Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

07-29-2020, 12:58 AM   #23
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
You got an OEM or a replica CS lip ? If so from where

Thanks for the response sounds like a good idea
Replica, CF lips are like the rear tires, they don't last
https://ebay.to/3jOV27g

Sorry for the hijack OP, good to see that there's room for adjustment with the brackets, I'd be scratching my head too for a sec as to why an OEM part doesn't fit.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 07-29-2020 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      07-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #24
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

which center support did you use?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #25
SGBMWM3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I believe the bracket in the right with two offsets is the correct one. Once the bumper is off, it'll be clear which one fits. Not sure why they send two with the hardware?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #26
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep

the one with the 2 offsets was the winner, maybe the other is for the gts? when i looked up the part numbers they both said GTS/CS
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #27
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

The one I fitted only came with the left bracket. What is the part number on the right one?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #28
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
The one I fitted only came with the left bracket. What is the part number on the right one?
51118065339 (left)
51118066640 (right)

i installed the one on the right with the two bends. i bought the hardware kit from getbmwparts.com and came with both.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 01:44 PM   #29
PhillipC
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

If anyone needs help with this install, feel free to reach out to me. The OP was a huge help to me during this install, so consider the torch passed. I probably had 8-10 hours into this over a few stints (my car is a garage queen), but if I had to do it again I could knock it out in 4-5 hours. I’m moderately mechanically inclined but also meticulous/a perfectionist so I take my time. If you know your way around you could shave some time off that. But this is easily a half day to full day project with a break or two. I also do not have a lift, and did all of this with the car rolled up on some 2x4s which, while possible, definitely made it more difficult and time consuming. Removing the wheels would also help.

Some comments:
1. The instructions suck. You’ll get more off the forum and YouTube.
2. I went a la carte with the parts list, and saved a few bucks. The parts package includes both center supports and as you can see above, you only need one. That bracket is like $120-130 that you’ll just toss. You’ll also have a few torx bolts leftover. I had 3 extra and used a tox bolt at both ends of the center support. I did not use the silver screw/license plate bracket screw.
3. The self tapping screws are good enough, but honestly bmw should have a better solution. I looked around for something like a screw and clip/clamp but couldn’t find anything. You also will not have enough self tap screws for every hole on the lip so just space them out or get more of them.
4. I liked using an oscillating tool more than a dremel with cutting wheel for trimming, but did use both depending on application. I did NOT remove the radiator cowl behind the bumper and just trimmed it in place - worked fine.
5. Trimming the pork chops was my most hated part of the install. Bmw really should have a template for this. I did a neat enough job (a lot of trial/error), but if I had to do it again I’d just buy the CS pork chops even though they’re just trimmed as well and save the headache. These part numbers are noted above.
6. Watch the outside ends of the pork chops when you trim. You have to cut off the ends of them right next to the last screw hole or they could get pinched between the lip and bumper, which would give you problems with final fitment.
7. I found you can’t lose with with fitment if you just push the side brackets all the way up immediately as recommended above. The instructions actually indicate to do this. I drilled right through the bracket for the Rivet holes, so alignment was perfect. To make sure I was good side to side I mocked up the lip on the side brackets, checked center/level and drilled for the rivets.
8. Don’t worry about measuring for the center support rivnut. Mock up the lip as above, trim the cowl, and install the center bracket. Just mark the bumper beam where it naturally falls, and drill. My measurement happened to be 7/8” from the bottom of beam, not 3/4” as mentioned above.
9. I did NOT use tape, and don’t think you need it if you use the brackets and the self tap screws. The lip is bulletproof and snugs right up to the bumper. Fitment on the OEM BMW lip is like 97/100.
10. Once the brackets are mounted, Get everything close with the lip itself then adjust at the end. The OP saved me a lot of aggravation in this regard. There is some adjustability between the lip mounting on the brackets which is more than enough to get it perfect on the bumper. I just snugged everything up on the lip and body panels so I could shift things into place. I did test fit the bumper once or twice to make sure I was close. This is also a good idea.

These are my freshest thoughts on this for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
NickyC17484.50
swagon13522.50
      08-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #30
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Looks great, can't go wrong with the CS lip!
Appreciate 1