Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-30-2023, 01:29 AM   #23
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORAGRETS View Post
Would these fit on a f80?
Yes

Quote:
These are shockingly inexpensive
Yes, almost all BMW Motorsport parts are not excessively expensive

Quote:
What are the part numbers for the front linkage?
BMW Motorsport fronts are too short, I make them a little longer
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:55 AM   #24
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I looked into BMW motorsport arms at one point, and from discussions with a BMW motorsport engineer that's an acquaintance, he discouraged me from using them saying their spherical bearings wouldn't last very long.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 03:57 PM   #25
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I looked into BMW motorsport arms at one point, and from discussions with a BMW motorsport engineer that's an acquaintance, he discouraged me from using them saying their spherical bearings wouldn't last very long.
I'm sorry but you must have spoken to some charlatan... What that "engineer" told you is truly outrageous.

For some reason they are the most expensive on the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 04:13 PM   #26
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
This is all timely discussion as I was just researching rod ends and spherical bearings trying to determine what makes a quality piece. Did your acquaintance put in context why they wouldn't last long? I would expect on a dedicated track car that they might not. On a daily driver maybe there is concern about dirt and debris. However, if you aren't frequently driving in the wet, then I'd reason that a motorsport part that isn't subjected to motorsport abuse might last reasonably well on a road car.

In the US QA1 makes spherical bearings and rod ends. They'll even make custom units. I wonder how their offerings compare?

Do we know who makes the BMW motorsport part. Track/S has them in hand and uses them. I feel he can speak to how they perform in practice and not theory.

As a person not well versed in either with this parts I'm curious as to what makes manufacturer A better than B?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 04:32 PM   #27
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
This is all timely discussion as I was just researching rod ends and spherical bearings trying to determine what makes a quality piece. Did your acquaintance put in context why they wouldn't last long? I would expect on a dedicated track car that they might not. On a daily driver maybe there is concern about dirt and debris. However, if you aren't frequently driving in the wet, then I'd reason that a motorsport part that isn't subjected to motorsport abuse might last reasonably well on a road car.

In the US QA1 makes spherical bearings and rod ends. They'll even make custom units. I wonder how their offerings compare?

Do we know who makes the BMW motorsport part. Track/S has them in hand and uses them. I feel he can speak to how they perform in practice and not theory.

As a person not well versed in either with this parts I'm curious as to what makes manufacturer A better than B?
Not only do I have them mounted, about 10 more F8Xs...

Here you have the brand's that BMW Motorsport uses:

And here spl garbage:

They had to change the monoball because it had play (installed with less time than mine), after changing it it lasted 2 laps on the track, it almost destroyed the car...

Last edited by Track/S; 01-01-2024 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:06 PM   #28
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
So update to this...

A friend's shop called me on Friday and said, "Hey FaRKle! by chance do you have any extra SPL bolts or studs?"

"I actually do have the stud retrofit kit for my SPL LCA, but haven't installed it yet, why?"

*receives picture of new SPL stud sheared in half*

"We installed this SPL stud, torqued to 180ft-lbs as the instructions say, and while we were working on the other side (before the car was put on the ground) heard a *pop* noise and noticed the stud had broken!"

After calling SPL about it (who overnighted them a new set of studs, but they had a track day the following morning), SPL instructed them to only torque to 160ft-lbs now...
Any update on this? I installed their tie-rod ends which now look to use the same stud design as the FLCA. I've torqued them to 160 ft/lbs - wondering if anything official came out related to the 180 ft/lbs.
      01-08-2024, 04:06 PM   #29
chrisjguzman
Corner Hunter
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 ,04 Vw turbo R32,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Any update on this? I installed their tie-rod ends which now look to use the same stud design as the FLCA. I've torqued them to 160 ft/lbs - wondering if anything official came out related to the 180 ft/lbs.
I called them about this and they said torque to 180 ft/lbs but I still torqued both my new FLCA & tie rods studs to 160 ft/lbs
2001 YZF R1
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      01-08-2024, 04:14 PM   #30
RbBugBitMe
PdV Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Garage List
What's the OD of their spherical? Or the part number if someone has it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 04:26 PM   #31
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbBugBitMe View Post
What's the OD of their spherical? Or the part number if someone has it.
Don't know the OD off hand but it's this bearing: https://www.splparts.com/products/cm10t.html