Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #199
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Main reason I service mine at the dealer: service loaner
And they will take care of all Porsche's issues/recall why you there plus brand new Cayenne for you to try out ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #200
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
For those that picked up a used P car, what do you do about off warranty fixes? I'm assuming those who did, included the cost of non warrantied maintenance in their decision? That's the part that frightens me when contemplating a used P.
the car has been out for 2 years now. The only issue I have seen is water pump leak. Mine was done under recall. Guys have been tracking 911 base w more than 10k miles. No issue.

Needless to say P maintenance is not cheap if you take it to dealer. thats what indy shops r for.

if you daily it, its up to you how frequent you want to change oil. Scheduled maintenance is every 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #201
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
the car has been out for 2 years now. The only issue I have seen is water pump leak. Mine was done under recall. Guys have been tracking 911 base w more than 10k miles. No issue.

Needless to say P maintenance is not cheap if you take it to dealer. thats what indy shops r for.

if you daily it, its up to you how frequent you want to change oil. Scheduled maintenance is every 10k miles.
20+ k miles so far in my 2017 and no issues. It's a DD.
Appreciate 1
quattr0153.00
      05-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #202
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Quote:

Got kids? How is it working?
      05-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #203
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
No kids, it's mostly just me driving it to work which is a long highway commute. It's fun but I alternate with my other car sometimes. Porsche seats are very ergonomic but it's still a stiff car and I get beat up a bit too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #204
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I am considering a 991.2.

Great Thread!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #205
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
For those that picked up a used P car, what do you do about off warranty fixes? I'm assuming those who did, included the cost of non warrantied maintenance in their decision? That's the part that frightens me when contemplating a used P.
P Car repairs aren't that much more than BMW. Higher yes, but you're still in the same stratosphere.

Let's put it this way, Porsche repairs are still a fraction of what you'd pay for Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren etc. I've heard plenty of stories of McLaren owners racking up $20-$30k in diagnostic charges alone...I'd never own one of those out of warranty.

At the end of the day, it's pay-to-play, but with Porsche you're not looking at a crazy amount beyond the BMWs and Mercedes of the world. Also, I would argue that generally Porsche's maintain better as well so you'll run into less quantity of issues...net net it probably balances out IMO.
      03-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #206
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
P Car repairs aren't that much more than BMW. Higher yes, but you're still in the same stratosphere.

Let's put it this way, Porsche repairs are still a fraction of what you'd pay for Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren etc. I've heard plenty of stories of McLaren owners racking up $20-$30k in diagnostic charges alone...I'd never own one of those out of warranty.

At the end of the day, it's pay-to-play, but with Porsche you're not looking at a crazy amount beyond the BMWs and Mercedes of the world. Also, I would argue that generally Porsche's maintain better as well so you'll run into less quantity of issues...net net it probably balances out IMO.
Totally agree here and have also heard the horror stories on Mclarens. Porsches are more reliable overall in any regard. They’re better built and I think most able to take track use without little to no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #207
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yup pay to play. mclarens are by far the worst though.

my 458 costs me about $900 annually for fluid changes and inspection (I've had it for 3 years / 6000 miles). I had to replace a rattling shock for $3000. other than that no problems. everything works. Its really not bad when you consider the MSRP of the car was close to 300k.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #208
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post

most definitely pay to play.

I got hit up for $$ on gearbox rebuild on my 6TT after a few years of cheap “oil service and inspections”.

$60k for a new M3 with free maintenance for 4yr is a great deal for the Perfomance and practicality you get
Appreciate 0