Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I've been doing some searching and haven't found much on the topic. I'm wondering if it's less common on the F80.

I had a UUC on my E46 M and liked that it was a bit lower and shorter throws. Also nice snick action. Ran an OEM ssk on my 996. Loved the feel of that too.

Seems like Ronald at Autoslutions is highly regarded. Also UUC.

Any input on the topic? Curious about DIY install too.
      11-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

it's probably less common since the F80 is newer than the E46 where that platform is older and more modified at this point.

The improvement you can expect is similar to the other platforms you've had and so is the install.

The OEM shifter on bimmers aren't as positive or as good as say your 911 or S2000 etc. If you want it to be more sporty then for sure any of the aftermarket kits are cool. You want to go all the way then CAE, Numeric etc are awesome.
      11-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #3
jwagman1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I've been doing some searching and haven't found much on the topic. I'm wondering if it's less common on the F80.

I had a UUC on my E46 M and liked that it was a bit lower and shorter throws. Also nice snick action. Ran an OEM ssk on my 996. Loved the feel of that too.

I'm installing a uuc evo3 in Friday. ill report back!
Appreciate 1
Adcampo882.00
      11-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
ProfM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 & '05 M3 (to be sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagman1 View Post
Quote:

I have an Autosolutions SSK on my F80 and had one in my E46 M3. It's great in both cars. I can't recommend Autosolutions enough. Ron who runs it is great to work with.

http://www.autosolutions.info
Appreciate 1
Adcampo882.00
      11-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
jwagman1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Installed today. Did pretty much the whole install from the top other that the linkage and clip. Def need to cut down the length of the Allen wrench on both ends to more easily fit in the small area. The rubber boot def gave some trouble removing but be patient. Knob is perfectly vertical too!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Installed today. Did pretty much the whole install from the top other that the linkage and clip. Def need to cut down the length of the Allen wrench on both ends to more easily fit in the small area. The rubber boot def gave some trouble removing but be patient. Knob is perfectly vertical too!
How do you like it so far? How long the dis the diy install take you?
      11-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
jwagman1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do you like it so far? How long the dis the diy install take you?
It's night and day better. Shifts are precise and firm. I love it! Took about 2.5 hrs most time spent screwing in the collar screws from the top side. Make sure to cut down the Allen or you'll be there all day fumbling with it.
Appreciate 1
Adcampo882.00
      08-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Quote:
It's night and day better. Shifts are precise and firm. I love it! Took about 2.5 hrs most time spent screwing in the collar screws from the top side. Make sure to cut down the Allen or you'll be there all day fumbling with it.
Reviving this thread! I'm about to embark on the same journey and have read several past threads that you have to lower the exhaust, remove the heat shields and a bunch of other stuff as well. If I'm understanding this correctly you were able to install the SSK from the top without doing all that?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

^ thats my main holdup. there is quite a bit of work involved with some of them. the UUC shifter requires you to drop the transmission. i'd only take it to a reputable shop that has done a few already.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
shonuff1
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamongkad View Post
Reviving this thread! I'm about to embark on the same journey and have read several past threads that you have to lower the exhaust, remove the heat shields and a bunch of other stuff as well. If I'm understanding this correctly you were able to install the SSK from the top without doing all that?
That's not possible. No matter which SSK you go with you need to unclip the shift lever from the linkage and that can only happen from below. In order to access that area the exhaust needs to drop, the tranny needs to drop and heat shield removed. I just installed an Autosolutions SSK in my F82 a couple months ago so it's fairly fresh in my mind.

It's not that big of a deal, don't let that hold you back from installing a SSK.
Appreciate 1
Jamongkad239.00
      08-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Another vote for the AS SSK, it is the real deal

You will have to get under the car to install it, there's no way around it. Maybe if you have the little hand from Scary Movie 4 (?) you can do it all from the top
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff1 View Post
Quote:
That's not possible. No matter which SSK you go with you need to unclip the shift lever from the linkage and that can only happen from below. In order to access that area the exhaust needs to drop, the tranny needs to drop and heat shield removed. I just installed an Autosolutions SSK in my F82 a couple months ago so it's fairly fresh in my mind.

It's not that big of a deal, don't let that hold you back from installing a SSK.
Seem kinda intimidating tbh. Do you have access to a lift?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
shonuff1
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I did the job on jack stands. I wish I had a lift!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #14
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I did the job on jack stands. I wish I had a lift!
I got jack stands too! Did you use any tutorials online? Most of what I saw were E92 tutorials.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:12 AM   #15
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the info. When you say the transmission has to drop, do you mean pulling the trans from the engine, or do you mean disconnecting the driveshaft and disconnecting the rear of the transmission and dropping it with a jack?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #16
shonuff1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Thanks for the info. When you say the transmission has to drop, do you mean pulling the trans from the engine, or do you mean disconnecting the driveshaft and disconnecting the rear of the transmission and dropping it with a jack?
Unbolt the transmission support brace only. It will drop the tranny/driveshaft down a couple of inches to give you clearance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #17
shonuff1
Rep

Quote:
I got jack stands too! Did you use any tutorials online? Most of what I saw were E92 tutorials.
I did a little summary post of tips and tricks specific to the F8X platform for SSK installation here:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1822447

I also linked which tutorials I used on similar platforms.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I also got Ronald@Autosolutions as a recommendation for the SSK. Speaking to him last week, he indicated that there would be a 60 day pause on manufacturing due to his company moving shops. The one thing that I didn't realize was the Autosolutions SSK is a fully custom product. Ronald has an intake form where he asks you about your use case. He can fully custom all the overall height and ratio reduction.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #19
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane56 View Post
I also got Ronald@Autosolutions as a recommendation for the SSK. Speaking to him last week, he indicated that there would be a 60 day pause on manufacturing due to his company moving shops. The one thing that I didn't realize was the Autosolutions SSK is a fully custom product. Ronald has an intake form where he asks you about your use case. He can fully custom all the overall height and ratio reduction.
I am also in contact with him since last week. Didn't know there was going to be a pause but it's understandable.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #20
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I had a custom job done by Ronald at Autosolutions built for my F80. Went over what my use case was and what my options were. Before that I had him do one for my E46 M3 as well. His shifters are awesome!
Appreciate 1
Jamongkad239.00
      08-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #21
v8rwdftw
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw m3

Ronald is good guy
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Auto Solutions SSK is worth the time and money. Really happy with the product.
Appreciate 0