Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #23
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3613
Rep
15,763
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Quick update. ProTuningFreaks had one of their engineers from Denmark remote login to our laptop to try and finally get this resolved. No luck. Tune failed and bricked the DME again but fortunately he was able to reset the DME where I could start the car and drive home.

Conclusion from the engineer: From poking around at all the data in my car and all the tickets that were open on their end, my car came with the LATEST DME software from the factory that ProTuningFreaks has yet to crack. Therefor, my car is non-tunable until they get their top engineer/programmer back from vacation to get this resolved.

So the bad news is that I still have no tune. The good news is that the engineer said they are confident that the top engineer/programmer will solve this within a few weeks as they NEED to in order to obviously keep selling the BM3 tune to the public.
Weird, the BM3 portal shouldn't accept the activation number if there is no match for the software version on the vehicle.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #24
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Weird, the BM3 portal shouldn't accept the activation number if there is no match for the software version on the vehicle.
The VERY first problem I had in the beginning (before even trying to upload the tune itself) was to get the BM3 agent to accept the activation key before we could even proceed to try and tune the car. ProTuningFreaks had to remote in to do a lot of coding and programming on their end to even accept the activation/license key that I bought from them. They couldn't get my VIN and the activation key to sync at first.
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #25
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Weird, the BM3 portal shouldn't accept the activation number if there is no match for the software version on the vehicle.
Tom - just curious. Let's just hypothetically say I was able to physically bring my car to your shop for you to install the tune (assuming your shop was an official BM3 shop). After digesting everything that I have told you in this thread, could your shop do anything different to make this tune install? Or your results would be the same as mine since ProTuningFreaks has determined they simply haven't encountered the latest DME software in my car yet??

Local to me is a shop that is a BM3 shop that I could bring my car to but I am guessing they'll have no luck as well.
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3613
Rep
15,763
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Tom - just curious. Let's just hypothetically say I was able to physically bring my car to your shop for you to install the tune (assuming your shop was an official BM3 shop). After digesting everything that I have told you in this thread, could your shop do anything different to make this tune install? Or your results would be the same as mine since ProTuningFreaks has determined they simply haven't encountered the latest DME software in my car yet??

Local to me is a shop that is a BM3 shop that I could bring my car to but I am guessing they'll have no luck as well.
If the software version on the vehicle doesn't match the server - the activation key won't be accepted. If you were already speaking with support, something was possibly overridden on their end during troubleshooting.

We see tons of M3/M4s in day in and day out and have often come across non-matching software when the new models were released or updated. Usually a quick notify to PTF gets things up and running in no time and we can get back to flashing.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #27
TT DAWG
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

What do CAN and DME stand for? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #28
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

We see tons of M3/M4s in day in and day out and have often come across non-matching software when the new models were released or updated. Usually a quick notify to PTF gets things up and running in no time and we can get back to flashing.
Yeah well I guess I stumped PTF this time because even they have no idea what to do until the master engineer/programmer gets back from vacation to rescue this fiasco. Had to be my car
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #29
f80er
Major
f80er's Avatar
772
Rep
1,236
Posts

Drives: An M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Yeah well I guess I stumped PTF this time because even they have no idea what to do until the master engineer/programmer gets back from vacation to rescue this fiasco. Had to be my car
Its only a fiasco because they should have known right away that you had a newer version of firmware/software on your ECU. I remember when BM3 got rolling a lot of cars software wasn't supported and they were quick to get them onboard. I am sure they will get it right and with you only having 40 miles on the car enjoy it for what it is for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #30
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3613
Rep
15,763
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT DAWG View Post
What do CAN and DME stand for? Just curious.
CAN = Communication protocol
DME = Digital Motor Electronics (Engine Computer)
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #31
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio098 View Post
I contacted support yesterday and they were remote troubleshooting for an hour and a half with no luck. Windows defender is turned off also. I used the same laptop, software, and cable on my friend's M4 and it was able to detect his software.
Sounds like you are having the same issue as me.
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #32
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
106
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (3)

So, BMW strikes back??
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #33
Svenomir
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 F83 Cabrio
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Hamburg / Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post

Conclusion from the engineer: From poking around at all the data in my car and all the tickets that were open on their end, my car came with the LATEST DME software from the factory that ProTuningFreaks has yet to crack. Therefor, my car is non-tunable until they get their top engineer/programmer back from vacation to get this resolved.

So the bad news is that I still have no tune. The good news is that the engineer said they are confident that the top engineer/programmer will solve this within a few weeks as they NEED to in order to obviously keep selling the BM3 tune to the public.
Hi DMW2315, thanks for the Update on this Problem. That was also my first Thought, when you wrote, that you have a "new" Car, and the BM3 Flash will not work at all!
BMW did update the DME-Software/Bootloader Version, so they locked the Way that BM3 uses to "unlock" the DME prior Flash-Prozess.
I`m confident PTF will find a Way to "unlock" the actual DME in new BMW Models, hope it will not take to long!

BUT, could it be possible, that when you take your Car in for Service, that BMW updated your DME-Software in the Background to the latest Version, and lock BM3 Users out for reflashing your Tune when back Home? -I`m sure that BMW will not be helpful to degrade the DME Software downwards in that Case, if possible at all...

So, hope that someone from PTF will chime in, Dzenan, Halim - could you bring some Insight about Dealer DME Software-Update to lock out BM3 Users?!

Thx Sven
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #34
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
106
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Denver Area

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenomir View Post
Hi DMW2315, thanks for the Update on this Problem. That was also my first Thought, when you wrote, that you have a "new" Car, and the BM3 Flash will not work at all!
BMW did update the DME-Software/Bootloader Version, so they locked the Way that BM3 uses to "unlock" the DME prior Flash-Prozess.
I`m confident PTF will find a Way to "unlock" the actual DME in new BMW Models, hope it will not take to long!

BUT, could it be possible, that when you take your Car in for Service, that BMW updated your DME-Software in the Background to the latest Version, and lock BM3 Users out for reflashing your Tune when back Home? -I`m sure that BMW will not be helpful to degrade the DME Software downwards in that Case, if possible at all...

So, hope that someone from PTF will chime in, Dzenan, Halim - could you bring some Insight about Dealer DME Software-Update to lock out BM3 Users?!

Thx Sven
That's a darn good question....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #35
Gtracer
Rookie
United_States
20
Rep
134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2014 SL65
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Quick update. ProTuningFreaks had one of their engineers from Denmark remote login to our laptop to try and finally get this resolved. No luck. Tune failed and bricked the DME again but fortunately he was able to reset the DME where I could start the car and drive home.

Conclusion from the engineer: From poking around at all the data in my car and all the tickets that were open on their end, my car came with the LATEST DME software from the factory that ProTuningFreaks has yet to crack. Therefor, my car is non-tunable until they get their top engineer/programmer back from vacation to get this resolved.

So the bad news is that I still have no tune. The good news is that the engineer said they are confident that the top engineer/programmer will solve this within a few weeks as they NEED to in order to obviously keep selling the BM3 tune to the public.

Again - Serge, Viktor and Halim at ProTuningFreaks have been great with the communication and very apologetic and I appreciate that. I have faith they'll get this sorted for me...
What year is your car? Great to see the customer service on the BM3 side! You'll get it sorted I'm sure!
__________________
2018 F80 ZCP DCT ALPINE WHITE-BM3
2014 SL65 Renntech R1
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #36
deceptiv.M3
Lieutenant
deceptiv.M3's Avatar
105
Rep
509
Posts

Drives: 18 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (3)

what year/month is your car? got a 18 zcp hoping i dont have same issue.
__________________
18' F80 M3 ZCP - Comp package, Executive package, Driver Assistance Package, CF mirrors, CF spoiler, Performance Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #37
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Quick update. ProTuningFreaks had one of their engineers from Denmark remote login to our laptop to try and finally get this resolved. No luck. Tune failed and bricked the DME again but fortunately he was able to reset the DME where I could start the car and drive home.

Conclusion from the engineer: From poking around at all the data in my car and all the tickets that were open on their end, my car came with the LATEST DME software from the factory that ProTuningFreaks has yet to crack. Therefor, my car is non-tunable until they get their top engineer/programmer back from vacation to get this resolved.

So the bad news is that I still have no tune. The good news is that the engineer said they are confident that the top engineer/programmer will solve this within a few weeks as they NEED to in order to obviously keep selling the BM3 tune to the public.

Again - Serge, Viktor and Halim at ProTuningFreaks have been great with the communication and very apologetic and I appreciate that. I have faith they'll get this sorted for me...
What year is your car? Great to see the customer service on the BM3 side! You'll get it sorted I'm sure!
It's a brand new 2019 M4. Build month is February.
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #38
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

So a little update.

PTF said their head engineer/programmer was due to come back from vacation last Thursday. I gave them the weekend before I contacted them for an update. Sent them a message Sunday night and I still have not heard from them as of now.

Getting a little leary now...
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #39
kerkiraios00
Major
kerkiraios00's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
1,182
Posts

Drives: '11 Jerez E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Queens, New York

iTrader: (0)

They will get it sorted out man no worries their service is top notch.. I had an issue also and they resolved it...
__________________
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101


11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #40
DMW2315
******
22
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
They will get it sorted out man no worries their service is top notch.. I had an issue also and they resolved it...
Spoke too soon.

Their reponse:

"Unfortunately work is ongoing on this front. BMW March software update made a change to the portion of code that is making it currently not possible to unlock over OBD. This affects all flash tools out there not just bm3. We don’t have an ETA on when it’ll be resolved as work of this sort does take time. We can issue a full refund for the time being. Let us know how you’d like to proceed. Apologies for any inconvenience as you were the first with the S55 March 2019 update to come our way where root cause of you being unable to flash was identified."
__________________
2016 I12 i8 COUPE
2015 F82 ///M4
2001 E46 ///M3 CV 6MT
2000 E39 540i SPORT 6MT
2012 E92 ///M3 6MT (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #41
Dasd329
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: M4 F82
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: LA / Santa Clarita

iTrader: (0)

I had a bad issue with the transmission tune fail and my car basically became a 80k paper weight lol. I emailed support and after 4 or 5 hours we got it fixed. They are very helpful and fast on the reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #42
cookiesowns
;)
cookiesowns's Avatar
Taiwan
392
Rep
727
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT, 535i N54, X3 N55
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Do a bench flash and downgrade DME. It's the only way right now.
__________________
BM3, MHD, ECUTek Calibrator | 2019 M2 Competition 6MT SO | Suntek Ultra | Gyeon Syncro + CarPro Skin
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x159.50

      03-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #43
Karmic Man
Major
Karmic Man's Avatar
Australia
897
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
Spoke too soon.

Their reponse:

"Unfortunately work is ongoing on this front. BMW March software update made a change to the portion of code that is making it currently not possible to unlock over OBD. This affects all flash tools out there not just bm3. We don’t have an ETA on when it’ll be resolved as work of this sort does take time. We can issue a full refund for the time being. Let us know how you’d like to proceed. Apologies for any inconvenience as you were the first with the S55 March 2019 update to come our way where root cause of you being unable to flash was identified."
So 2019+ M2C have to go piggyback
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #44
FSociety
2020 X3M/X4M Coming Soon
FSociety's Avatar
No_Country
3006
Rep
6,849
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i / F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC NJ CT PA FL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
what year/month is your car? got a 18 zcp hoping i dont have same issue.
Nope, no issues with any year what matters is the most recent 20-9 cars with build (production date) of 1/19 and current have this latest DME software version. I know quite a number of 18 and 19 cars running Bm3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST