Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Cary Jordan no longer offering Stage 2 tunes?

So just an FYI for everyone. One of my buddies brought this to my attention after buying a custom tune from Cary Jordan and had his order canceled with no refund.

It seems like he no longer offers custom tunes to folks who have catless dp's or "emissions altering" equipment. Stage 1 with OEM downpipes is as far as he will go now from the looks of it and the explanation on his site.
Attached Images

2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Yikes. I know lots of people who have Jordan tunes...all full E85 all full cat-less and all very happy with it. I suppose with popularity comes unwanted PR, including that from those in compliance. Tough break for this brand and those caught in the political bs.
      08-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I wish the ridiculous overreach of the epa and many other three letter assholes would cease to exist with permanence. My tax dollars used against my desires.
Appreciate 5
MJ6963.50
HyeM3464.50
irunalot1518.00
Rokoz293.00
      08-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff80m3 View Post
So just an FYI for everyone. One of my buddies brought this to my attention after buying a custom tune from Cary Jordan and had his order canceled with no refund.

It seems like he no longer offers custom tunes to folks who have catless dp's or "emissions altering" equipment. Stage 1 with OEM downpipes is as far as he will go now from the looks of it and the explanation on his site.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

meh... not a biggie. Cary has to deal with the law like we all do.
Put your cats on, get your Stage 2, then de-cat and flip the switch inside BM3.
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3946.50
      08-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #6
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

But what if the switch goes away? Look what happened to SCT, Bully dog and others. He probably got an EPA letter as it all extends from link below..
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/deri...act-settlement
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #7
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
All I know is...MHD 3.4.0 is great...especially with my MHD ECA unit and Flex tune by another tuner which I wont mention for obvious reasons. 700whp F82 daily driver is kind of amazing, not gonna lie.

...PS-mind ya business when you see me rolling around with 18s on the back and 20s in the front. I have issues, traction issues.
      08-13-2021, 12:33 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

It looks like the alternative here is to go with AA downpipes with gesi v2 cats (latest version released last month).

Based on my research, those cats can handle up to 550ish hp PER downpipe and remain 49 state EPA compliant without any loss in horsepower.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 5
TopJimmy5449.50
irunalot1518.00
TideMD291.50
MR RIZK757.50
mord49.00
      08-13-2021, 02:12 AM   #9
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M235i, M3

Quote:

How did he find out about the downpipes? Did your friend tell him when asked about his mods, or did Cary assume he was catless when seeing the CEL?
Then Cancelling the order as a result.

After reading over The info on the website, I’m slightly confused by the wording.

Does the LLC mean that if you sign their waiver and terms doc, they assume you are catted and will proceed with the tune so long as you don’t make them think otherwise via communication/correspondence? Or are they denying/canceling services to anybody with a CEL? I.E. Suspected emissions device tampering.

I wonder if it’s the former, because otherwise I feel the language regarding not altering readiness or removing the related CEL would then be redundant, at least from my interpretation of the overall context. For Example: If there is a CEL while tuning, and the LLC asks if you have catless, to which you respond No. Then I can see how that language makes sense, as they can then inform the customer that they will continue based on that response and fixing the CEL is your responsibility since they will not remove the CEL or alter any related readiness flags. In this instance I see how that language can still be included as supplemental information in the case of the former.

However, if it’s the latter... then the LLC should at least clarify by specifically pointing that out since I believe their strict NO REFUND policy is a bit harsh - might I say unfair - in this case and could catch some customers off guard with little to no recourse after the fact. I can’t imagine Cary allowing a customer to make the purchase then seeing the CEL for the initial revision, only to tell them “you got a CEL, whoops emissions flag, Do NOT pass GO, thanks for the $$$, don’t let the door hit you on the way out”, or can I? Again, If this is indeed the case then the language surrounding CEL and Emissions readiness would be greatly helpful, although this time modified somewhat to reflect this.

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts and insight on this.

Last edited by SnoozieToofs; 08-13-2021 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 02:23 AM   #10
steven.dbc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozieToofs View Post
Quote:

How did he find out about the downpipes? Did your friend tell him when asked about his mods, or did Cary assume he was catless when seeing the CEL?

After reading over The info on the website, I'm slightly confused by the wording.

Does the LLC mean that if you sign their waiver and terms doc, they assume you are catted and will proceed with the tune so long as you don't make them think otherwise via communication/correspondence? Or are they denying/canceling services to anybody with a CEL? I.E. Suspected emissions device tampering.

I wonder if it's the former, because otherwise I feel the language regarding not altering readiness or removing the related CEL would then be redundant, at least from my interpretation of the overall context. For Example: If there is a CEL while tuning, and the LLC asks if you have catless, to which you respond No. Then I can see how that language makes sense, as they can then inform the customer that they will continue based on that response and fixing the CEL is your responsibility since they will not remove the CEL or alter any related readiness flags. In this case I see how that language can still be included as supplemental information in the case of the former.

However, if it's the latter... then the LLC should at least clarify by pointing that out since I believe their strict NO REFUND policy is a bit unfair in this instance and could catch some customers off guard with no recourse after the fact. I can't imagine Cary allowing a customer to make the purchase then seeing the CEL for the initial revision, only to tell them "you got a CEL, whoops emissions flag, Do NOT pass GO, thanks for the $$$, don't let the door hit you on the way out", or can I?

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts and insight on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozieToofs View Post
Quote:

After reading over The info on the website, I'm slightly confused by the wording.

Does the LLC mean that if you sign their waiver and terms doc, they assume you are catted and will proceed with the tune so long as you don't make them think otherwise via communication/correspondence? Or are they denying/canceling services to anybody with a CEL? I.E. Suspected emissions device tampering.

I wonder if it's the former, because otherwise I feel the language regarding not altering readiness or removing the related CEL would then be redundant, at least from my interpretation of the overall context. For Example: If there is a CEL while tuning, and the LLC asks if you have catless, to which you respond No. Then I can see how that language makes sense, as they can then inform the customer that they will continue based on that response and fixing the CEL is your responsibility since they will not remove the CEL or alter any related readiness flags. In this case I see how that language can still be included as supplemental information in the case of the former.

However, if it's the latter... then the LLC should at least clarify by pointing that out since I believe their strict NO REFUND policy is a bit unfair in this instance and could catch some customers off guard with no recourse after the fact. I can't imagine Cary allowing a customer to make the purchase then seeing the CEL for the initial revision, only to tell them "you got a CEL, whoops emissions flag, Do NOT pass GO, thanks for the $$$, don't let the door hit you on the way out", or can I?

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts and insight on this.
I dm'd him an he basically told me I have to be catted or else he can't tune my car so since i have catless downpipes i can't be tuned by him but this is only for california customers it sucks but i've heard alot of great things about f80paul so im gonna just go with him
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 02:40 AM   #11
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven.dbc View Post
I dm'd him an he basically told me I have to be catted or else he can't tune my car so since i have catless downpipes i can't be tuned by him but this is only for california customers it sucks but i've heard alot of great things about f80paul so im gonna just go with him
Only California customers? Interesting...is that what he said? Is the LLC also based in California, hence the restrictions?

I wonder where the OP’s buddy is located.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I spoke to Cary on the phone last week, he told me that he will not be messing with catless downpipe for ALL US Customers, not just California.

It's a matter of time before all tuners do the same or risk losing their business.

Same thing is happening with vendors, you'll notice all the big vendors stopped offering catless downpipes as well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #13
rockstar b
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

We can thank the diesel bros for this.
Appreciate 7
      08-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #14
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Most tuners have a form that they ask you to fill out with all mods. Downpipes are obviously a critical component the problem is the association with violating blah blah blah. I don't know why they didn't just create a waiver forcing everyone to sign stating it's for off road use only from the get go which would've probably mitigated all of this nonsense...but some of us are unfortunately here in the greediest *cough* greatest country in the world.
      08-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv_f82 View Post
Most tuners have a form that they ask you to fill out with all mods. Downpipes are obviously a critical component the problem is the association with violating blah blah blah. I don't know why they didn't just create a waiver forcing everyone to sign stating it's for off road use only from the get go which would've probably mitigated all of this nonsense...but some of us are unfortunately here in the greediest *cough* greatest country in the world.
waiver signs are no longer enough. the EPA is making that clear every day.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #16
Alanb97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I wonder if Cary received a fine for tuning catless vehicles
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #17
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
How dare this guy convert hundreds of satisfies customers into using nontoxic and biodegradable ethanol which can even help reduce pollution, how dare he.
      08-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #18
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
It looks like the alternative here is to go with AA downpipes with gesi v2 cats (latest version released last month).

Based on my research, those cats can handle up to 550ish hp PER downpipe and remain 49 state EPA compliant without any loss in horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #19
SnoozieToofs
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I spoke to Cary on the phone last week, he told me that he will not be messing with catless downpipe for ALL US Customers, not just California.

It's a matter of time before all tuners do the same or risk losing their business.

Same thing is happening with vendors, you'll notice all the big vendors stopped offering catless downpipes as well

Did he specify how he determines that a customer is catless?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #20
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

This is the new reality. Tunes of any kind will soon be illegal
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #21
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
In California, it's been terrible. They auto fail you if you have modified software, even if you flashed it back to stock.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...-smog-testing/
      08-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanb97 View Post
I wonder if Cary received a fine for tuning catless vehicles
He did not receive any fines or warnings

these kinds of fines are so large that if you get one, its too late to make any changes to your business

Appreciate 2
heitzke1152.50
davyent10.50