BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-27-2023, 03:45 PM   #353
RAT3DM
Mod Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I made around 725-730whp and 650wtq with the following;
Pure Stage 2HF
NostrumHP S2 DI
NostrumHP HPFP (180bar)
Precision Raceworks Stage 3 Brushless LPFP
PETuned FlexFuel Tune via EcuTek

We stopped at this point to keep the stock motor happy.
Was able to run full E85 without a hiccup in the fuel system at this power level.
Could likely push it more.

The NostrumHP Injectors and HPFP helped a ton in holding good midrange.
The Precision Raceworks Stage 3 Brushless LPFP assured that top end had enough flow with E85 and this boost level.

Full transparency, I am amidst a motor build, single turbo, and planning to try port injection.
Thanks for the input my setup is very similar and minus the LPFP and that I'm using Eu5's and I have supertech valves and made 685/671. I am also doing full built bottom end now and hoping to push the needle on these turbos. I just absolutely love the powerband! Good luck on the single setup, sounds like a 900whp-1000whp capable monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
I want details on the build!
I saw your thread or thread someone tagged you in with the 700whp on the mosselman's with bendcalibration tune and talking about the "Sweet Spot," and I couldn't agree more hence me reviving these old post. Absolutely Love your build!
Appreciate 2
astris607.50
flipm3191.50
      03-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #354
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
I want details on the build!
I’ll post another thread here with my journey, lol.

I’m so bad at documenting these kind of things nowadays. 🤣
Appreciate 1
astris607.50
      03-29-2023, 06:14 PM   #355
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD_M4 View Post
I saw your thread or thread someone tagged you in with the 700whp on the mosselman's with bendcalibration tune and talking about the "Sweet Spot," and I couldn't agree more hence me reviving these old post. Absolutely Love your build!
Much appreciated. I have a full ongoing build thread as well (see my sig or photos subforum).

This thread actually inspired me. Haha. I was originally just going to slap some bigger turbos on and call it a day. 🤣
      04-16-2023, 02:43 AM   #356
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

This is my exact setup and this thread helped a lot! Got a 5.97 60-130 time on my manual M2c, tuned by Bend w/ ecutek. Got ample room to decrease it as well and to turn up the power.
Appreciate 5
TopJimmy5394.00
astris607.50
heitzke1152.50
      04-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #357
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
Ian and the team of calibrators at Bend Calibration.
He tuned my flexfuel enabled FBO set-up last summer and when I decided I was doing the EU5/Dorch lift kit this winter he was my first choice because of the amazing work he'd done. Currently (as in right now, this week) swapping in Kratos EVO turbos and you can guess who's gonna be tuning those when the weather get nice.
Sorry mates, I jumped drastically inside cause I am facing a strange situation.
To make the long story shorter, I lived great till 2 months ago with the config in signature. Then I ruined a spark and car started hiccups on heavy load. I replaced with ngk very good and fixed.
After raising up kratos pressure up to 2 bar AGAIN started hiccups (light ) on heavy load.
I am pretty sure is LPFP (NOT At ALL). iN FACT I PURCHASED THE HI PRECISION RACEWORKS STAGE 4.5 i'L LET YOU KNOW

PS VERY important: I' ve never used nothing but RON100, and with this gasoline I'm 100% overcoming 750 hp cause it reaches the limit of 720 at 4500 rpm and still goes up.....
Once installed the LPFP I'll dyne
BMW M4 F83 Stage 3/4 - Akrapovic Skat DP, NO OPF, eVenturi Intake, Okada Coils, Kratos Turbos EVO, Dodson 1000 Nm Clutch Dct - Mishimoto IC, Water and Oil Coolers - CP Carillo Pistons - Arrow Connecting Rods - Reinforced bearings - Halim Cazimi HCP Software 2.0 bar Turbo - XHPFlashTool for DCT Stage 3+

Last edited by Joy15779; 06-27-2023 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #358
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
So my dyno tune session with Jordan Tuned was today, and if I'm being quite honest I'm a little underwhelmed. I'm not sure if it's tuner related or mod related, but it does leave me with questions. I will state that communication and turn around on revisions was great despite their voice communication system being down.

A few caveats before the results: the tune was performed remotely via DynoJet but utilized SAE correction as opposed to STD correction during the majority of the pulls until the dyno operator figured out how to adjust them. Jordan Tuned also thinks that I may have a small boost leak somewhere (my builder is looking into it this week), and BM3 stopped communicating with my DME on the tail end of the E85 tune so we didn't have an opportunity to hit final revision status.

We started off by polishing up the 93 octane road tune; based on some of the results I'd seen I expected to be able to hit the magical 600whp mark relatively easy. Numbers aren't everything, but after a baseline 506wtq and 483whp on a custom stage 2 tune, I admit that expected a bit more than 561wtq and 539whp. While SAE does use a more strict correction factor, and if there is a boost leak it could obviously effect the outcome, I was informed that we we're "octane limited" which was a bit confusing given the reported results others have experienced on not only Kratos turbos, but Pures and GC's as well.

The E85 tune took some time, and we did experience some boost spiking which could have been attributed to the suspected boost leak. Although we didn't have the chance to finish it up due to the DME having communication issues, one of the last successful runs we had (STD correction) was 695wtq and 662whp. I have to admit, on a stock bottom end the 695wtq concerns me, and 662whp when alternate fueling typically nets 700whp+ feels off. Again, this could either be a limitation of the EU5's and upgraded HPFP's or the simple fact that we weren't able to finalize the tune.

Ultimately, I'm left unsure. The 93 octane tune left me feeling subpar, and the E85 results are concerning to me (albeit unfinished). I'm still considering moving forward with Halim and HCP being that he worked directly with Kratos and Dorch with the EU5 injectors previously, but I'll want to check for a boost leak first obviously.

I'm still learning to read the logs, but nothing drastic jumps out at me; if one of you guys wouldn't mind taking a look though I would be appreciated so I have a better idea of what to look for.

Data Log Links
93 octane :https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6109...0b431bdc8a387c

E85: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6109...0b431c63426ca0
I m with halim. He is 2 steps ahead
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 12:55 PM   #359
DeezBluBallz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, BMW M3

Getting the Dorch lift kit done. Quick question.

On my BM3 app. it has a listing for Spool, and Nostrum for the HPFP. Doesn't list Dorch. Can I run either of those in the drop down menu? Or what would someone recommend for someone running OTS flex tune, stage 2? I don't want to go down the custom tune route till I get 4N motorsports single on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #360
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezBluBallz View Post
Getting the Dorch lift kit done. Quick question.

On my BM3 app. it has a listing for Spool, and Nostrum for the HPFP. Doesn't list Dorch. Can I run either of those in the drop down menu? Or what would someone recommend for someone running OTS flex tune, stage 2? I don't want to go down the custom tune route till I get 4N motorsports single on it.
That's a good question actually. You're supposed to be able to run the Dorch kit with NO software change at all, but on their site they DO specify there are maps available for the Dorch.
      04-26-2023, 01:11 PM   #361
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
That's a good question actually. You're supposed to be able to run the Dorch kit with NO software change at all, but on their site they DO specify there are maps available for the Dorch.
You don’t need to change the BM3 drop down for the Dorch lift kit. If doing a custom tune your tuner could take advantage of the extra flow…
      04-27-2023, 09:16 AM   #362
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
You don’t need to change the BM3 drop down for the Dorch lift kit. If doing a custom tune your tuner could take advantage of the extra flow…
Ok cool, thanks for confirming. I thought that was the case.

When I had my Dorch kit and PR pump done, I didn't change any settings and was able to drive the car around pretty normally after but admittedly wasn't driving the best. I think that was more in part due to the LPFP change, but it was such a short period of time before I got retuned I couldn't recall.
      04-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #363
DeezBluBallz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5, BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Ok cool, thanks for confirming. I thought that was the case.

When I had my Dorch kit and PR pump done, I didn't change any settings and was able to drive the car around pretty normally after but admittedly wasn't driving the best. I think that was more in part due to the LPFP change, but it was such a short period of time before I got retuned I couldn't recall.
I hope it doesn't run poopy. I got to make it through the summer.

Did it run a little rough on full E85?

Not doing the custom tune till I can afford the single setup from 4-N.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #364
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezBluBallz View Post
I hope it doesn't run poopy. I got to make it through the summer.

Did it run a little rough on full E85?

Not doing the custom tune till I can afford the single setup from 4-N.
I’m sure a “reset adaptations” and some time for the car to re-learn is all that’s needed. My car ran smooth as butter on full E as long as it wasn’t freezing cold outside, and after a few minutes warming up the engine she ran purrrrfect.
      06-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #365
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition

Welp, figured I'd throw my name into the hat as well.

Current setup for my 2017 F80 Comp is:
- Stock Motor
- Insane Performance 2-pin crank hub
- High-Flow Catted DP's (brand unknown)
- Mid-pipe (brand unknown)
- BMC Drop-in's
- Bend Calibration/ID750 Flex-Fuel filter
- BM3 Fuel Fuel Sensor
- Stock HPFP's with Dorch S55 Lift Kit
- Stock LPFP
- Tuned on Flex 93/E85 via Bend Calibration (max power is E60-E65)
- xHP Stage 3 Trans tune
- Stock 666 wheels with Falken Azenis FK510's front/rear

The car is scheduled to go under the knife next Tuesday to add the following:
- Mosselman MSL65-80 turbos
- EU5 injectors
- Garrett TMIC
- Retune with Paul John on Flex 93/E85
- APEX VS-5RS in 18's with NT555G2's up front (275/35) and NT555RII's in the rear (305/35)

For those of you tracking, you'll notice I'm not adding the upgraded LPFP, yet. While the car is currently tuned on BM3 with Bend, the shop installing the parts uses Paul for similar setups. Switching to Ecutek and having Ian@Bend tune it is not out of the question, however, due to the timing, logistics, and to support the shop that's doing the work, I'm interested in seeing how Paul's tune plays out as he's tuned a ton of 700whp+ Pure cars. I have spoken directly with Ian about my plans and that I may end up switching over to him on Ecutek should I need to after the dust settles, but that's TBD.

The interesting part is that Paul has stated that the upgraded LPFP isn't needed based on how he tunes these setups. For him, it's the EU5's that will be the limiting factor, but, he did mention that a few WHP would be left on the table, but at the 700ish+whp mark, it won't be noticeable. Ian has his own tuning strategies that utilizes the upgraded LPFP via their "Sweet Spot" package so worst case, I end up running out of pump(s) while tuning with Paul and not hitting the "mark". Best case, I swap in the upgraded LPFP myself and revise the tune and see the delta

If all plays out, I should have the car back with some revisions at the end of next week but with hurricane season here in Florida officially kicked off, and my wheels/tires not shipping until early next week, it will most likely be a couple of weeks before I can provide an update.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 05:55 PM   #366
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Why the garret intercooler? It's not near the performance of the Wagner.

Paul likes to run things quite a bit leaner than Ian so that's likely what the difference is on the LPFP.
      06-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #367
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Why the garret intercooler? It's not near the performance of the Wagner.

Paul likes to run things quite a bit leaner than Ian so that's likely what the difference is on the LPFP.
The shop had to send back two Wagners due to fitment issues, from what they tell me. They would happily sell one to me but recommended the Garrett instead. I looked at their specs and what they claim, which appears to be decent, but have not seen it as a common option.

I have not used this shop before but they have a very solid reputation in S. Florida, so I'm trying several firsts here 👀😉
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 09:29 PM   #368
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

The Wagner needs some finessing to fit, not a straight drop in like others as it's a large IC. I had to loosen the turbo pipes a bit for fitment but no major issues once its all lined up. One thing to note is the oil filter cap will be slightly blocked by the IC in/out coolant hoses. Need to push IC back a little when removing cap, that's it. I almost bought a Garrett, but the data and feedback from Bend sent me to Wagner.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 11:21 PM   #369
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii View Post
The shop had to send back two Wagners due to fitment issues, from what they tell me. They would happily sell one to me but recommended the Garrett instead. I looked at their specs and what they claim, which appears to be decent, but have not seen it as a common option.

I have not used this shop before but they have a very solid reputation in S. Florida, so I'm trying several firsts here 👀😉
I installed my Wagner myself, was straight forward and easy with no issues.
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2023, 01:27 AM   #370
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Installed my Wagner as well...super easy and no fitment issues.
TopJimmy5394.00
      06-04-2023, 03:42 PM   #371
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep

Same here, direct drop in no fitment issues for the Wagner.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #372
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
I installed my Wagner myself, was straight forward and easy with no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Installed my Wagner as well...super easy and no fitment issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
Same here, direct drop in no fitment issues for the Wagner.
I've read that most have no issues but that some have. But, it seems that it may be a very minor number of people overall. That wouldn't of swayed me either, and if I was going to install everything myself, I would of most likely went with the Wagner as well but I'm rolling the dice based on the shops recommendation.

Cool thing about trying different parts is that we can share data to see how they fair. I know Ian@Bend did his comparison of the Wagner versus aftermarket TMIC and I'm not 100% certain but I believe that aftermarket cooler is the VSRF one, so I'm optimistic on the Garrett for overall performance due to their time in the industry as a whole.

With that, do any of you gents have logs from any 1/4 times where you may have hot-lapped back to back, or any 60-130 times where you ran a couple within a few minutes of each other? Maybe some dyno pulls where you where logging. Really interested in seeing some other real world examples of how different options fair, regardless of conditions, locations, etc..as I feel the delta would still provide valuable data.

My goal for the car is crack off mid 5 second 60-130's but not require "perfect" conditions. But being the kick-off to summer and hurricane season here in Florida, I'm not expecting peak weather conditions. However, I will still be logging several attempts when I get the car back and the tune is dialed-in, including at least a few back to back at my "spot" where the car will only get a chance to cool down for around 5 minutes +/- as I'm turn around and run it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #373
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii View Post
I've read that most have no issues but that some have. But, it seems that it may be a very minor number of people overall. That wouldn't of swayed me either, and if I was going to install everything myself, I would of most likely went with the Wagner as well but I'm rolling the dice based on the shops recommendation.

Cool thing about trying different parts is that we can share data to see how they fair. I know Ian@Bend did his comparison of the Wagner versus aftermarket TMIC and I'm not 100% certain but I believe that aftermarket cooler is the VSRF one, so I'm optimistic on the Garrett for overall performance due to their time in the industry as a whole.

With that, do any of you gents have logs from any 1/4 times where you may have hot-lapped back to back, or any 60-130 times where you ran a couple within a few minutes of each other? Maybe some dyno pulls where you where logging. Really interested in seeing some other real world examples of how different options fair, regardless of conditions, locations, etc..as I feel the delta would still provide valuable data.

My goal for the car is crack off mid 5 second 60-130's but not require "perfect" conditions. But being the kick-off to summer and hurricane season here in Florida, I'm not expecting peak weather conditions. However, I will still be logging several attempts when I get the car back and the tune is dialed-in, including at least a few back to back at my "spot" where the car will only get a chance to cool down for around 5 minutes +/- as I'm turn around and run it back.
Bend has already done a comprehensive study based on data logs (they weren’t a dealer for Wagner at the time either so no bias there) and found that the Wagner has significantly more effect than other “upgrades”. Mid 5 60-130 is easily attainable with the sweet spot setup. Mine is set up with pure stage 2 HFs and hits high 5 seconds on a manual car with significant turbo lag because of my lightweight flywheel right after my 3-4 shift; on a dct it should be much better. I ran this time after 4 or 5 60-130s back to back because I wanted to perfect my shift points.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 11:26 PM   #374
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Looking to chill around 680-700. Is this a very common outcome with EU5+turbos+lift kit on full e85? Im going through paul. can he make that power level happen on full e? Really just tryna get 6.0-6.1 60-130