BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-24-2023, 08:39 PM   #1
morefast
Rep
Drives: M4

AA single midpipe hp/tq loss

Hi all,

I bought a 2015 F82 6MT base last summer. 13k miles, bone stock. I wanted an early model year for the vicious factory tune in the early years. And damn. That peaky torque came on at 1800 like a brick to the face.
Anyway, I recently installed an AA single mid non res with Dinan rear. Stock down pipes, stock tune. I ordered new everything. Crush gaskets, metal gasket, new flange, bolts, hangers. All hardware from front to back. Installed all of that and the exhaust sounds great. My issue now is the power band. I feel like I have 85-90% power. The massive torque spike is gone. Now it’s a much more linear power build with loss of low end but no gain anywhere else. It doesn’t feel “slower” but that unpredictable violence is gone. Additionally, there are far more noticeable “flat spots” when laying on the throttle when out of boost. It was my impression that a simple midpipe change wouldn’t have any real effect on performance other than a negligible increase in low end, based on almost every thread on here about midpipes. But I’m getting the opposite. I’ve only found a few posts with people stating the same problem on this forum. Not sure what to do but looking at going back to a dual midpipe setup, though I’d like to keep the Dinan. Any suggestions for solution or new pipe? Anyone have the same issues that figured out how to solve this? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 09:58 PM   #2
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

how much you want for the midpipe lol. warranty is up maybe a tune will help.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

What you're experiencing could likely be more of a perception, as all dyno tests consistently indicate a power increase with the single midpipe upgrade rather than a decrease.
I've utilized this midpipe and encountered no noticeable power loss.

However, if you are seriously considering a change, I'd gladly assist you with other product offerings! I would recommend the Active Autowerke Equal Length Midpipe in such a case. It's a solid alternative that might suit your preferences better.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:06 PM   #4
morefast
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. Tune might be what I need. I bought the mid from xph so I might have to go back and take a look at what else you guys have. Also could totally be my perception as noted. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 12:01 AM   #5
morefast
Rep

If anyone ever comes across this thread with a similar issue, I reset the fuel adaptations and that fixed it.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalburrito View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Tune might be what I need. I bought the mid from xph so I might have to go back and take a look at what else you guys have. Also could totally be my perception as noted. Appreciate it.
Quote:
If anyone ever comes across this thread with a similar issue, I reset the fuel adaptations and that fixed it.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:32 AM   #7
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
What you're experiencing could likely be more of a perception, as all dyno tests consistently indicate a power increase with the single midpipe upgrade rather than a decrease.
I've utilized this midpipe and encountered no noticeable power loss.

However, if you are seriously considering a change, I'd gladly assist you with other product offerings! I would recommend the Active Autowerke Equal Length Midpipe in such a case. It's a solid alternative that might suit your preferences better.
Does the equal length maintain the same power or is there a slight increase like the single?

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

How do you like the AA single non res with the dinan exhaust? I am currently with dinan mid and exhaust and have been wanting to get the single non res for a better exhaust note/tone.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 12:04 AM   #9
morefast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilbaran View Post
How do you like the AA single non res with the dinan exhaust? I am currently with dinan mid and exhaust and have been wanting to get the single non res for a better exhaust note/tone.
I think it’s great. I initially really wanted the equal length but I heard that many people ended up not liking it and went single. I haven’t heard any other exhaust combinations in person, so I can’t compare it to anything else. It sounds very deep and aggressive in the low rpms but the rasp throughout the rev range is very cleaned up and refined. I think this combination gives the S55 its most natual sound. It’s a deep note but one thing I will say that I wish was different is the monotonous tone. The sound is the exact same flat note from about 3k up to 7k. The low rpm growl is awesome and the barks when letting off at full throttle are LOUD and sound like a gun shot/whip crack. All in all, a very good option for a “cheaper” downpipe back, full exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Quote:
I think it’s great. I initially really wanted the equal length but I heard that many people ended up not liking it and went single. I haven’t heard any other exhaust combinations in person, so I can’t compare it to anything else. It sounds very deep and aggressive in the low rpms but the rasp throughout the rev range is very cleaned up and refined. I think this combination gives the S55 its most natual sound. It’s a deep note but one thing I will say that I wish was different is the monotonous tone. The sound is the exact same flat note from about 3k up to 7k. The low rpm growl is awesome and the barks when letting off at full throttle are LOUD and sound like a gun shot/whip crack. All in all, a very good option for a “cheaper” downpipe back, full exhaust.
Thank you appreciate that
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 01:13 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
Does the equal length maintain the same power or is there a slight increase like the single?
I dont think i ever saw any data showing a power increase with the equal length

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 02:22 AM   #12
BruskSeeKShots
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefast View Post
Is resetting fuel adaptations the same as resetting adaptations in bootmod3? Or how do I reset fuel adaptations
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:03 PM   #13
morefast
Rep

I’m not sure since I don’t have bootmod3. I have heard mixed things on whether or not this actually does anything or is a placebo. But I could feel a substantial difference. This is the sequence that I found and used.

Fuel Adaptations Reset
1. hit start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
2. then press the accelerator down to the floor for 5 sec
3. then hit start button once to turn off power
4. then remove foot from accelerator
5. then wait for 2 minutes
6. then start the engine like normal and try it out
Appreciate 0