R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #45
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
what are the symptoms of a crack rear diff? I noticed a slight vibration when going fast (~70-80mph), but I recently change to a new (used) set of rims and not sure if it's the wheels that's out of balance

I have at 29K miles, will have a service visit soon. Does dealer typically check these kind of stuff?
You will typically hear a loud thump in the rear when letting off the gas. It is more noticeable when in sport plus mode due to the throttle sensitivity. I am getting my diff (front and rear) bushings replaced next week with the Powerflex black series bushings.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #46
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

How much is labor? Heard it cost alot.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #47
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3classic View Post
It was like 200 for me
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #48
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Quote:
It was like 200 for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Quote:
It was like 200 for me
Doubt it was 200 for rear diff bushing. You have to remove the diff to get the bushing out.

I am not sure as I am getting the whole diff serviced (new fluid, bushings, and input/output seals) while the diff is out. Probably somewhere near 6-8 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #49
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf80 View Post
Doubt it was 200 for rear diff bushing. You have to remove the diff to get the bushing out.

I am not sure as I am getting the whole diff serviced (new fluid, bushings, and input/output seals) while the diff is out. Probably somewhere near 6-8 hours of labor.
it was 200 for me. idk. I have a good guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #50
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Wanted to share... looks like ECS came out with diff bushings for the F8X platform. There is a general guide on how to get these replaced (linked below).

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...stallation.pdf
Appreciate 1
F82///M77.00
      02-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #51
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

How does the turner dual mount sit? I am trying to picture the rear diff mount, and is it a upgrade over the factory mount with poly bushings.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #52
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
How does the turner dual mount sit? I am trying to picture the rear diff mount, and is it a upgrade over the factory mount with poly bushings.
Check out ECS website and look at the install instructions. They have a picture of the Turner diff plate installed. Now that I see this I wish I had went this route instead. I had my bushings replaced recently with Powerflex bushings.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #53
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Check out ECS website and look at the install instructions. They have a picture of the Turner diff plate installed. Now that I see this I wish I had went this route instead. I had my bushings replaced recently with Powerflex bushings.
I see now, thanks! Ill probably be going with the ECS bushings and dual mount from Turner.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #54
M3Jae
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
what are the symptoms of a crack rear diff? I noticed a slight vibration when going fast (~70-80mph), but I recently change to a new (used) set of rims and not sure if it's the wheels that's out of balance

I have at 29K miles, will have a service visit soon. Does dealer typically check these kind of stuff?
I noticed heavy vibrations while traveling at higher speeds. I thought it was wheel balancing issue, got my wheels balanced TWICE but still had the same issue.

Yesterday I brought my car in for an Oil change, Rear diff fluid flush, and Brake fluid flush and the technician sent me photos of the rear diff bushing cracked. Hence why I felt the vibrations at higher speeds. The faster I went, the harder it was shaking..

I am waiting for a quote from a BMW dealer as to how much it will cost me to replace.. That shop quoted me $1200 to replace the bushings and an alignment.

2015 F80 with 59.9k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #55
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Any NVH with the power flex?
      04-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #56
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not for me but I am not sensitive to that kind of stuff. If anything I would say I feel more of what the rear end of the car is doing now. I autocross and track my f80. My bushing was completely torn so this was an improvement for me. There is more DCT gearbox noise (gear changing sounds) however when slowing down quickly and the car shifts from 2nd to 1st.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #57
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not for me but I am not sensitive to that kind of stuff. If anything I would say I feel more of what the rear end of the car is doing now. I autocross and track my f80. My bushing was completely torn so this was an improvement for me. There is more DCT gearbox noise (gear changing sounds) however when slowing down quickly and the car shifts from 2nd to 1st.
What power flex bushings did you go with? Believe they have street or race?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #58
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
What power flex bushings did you go with? Believe they have street or race?
Go With the Black series and forget about the stupid mushy cushy bushing getting busted. ~!!
Sold tightness with slight increase in diff noise which I have to say I like it and when I crank up the audio, you cant here it anyway.
Way better back end feel compare to stock Rubber bushings. I don't mind a slight increase in noise for a better handling and virtually maintenance free bushings.
I replaced both the front and rear bushings.
      04-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #59
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOR View Post
Go With the Black series and forget about the stupid mushy cushy bushing getting busted. ~!!
Sold tightness with slight increase in diff noise which I have to say I like it and when I crank up the audio, you cant here it anyway.
Way better back end feel compare to stock Rubber bushings. I don't mind a slight increase in noise for a better handling and virtually maintenance free bushings.
There’s no front diff, so what bushings, the trans mounts?
      04-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #60
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There's no front diff, so what bushings, the trans mounts?
No. The rear differential is equipped with a set of front and rear bushing(s).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:39 AM   #61
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Quote:
Thank you ~ for answering.
Attached Images

DLag30103.50
F82///M77.00
      04-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #62
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you ~ for answering.
Thanks! I think I'm also going to go with the Turner Motorsport dual mount plate for the rear bushings as well
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 12:40 AM   #63
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Any feedback on the turner full bracket kit with ECS 95A bushings? The alternative is made by KMP, but it’s double the cost and appear to use a mix of poly and solid aluminum bushings, which they claim is suitable for street duty.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #64
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Any feedback on the turner full bracket kit with ECS 95A bushings? The alternative is made by KMP, but it’s double the cost and appear to use a mix of poly and solid aluminum bushings, which they claim is suitable for street duty.
The performance is great, but after using the ex’s kit for a few months, the solid center bushings definitely creat diff whine. An alternative would be using the turner dual plate with power flex bushings.
      06-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #65
MakeMuricaGreater
Second Account Already
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82M4 E92M3 E71X6M 992TurboS

I had the same bushing with a hefty tear in it. Rather than just go through the hassle of dropping, punching out the old, and replacing with new -- it was cheaper to just drop, swap in new carrier with additional mounting points, and ditch the old assembly + bushings altogether.

Last edited by MakeMuricaGreater; 06-26-2021 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #66
iDriftYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP 6 Speed

Replaced mine with the Turner plate and poly/solid bushings, did it before they cracked. It is a proper PITA to replace, you have to drop the whole subframe, took us about 5 hours
Appreciate 0