an old school car still sold today. The car has to be almost 10 years old. I remember when it first came out how beautiful it was. Cars have gotten much faster and better since then but there is something timeless about the GT design with a V8 and hydraulic steering. There are some good deals to be had in GTs in fact I almost got one.

I think we are being a bit unfair to the i8. The i8 does have a deceptive design. It screams supercar, but it performs on level with a M3/4 in most cases. But that's not all it was built for. It's a hybrid performance car designed and first built when that concept was still novel. I think it still looks great! BMW missed the ball with the refresh. They should have given it 400+ hp but I think they didn't want to step on the 8 series.
I was just being a wise ass and slightly harsh, especially concerning the GT. I still think the Ghibli is trash. He just got it and the deal was really good as they just want to move them. The interior is so dated as Maserati has been making the GT for what seems like 10+ years. Definitely love the V8 sound and Hydraulic steering.

Wife and I were at Thermal M school a few years back and a dude in our class had a GT. He was under the impression it was a "good" track car. When he asked the instructors they laughed.

Our opinions on the i8 will obviously differ. I'll just say it could have/should have been SO much more.

To me it's just another annoying example of BMW dropping the ball when they should have run with it!
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      03-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #25
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i8?

I was just being a wise ass and slightly harsh, especially concerning the GT. I still think the Ghibli is trash. He just got it and the deal was really good as they just want to move them. The interior is so dated as Maserati has been making the GT for what seems like 10+ years. Definitely love the V8 sound and Hydraulic steering.

Wife and I were at Thermal M school a few years back and a dude in our class had a GT. He was under the impression it was a "good" track car. When he asked the instructors they laughed.

Our opinions on the i8 will obviously differ. I'll just say it could have/should have been SO much more.

To me it's just another annoying example of BMW dropping the ball when they should have run with it!
I couldn't agree with you more, the Ghibli is garbage. The GT is not what I would consider a track car either, but a fun cruiser. The i8 is underpowered for what most people want it to be.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Thanks for all the comments guys, I went a different way from both the options. I ended up opting for a M2. As I said, I've had the F80 M3 and E92 M3 before and while I wanted a M4 sort-of, after driving the M2, I just couldn't ignore it. Even was considering a M6 Gran Coupe but quite honestly, after driving the M2...that was really it for me. I had been talking other dealers for a Jaguar F Type and a Maserati Ghibli as well and had test drives scheduled for the coming back. But literally after driving the M2 and getting out of it, I told my guy to let's make a deal. Now anyway, let's see how long it keeps me entertained for. I got the MPE exhaust and I have got to say, it's absolutely amazing. WAY better than my F80 M3. Like a thousand times.
The M2 or M2C? Either way, congrats!
I got the 2018 M2 so no C but it's got the MPE exhaust and that sound, especially with the flaps open is sublime. And essentially the main reason why I went with this over the Competition. Just doesn't sound the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more, the Ghibli is garbage. The GT is not what I would consider a track car either, but a fun cruiser. The i8 is underpowered for what most people want it to be.

I'd go for a Challenger Hellcat Widebody before I would the Maserati even if thery were the same price. The Redeye is FCA's fasted car now that they have split off Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #28
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
I'd go for a Challenger Hellcat Widebody before I would the Maserati even if thery were the same price. The Redeye is FCA's fasted car now that they have split off Ferrari.
Different cars for different purposes, I have a soft spot for the GT. The Ghibli should be last on the list of everyone's car list however, I just don't get it. I love the Hellcat, but it's in desperate need of a styling upgrade. IMHO the retro modern look is very early 2000's. I used to love the Challenger's stylings too. Just yesterday I was admiring the new GT500. Ford has been doing some amazing things with the Mustang these last few years, but I've never been a Mustang guy. THIS, however, has me drooling! Anyway... back on topic.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #29
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
R8 V8 yes agree 100%, V10+ is the fun one, the 14-15 I believe with the new tranny are also much better than the original auto in there
Yup. Went from an M4 daily / 1400hp+ GTR combo to an R8 V10 with exhaust and love every minute in it. If not I'd have sold it like I did my F10 M5 as soon as it got boring.

IDK maintenance wise if you got a bad v10 motor/ trans combo + MAG ride you could be out some serious cash same as an i8

Like has been stated in here they have depreciated DRASTICALLY, as someone who picked a loaded M4 over my i8 order because I was terrified about a hybrid with 400hp and kia sized tires that was not very functional day to day. Seeing the values now I feel I made the right choice avoiding it. Also the dealer I've bought my last 10 bmws from when they backed the i8 out for me to test drive. Its battery was very low so the 3cyl motor kicked on and man if that thing didn't make me crying hearing a dirt bike sound coming from a 100k+ car lol

That said you can get a 10-20k mile CPO 16-17 i8 as cheap or cheaper than an R8 or a brand new M4 lol so if you just wanna break necks and cruise i8 isn't a bad choice.

Functionality being 6'1 the i8 was a chore to get in and out of much like the Aventador I just test drove.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #30
Negtvions
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

I've always wondered why BMW hasn't given the M treatment to the i8.
Seems there would be a market for an Mi8...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

True story : last night i decided to read one of those slideshow internet articles on ‘the most beautiful cars for sale today’. The second slide was the i8, so i immediately closed the window. Opinion invalid.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #32
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I was out cruising the other day in the 458. Pass by an i8 and he flips a u-turn and follows me to the next stop light.

"Hey man! Let's pull over somewhere and trade cars I'll let you take this thing for a spin !!"

I just said no thanks I have to get home. He looked disappointed. Lol in my head I was like 'do you know you're driving a 3 cylinder car ??'

Even if I was in my f80 i would still say no.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 3
Flacht31136.50
      04-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I was out cruising the other day in the 458. Pass by an i8 and he flips a u-turn and follows me to the next stop light.

"Hey man! Let's pull over somewhere and trade cars I'll let you take this thing for a spin !!"

I just said no thanks I have to get home. He looked disappointed. Lol in my head I was like 'do you know you're driving a 3 cylinder car ??'

ouch! That's harsh!

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:28 PM   #34
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
True story : last night i decided to read one of those slideshow internet articles on ‘the most beautiful cars for sale today’. The second slide was the i8, so i immediately closed the window. Opinion invalid.
I wonder if somewhere in an alternate universe,
An i8 owner is saying the same thing about an F80

Never mind me, it’s tequila night!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #35
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One
I wonder if somewhere in an alternate universe,
An i8 owner is saying the same thing about an F80
i8 is an all-around gorgeous car.
From any angle.
Inside and out.

Not very fast.
Not very easy to get in and out of.

But beautiful nonetheless.

For what it's worth, this is coming from an F80 guy who loves the shape and curves of F80 body. Who drove the i8 on multiple occasions.

a

P.S.: Sadly, BMW had abandoned power-train development on i-series cars soon after launch. Even though an i8 could have used, and sales benefited from, an N20B20 drop-in, it was never executed.

Last edited by afadeev; 05-14-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:12 AM   #36
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

ouch! That's harsh!
He just told him, "no thanks, got to go". It seemed like a polite enough response...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:13 AM   #37
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:

ouch! That's harsh!
He just told him, "no thanks, got to go". It seemed like a polite enough response...
What was in his head was harsh... in a funny way!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #38
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

I looked at the Alfa’s QV and Audi TT RS for over a year before getting the M3 ZCP and even then the deciding factor was I was able to get a significantly discounted new car with all options except CCB. If the M3/M4 had the i8 body, it would have been no contest. I would have paid full price for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
i8 is an all-around gorgeous car.
From any angle.
Inside and out.

Not very fast.
Not very easy to get in and out of.

But beautiful nonetheless.

For what it's worth, this is coming from an F80 guy who loves the shape and cures for F80 body. Who drove the i8 on multiple occasions.

a

P.S.: Sadly, BMW had abandoned power-train development on i-series cars soon after launch. Even though an i8 could have used, and sales benefited from, an N20B20 drop-in, it was never executed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #39
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
The V8 and V10 are truly different cars. I barely even consider the V8 to be a real "R8" considering how underwhelming it is.
LOL. In case you didn't know the original R8 had a V8.

Remember it was engineered in 2007 to compete with the 997 C4S. They discontinued the V8 when Porsche/VW merged so it didn't step on 911 sales.

R8 V8 with the right exhaust and a couple tweaks is an amazing and engaging mid engine car to drive. Sold my F80 after a couple months as its a bit sterile, the R8 is a keeper. Its not a drag strip car if that's what you're looking for, but a drivers car. You gotta take it out and ring it, not drive it like a high torque M3 or 335i.

I'd pass on the i8 for all the reasons already stated including the Prius wheels. I'd consider it if you could pipe in the R8 V8 Fabspeed sound however

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 05-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0