proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

V2 steering wheel / show off what you got!

So I just ordered a BMW V2 wheel and I am pretty stoked, was wondering how well they hold up? Ive seen a couple used ones and it looks like the blue strip wears easily? how well does the Alcantara hold up at the 9 & 3 position wear your thumb is.

Also...if you have or had one did you find the design hard to get used to?

If you don't have one lets see what you got instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

9 and 3 show wear in the sense that the alcantara becomes compacted over time. To reduce this, I use a tooth brush every few months to feather it up a bit. If you wait too long it'll get too compacted and possible won't return to its original state.

The black alcantara also becomes gray from touching it all the time so it's good to use a cleaner to make it darker again (prob just skin residue)

Lastly I avoid touching the blue stripe at all. And when you clean the wheel leave it alone. The dye seems to rub off so water and cleaners will prob accelerate the wear there.
Appreciate 1
65fastback1137.00
      04-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Don't eat wings in your car while driving And wash with a microfiber rag and dish soap plus water. That's really the best way to clean/preserve the alcantara.
Appreciate 1
swagon13505.00
      04-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Bueno View Post
Don't eat wings in your car while driving And wash with a microfiber rag and dish soap plus water. That's really the best way to clean/preserve the alcantara.
good advice but is it ok to eat bueno tacos in my car?
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I've got the M Performance V1 and E8x Performance wheels. Have had the former for two years and the latter for about seven now.

Both bought used and restored to almost brand-new condition just by using warm water, a bit of soap, damp and dry MF towels. Same process used for maintenance cleaning - the Alcantara company explicitly recommends just water and towels. Any cleaners are unnecessary marketing crap and they're all just generic fabric cleaners. Even the BMW one that I've got is a re-branded Sonax fabric foam.

The 12 o'clock marker wears out very easily. Colourlock sells leather dye kits if need be.

Doesn't take much to keep the fabric fluffy - wash your hands and if you get sweaty palms, invest in some douche gloves like me. I've got the BMW M gloves for street and Sparcos for track. This means I clean the steering wheel in the M3 only twice a year. The E92 is daily driven without gloves and it's still very much alright after 45k miles. Takes max half an hour to clean.
      04-09-2021, 11:34 PM   #6
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
So I just ordered a BMW V2 wheel and I am pretty stoked, was wondering how well they hold up? Ive seen a couple used ones and it looks like the blue strip wears easily? how well does the Alcantara hold up at the 9 & 3 position wear your thumb is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

I have the V2 and in my opinion, it's all about how well you take care of it. The Alcantara is likely the 1st part to show signs of wear but w/the right products & care mine has aged well. I use the Colourlock brush + tooth brush for tight sections.

- Sonax is my preferred cleaner

https://www.sonaxusa.com/upholstery-...a-cleaner.html

- Dr. Beasley's is the preferred "protection". I apply to all Alcantara prior to or immediately after installation.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/microsuede-protection.html

Leather - Colourlock (Shield if it is brand new & doesn't need to be cleaned)

Hope you find this helpful.
Appreciate 1
65fastback1137.00