Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
SGBMWM3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

CS Lip Installation Question

I am installing a OEM CS lip in my M4. I removed the bumper and installed all three brackets. I reinstalled the bumper and test fit the lip By attaching it to the brackets. There is a fairly large gap between the bumper and the lip. I am assuming once I put some double sided tape and install the self tapping screws it will pull the bumper down but am wondering if those who installed a CS lip saw the same thing? Also, did you guys re-install the piece shown in the last picture. Not sure what it’s function is, I was thinking a support for the lower bumper which would be necessary with the lip installed.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bholler5341.00
      06-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Are the brackets really required? I was just gonna do tape and screws
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
Are the brackets really required? I was just gonna do tape and screws
Definitely get the brackets in. My first CF lip came off on the autobahn because of only a few screws and tape.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 01:50 AM   #4
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

i don’t recall mine having a gap between the middle section of the lip and bumper.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

This is why I only buy replicas 😆
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x778.50
      06-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
SGBMWM3
Rep

Update: Took the bumper back off and looked at the right and left bracket, there is a good amount of play (up and down) when mounting them. I removed the rivets, and pushed the brackets all the way up and gained about an 1/8 inch of clearance. Installed new rivets and put the bumper back on and lip fits perfect now - no more gap.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGBMWM3 View Post
Update: Took the bumper back off and looked at the right and left bracket, there is a good amount of play (up and down) when mounting them. I removed the rivets, and pushed the brackets all the way up and gained about an 1/8 inch of clearance. Installed new rivets and put the bumper back on and lip fits perfect now - no more gap.
Yeah, I took the bumper on and off a couple of times to align the brackets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
mnkhb01
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 Interlagos Blue, CP

Quote:
I am installing a OEM CS lip in my M4. I removed the bumper and installed all three brackets. I reinstalled the bumper and test fit the lip By attaching it to the brackets. There is a fairly large gap between the bumper and the lip. I am assuming once I put some double sided tape and install the self tapping screws it will pull the bumper down but am wondering if those who installed a CS lip saw the same thing? Also, did you guys re-install the piece shown in the last picture. Not sure what it’s function is, I was thinking a support for the lower bumper which would be necessary with the lip installed.

Thanks for the help!
Did you modify the triangle shaped deflector lips? The M4-CS calls for different ones than the non-CS PNs 51717993313 & 4.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkhb01 View Post
Did you modify the triangle shaped deflector lips? The M4-CS calls for different ones than the non-CS PNs 51717993313 & 4.
I bought the CS one's and they were the stock one's that appeared hand trimmed with a knife. Didn't really need the CS one's and could have trimmed them to fit myself.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #10
forgemarco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
I bought the CS one's and they were the stock one's that appeared hand trimmed with a knife. Didn't really need the CS one's and could have trimmed them to fit myself.
Do you have a picture through the holes, does the air flow straight through now and under the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #11
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgemarco View Post
Do you have a picture through the holes, does the air flow straight through now and under the car?
Yes, the air flows through the holes and under the undertray.
      07-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
forgemarco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgemarco View Post
Yes, the air flows through the holes and under the undertray.
Thank you 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

SGBMWM3 RevNev im going to do this next week and have a few questions

1. do you have to drill the bumper for the center bracket? if yes how did you measure where to drill.
2. do you have to drill the holes for the rivets on the side brackets?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I'm installing a CS replica soon. Is double sided tape necessary? Can I just use self tapping screws. My issue with double sided tape is you only got one shot so it's kind of annoying for a DIY. My car doesn't go over 100 mph, might hit like 110 120 once every few months so I don't see it being a huge issue. I'll be using a ton of screws.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #15
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioMeth View Post

1. do you have to drill the bumper for the center bracket? if yes how did you measure where to drill.
1) Yes, you drill the front bumper element for a rivnut. Should be centered, measure up 3/4" from the bottom of the bumper beam (this was not in the online instructions for some reason).

2) Yes. I test fit mine and got the placement correct prior to drilling.

I'd suggest searching out the BMW instructions online. There is lots of stuff that gets trimmed. It's much more involved than screwing a lip into the bumper.
Appreciate 1
audioMeth222.00
      07-24-2020, 05:50 AM   #16
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Quote:

1) Yes, you drill the front bumper element for a rivnut. Should be centered, measure up 3/4" from the bottom of the bumper beam (this was not in the online instructions for some reason).

2) Yes. I test fit mine and got the placement correct prior to drilling.

I'd suggest searching out the BMW instructions online. There is lots of stuff that gets trimmed. It's much more involved than screwing a lip into the bumper.
these instructions?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...per/1VnZ0dNOIA

i couldn't find anything for the CS just GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #17
SGBMWM3
Rep

I followed the GTS instructions as I never found instructions specific to the CS. I installed the side brackets first, test fit the lip and marked the bumper for the center support. Make sure you push the side brackets as far up as they will go prior to installing the rivets.

I did use double sided tape on mine to ensure it always stays flush with the bumper but I wouldn't say it is necessary. As the brackets support the lip and self tapping screws hold it flush.
Appreciate 1
audioMeth222.00
      07-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
these instructions?

i couldn't find anything for the CS just GTS
Yes, that's them. Gives the details on what needs to be trimmed.

That "A" dimension for my car was 3/4".
      07-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #19
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I followed the GTS instructions as I never found instructions specific to the CS. I installed the side brackets first, test fit the lip and marked the bumper for the center support. Make sure you push the side brackets as far up as they will go prior to installing the rivets.

I did use double sided tape on mine to ensure it always stays flush with the bumper but I wouldn't say it is necessary. As the brackets support the lip and self tapping screws hold it flush.
Yeah, I skipped the tape too.

Whats great is the brackets and hardware sit lower than the lip and tend to hit things first.

Sounds horrible with metal on concrete, but better than carbon getting crushed.
      07-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #20
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

The installation instructions tell you to line up the brackets parallel to the square beam. So use a 4-5mm piece of wood or a plastic trim tool to ensure the bracket is parallel.

Next requirement is to push the bracket as far up as possible, then mark and drill into the reinforcement beam. I used the T45 bolt to hold the bracket still, then drilled straight through.

For the centre bracket, mark a vertical line in the middle of the reinforcement beam. Use the supplied T30 bolts and some washers or large nuts to hold the CS lip to the brackets you just riveted on (just tighten them finger tight). Using the silver T30 screw, attach the centre bracket to the lip such that the numbers point towards you (forward) and use this to determine where to drill for the top hole of the centre bracket where you will push in the rivnut. The instructions refer to a non-existent dimension "A" for this hole. Aim for an 8.5mm hole and see if you can tap the rivnut in with a hammer (don't bash it in). The instructions specify 9mm but allow for some variance in drill bits and steady hands. Do not use power tools to attach the centre bracket or you spin the rivnut and enlarge the hole instead.

Lastly, double sided tape is supposed to be sold with the lip along with the fasteners etc. It is 10mm wide and 1mm thick 3M brand tape, which I can only assume is some sort of VHB so use isopropyl as the cleaning agent prior to install on both surfaces. The roll of tape is quite generous in length and there is no specific areas to apply it. ETK infers it is applied solely to the centre bit but I applied it also to both outer sections. I still had a little leftover, which may be explained by the GTS install instructions which tell you to apply it from end to end.
The instructions will also tell you where to cut on each of the trims and ducts, and the dimension of each cut out. You could just cut out a 1" square in everything too.

Anyway, here's the instructions which you may have to supply your installer as the link has been removed in ISTA:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...per/1VnYgAEsEg

Please, someone download those links into a PDF in case newtis disappears too.

Last edited by juld0zer; 07-25-2020 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
audioMeth222.00
      07-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #21
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I'm installing a CS replica soon. Is double sided tape necessary? Can I just use self tapping screws. My issue with double sided tape is you only got one shot so it's kind of annoying for a DIY. My car doesn't go over 100 mph, might hit like 110 120 once every few months so I don't see it being a huge issue. I'll be using a ton of screws.
IT's not a one shot, only peel off an inch or two on each end and pull the red tape towards you, align everything and use those tiny patches of exposed tape to stick then check your alignment, unstick if necessary. Once you have it where you want it pull on the red tape and secure the lip, then pout screws through, do all of them in every screw location. Mine hasn't come off at 160 in Mexico.

Some random video I found, embed with time stamp doesn't seem to work so go to around 5:24

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 07-29-2020 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #22
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
IT's not a one shot, only peel off an inch or two on each end and pull the red tape towards you, align everything and use those tiny patches of exposed tape to stick then check your alignment, unstick if necessary. Once you have it where you want it pull on the red tape and secure the lip, then pout screws through, do all of them in every screw location. Mine hasn't come off at 160 in Mexico.

Some random video I found, embed with time stamp doesn't seem to work so go to around 5:24

You got an OEM or a replica CS lip ? If so from where

Thanks for the response sounds like a good idea
Appreciate 0