Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #67
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

For whatever it's worth, my f80 m3 has been amazing over 21k miles considering it's a first year model, stripper model, etc....I mean that in terms of interior hold-up, kids, everything. Car is brand new, no noises, no creaks, no squeaks, no rattles. Exterior paint from rock chips is the only thing taking a hit.

I have a special passion for Porsche and owned one model, and look forward to owning another perhaps when my 2 boys are just old enough to enjoy climbing into the back seat, and not yet old enough to complain

That being said, I think there's several categories here that need to be explored:

1. Someone who values driving experience above all else.
2. Someone who wants the ultimate performing vehicle that modern design offers and finds the right balance in Porsche's current offerings
3. Someone who wants a "show stopper" looker as M4ymb described above
4. Someone who looks at a rear or mid-engined vehicle with a specific and long heritage and design ethos and has a passion for those things

Probably a few more. My point here is this:

1. For #1 and #4 heritage, design ethos, and driving experience - go backwards to perhaps a 993. You'll get the best of all worlds and quite frankly besides the initial entry cost, there's very little cost risk. It's relatively inexpensive to own and maintain, resale is rock solid stable or growing, DIY friendly. The only real risk is significant engine/transmission work, and even that is manageable with a competent independent who charges reasonable rates.

2. For the performance aspects, and especially if you are willing to tune, the 991.2 turbos are going to be where it's at.

3. For the show-stopper/modder, Porsche is a great platform but you can't complain about cost since everything is super low volume-damn-near-bespoke creations on a platform where owners are expected to drop $1000+ for rear tires every 7k miles without blinking.

Modern Porsches (2005-2015) to me drive more like 80s/90s supercars than anything else. Meaning they aren't that impressive until you push them because they are so competent that at anything less than significant speeds they just don't drive that well and you just notice the sacrifices.

By comparison, a 964/993 is that sweet spot of all the elements Porsche was built upon while being at the relative pinnacle of their respective eras.

All that aside, if you want a good modern porsche that will hold value, get the last generation 991.1 naturally aspirated model-twist of your choice. Porsche-philes will yearn for naturally aspirated versions within a few years. Just like lots still hold air cooled near and dear.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #68
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
For whatever it's worth, my f80 m3 has been amazing over 21k miles considering it's a first year model, stripper model, etc....I mean that in terms of interior hold-up, kids, everything. Car is brand new, no noises, no creaks, no squeaks, no rattles. Exterior paint from rock chips is the only thing taking a hit.

I have a special passion for Porsche and owned one model, and look forward to owning another perhaps when my 2 boys are just old enough to enjoy climbing into the back seat, and not yet old enough to complain

That being said, I think there's several categories here that need to be explored:

1. Someone who values driving experience above all else.
2. Someone who wants the ultimate performing vehicle that modern design offers and finds the right balance in Porsche's current offerings
3. Someone who wants a "show stopper" looker as M4ymb described above
4. Someone who looks at a rear or mid-engined vehicle with a specific and long heritage and design ethos and has a passion for those things

Probably a few more. My point here is this:

1. For #1 and #4 heritage, design ethos, and driving experience - go backwards to perhaps a 993. You'll get the best of all worlds and quite frankly besides the initial entry cost, there's very little cost risk. It's relatively inexpensive to own and maintain, resale is rock solid stable or growing, DIY friendly. The only real risk is significant engine/transmission work, and even that is manageable with a competent independent who charges reasonable rates.

2. For the performance aspects, and especially if you are willing to tune, the 991.2 turbos are going to be where it's at.

3. For the show-stopper/modder, Porsche is a great platform but you can't complain about cost since everything is super low volume-damn-near-bespoke creations on a platform where owners are expected to drop $1000+ for rear tires every 7k miles without blinking.

Modern Porsches (2005-2015) to me drive more like 80s/90s supercars than anything else. Meaning they aren't that impressive until you push them because they are so competent that at anything less than significant speeds they just don't drive that well and you just notice the sacrifices.

By comparison, a 964/993 is that sweet spot of all the elements Porsche was built upon while being at the relative pinnacle of their respective eras.

All that aside, if you want a good modern porsche that will hold value, get the last generation 991.1 naturally aspirated model-twist of your choice. Porsche-philes will yearn for naturally aspirated versions within a few years. Just like lots still hold air cooled near and dear.
Good post. Agree on most except the last part about driving. I think the 911 and 991 especially feels extremely special when not pushed and even more special when you can wring it out. Their suspensions are so advanced and compliant on the street yet are so tight and capable with lots of grip and feel and this makes them drive so well at normal speeds. Yes they do provide world class handling and performance aspects, but they always have. I think they, and many performance cars in general have gotten so competent and so complaint as every day cars (not to mention the 911 has limits that are beyond approachable on the street) that people feel you need to push them to feel that, but I think you can appreciate the dialed in (engineering masterpiece) nature at 25 mph or all out on a windy road or circuit.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #69
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise
The 991 generation for me is the ideal GT car. What it can do performance-wise and handling are immense. The 'GT' models are hard to describe in words. I understand why people are paying 2x Msrp after being in a friends not too long ago.
I am excited to check out the new turbo 911 models. Porsche knows, and is one of the best when it comes to turbo'd cars. Reviews so far have been very positive and they do not dissapoint.

I don't think the 991 feels very big despite slightly growing. It's so nimble and truly drives like a very small, light car. I also agree with the above that it's purely sexy and has immense road presence.
When you sit in an M4 and compare it to the 991 then the 991 is not so big
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #70
mnikhil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Macan S

Test Drove a 991.2 c2s fitted with PDK and sport chrono. I don't have an m4 but I have done numerous test drives (currently in the market). In terms of sheer speed I honestly did not feel that the c2s was noticeably faster than the m4 but can handle the speed better and definitely feels more planted. The turbos in the .2 create a similar power band to the m4. However the sound was remarkably better than the f82 imho and this car did not have PSE.

The weather conditions weren't the best for spirited driving but I put the car in "Sport Mode" and activated the "Sport Suspension" via PASM(standard on the 991.2). I was able to push it on the freeway on ramp where I tried out Porsches latest marketing "gimmick" the sport response button. It definitely does something but I would need more time behind the wheel to give a real review. I would also need more time behind the wheel of the m4 and 911 to give an opinion on PDK v M DCT, both are fantastic systems and blow the zf8 out of the water.

In terms of technology this definitely is the most advanced 911. The touchscreen infotainment is nice but I would say BMW still has the edge in technology. Although I could be biased since my current and last 3 cars have all been BMWs. I just felt that the infotainment system was just not as user friendly as iDrive.

I also felt that the seats weren't as comfortable as the m4. I don't know if the 18-way would make much of a differance but I just felt like the seats were a little narrow and I am not a tall guy. All in all the 991.2 is an amazing platform but like others have said it is hard to justify $120k price tag.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #71
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I want a 993 coupe. Nothing like them. Missed the boat price wise though. It kills me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #72
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I went for the M4 because at the time it was my only NYC car and the 911 and the Jag F-Type were just not practical enough. Now that I have a Porsche Cayenne S as my "Practical" car I will rethink what I want for a fun car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #73
freeman727
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

If you’ve got the money do it. I bought a e90 M3 in 2012 and still have it. Bought a 991.2 C4S in 2017. Both still feel special but I have a bigger smile on when I drive the 991.2!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #74
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

Porsche 911 just took the Most Dependable Car award.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackner.../#532855c160b5

I have a 911.1 C4S and its intoxicating. And in the winter its been a riot. Once the 550M-Sport lease is up later this year, and thank heavens I leased it because they are coming in over $10K under residual (nothing like financial engineering), my eyes are on the M3 CS. Or another P-Car like a Targa. Hopefully the M3 tickles me right.
      02-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #75
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

I ordered one of the last 991.2 S models and picked it up- full clear bra ppf.
It is a joy to drive so far-

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  151.2 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  161.2 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Size:  162.6 KB
Name:  5.jpg