Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-13-2022, 01:40 AM   #45
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
After a few delays for various reasons, I now have the Evolve Bilstein B6 shocks installed. They are paired with Eibach V1 and I'm also running Vorshlag camber plates up front (v2?).

Note that I have no basis of comparison regarding the standard B6 vs the Evolve B6, so I can only provide perspective as compared to stock shocks that had 78k miles on them paired with the Eibach V1 springs.

The car does sit a little higher. I do expect that to subside once the shocks have some miles on them.

General comment which applies to all EDC modes: the shocks are definitely firmer but not at all harsh. Rebound is MASSIVELY improved. The car feels much more settled and connected now.

Comfort mode: smooths out the bumps pretty well. Is firmer than stock but I found the stock shocks to be bouncy unless the car was fully loaded (family of four plus luggage). The real test will be whether my wife notices. Comfort to me feels a smidge more compliant than Sport on the stock shocks, but better settled and with no rebound. Honestly, I could now see myself driving in Comfort most of the time now. I hated Comfort mode before and now it's very nice.

Sport mode: not a lot to say beyond my general comment above. Rides pretty flat, no harshness, a bit firmer than stock, very well planted.

Sport+: TBD. (Note: this is not a "I don't like it but I just don't want to say it." This is truly a "I need more miles on some different roads before forming an opinion.") Definitely pretty firm but that's what I expected. Only drove in Sport+ for a couple minutes today and I can easily say that I prefer it over the stock shocks.

Hope this helps. I'll try to grab a picture tomorrow so folks can see the ride height with Eibachs.
Thank you for your review.

You may have already attempted to cover this and/or maybe you need more seat time before opining on this, but how do you feel the car maintains it's composure over bumpy/crappy roads?

Also, how jarring do you feel the car is over sudden bumps or depressions in the road?

Def looking forward to photos, to get an idea of stance.

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 12:44 PM   #46
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
After a few delays for various reasons, I now have the Evolve Bilstein B6 shocks installed. They are paired with Eibach V1 and I'm also running Vorshlag camber plates up front (v2?).

Note that I have no basis of comparison regarding the standard B6 vs the Evolve B6, so I can only provide perspective as compared to stock shocks that had 78k miles on them paired with the Eibach V1 springs.

The car does sit a little higher. I do expect that to subside once the shocks have some miles on them.

General comment which applies to all EDC modes: the shocks are definitely firmer but not at all harsh. Rebound is MASSIVELY improved. The car feels much more settled and connected now.

Comfort mode: smooths out the bumps pretty well. Is firmer than stock but I found the stock shocks to be bouncy unless the car was fully loaded (family of four plus luggage). The real test will be whether my wife notices. Comfort to me feels a smidge more compliant than Sport on the stock shocks, but better settled and with no rebound. Honestly, I could now see myself driving in Comfort most of the time now. I hated Comfort mode before and now it's very nice.

Sport mode: not a lot to say beyond my general comment above. Rides pretty flat, no harshness, a bit firmer than stock, very well planted.

Sport+: TBD. (Note: this is not a "I don't like it but I just don't want to say it." This is truly a "I need more miles on some different roads before forming an opinion.") Definitely pretty firm but that's what I expected. Only drove in Sport+ for a couple minutes today and I can easily say that I prefer it over the stock shocks.

Hope this helps. I'll try to grab a picture tomorrow so folks can see the ride height with Eibachs.
Thank you for your review.

You may have already attempted to cover this and/or maybe you need more seat time before opining on this, but how do you feel the car maintains it's composure over bumpy/crappy roads?

Also, how jarring do you feel the car is over sudden bumps or depressions in the road?

Def looking forward to photos, to get an idea of stance.

Many thanks!
I went for a quick drive at lunch and hit one of my close-by curvy but bumpy roads in Sport+ mode. The car is pretty well composed, much more so than the stock shocks. Undulations and such, especially around curves, are handled very well. No more "floaty" feeling which was common with the stock shocks.

I've attached a few photos…sorry for cloudy day and dirty car. I'll try to find an old picture with Eibachs and stock shocks for comparison.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      10-13-2022, 12:53 PM   #47
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

Photos aren't exactly like to like but should help compare.
Sunny pics = Eibach V1 + stock shocks (from two years ago)
Cloudy pics = Eibach V1 + Evolve Bilstein B6
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-14-2022, 09:01 PM   #48
eXstasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 F80M3, 11 E93M3, 06 E46M3

Thanks for your review JeffB-M3. May I ask which EDC coding you are using? OEM base?

General question for Imran@Evolve. How would these pair with CS EDC coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 07:32 PM   #49
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasy View Post
Thanks for your review JeffB-M3. May I ask which EDC coding you are using? OEM base?

Glad to help! Yes, using OEM coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #50
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasy View Post

I used both OEM and CS coding. OEM is great but CS is incrementally better. Even more composed. Worth the small investment. Get the GTS Traction, E-Diff and Steering at the same time. Excellent way to spend $200 or so.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2022, 09:10 AM   #51
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

I have B6 Damptronic with Swift springs on my E92 M3, and Tractive on my F80 M3. I think the Bilstien back to back with the Tractive, most people would take the Bilstien.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #52
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims M3 View Post
I have B6 Damptronic with Swift springs on my E92 M3, and Tractive on my F80 M3. I think the Bilstien back to back with the Tractive, most people would take the Bilstien.
That's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Bilstein is know to be more of a stiff setup on F8x. I have tractive coilovers on my F80 and I'm loving it so far.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 05:27 AM   #53
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Our version is not as stiff as Bilsteins on the F80 Platform.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #54
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Our version is not as stiff as Bilsteins on the F80 Platform.
Imran@Evolve, cost aside, how do you think these compare to proper EDC compatible coilovers, both in handling and in comfort level/compliance? For example, any thoughts on how these compare to the Bilstein coilovers or KW DDC?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 04:42 AM   #55
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Imran@Evolve, cost aside, how do you think these compare to proper EDC compatible coilovers, both in handling and in comfort level/compliance? For example, any thoughts on how these compare to the Bilstein coilovers or KW DDC?
No experience of KW DDC to make comment.

B16 EDC are very good in compliance/handling. Our EDC are slightly more compliant. Handling is dependent on what springs are being used. With normal springs not as good as B16. With MSS better than B16 - this is what we ran on our demo car as its final iteration.
Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      11-09-2022, 06:30 AM   #56
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Have more of these in stock ready to ship.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #57
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Just got my M4 back. Running the Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic Dampers with MSS HAS now. The reviews and videos on Youtube are indeed true and accurate. Car is very compliant on my brief drive home, tested on local roads that are complete garbage and also on the highway. Car soaks up bumps very well and car stays very planted along with my hotchkis sway bars. My OEM shocks only had about 34k miles on them, granted my car is 2015. Swapping over was a very nice improvement.

I actually swapped over from KW HAS since it was too low for me. I was running KW HAS + OEM EDC. Car was a bit bumpier, perhaps due to it being lower, but the Bilsteins + MSS HAS is much more satisfactory.

Drove on the highway in Sport and it rode like a Lexus, but stayed planted. Comfort / Sport on crap local roads and it was not bad at all. Sport+ definitely felt rougher, but tolerable and improved response.

Very satisfied with the upgrade and highly recommend as an alternative to the KW DDC / Bilstein B16 that is said to be much rougher ride.
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 3
RElias21562.50
KeyBoy34.00
      11-16-2022, 01:36 AM   #58
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims M3 View Post
I have swift with B6 Bilstein on F80. Combine with rear diff & thrust arm bushing. It's very stiff and compliant. Little NVH. Love this setup.
Appreciate 1
Zoomz_714.00
      11-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #59
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deteria View Post
Just got my M4 back. Running the Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic Dampers with MSS HAS now. The reviews and videos on Youtube are indeed true and accurate. Car is very compliant on my brief drive home, tested on local roads that are complete garbage and also on the highway. Car soaks up bumps very well and car stays very planted along with my hotchkis sway bars. My OEM shocks only had about 34k miles on them, granted my car is 2015. Swapping over was a very nice improvement.

I actually swapped over from KW HAS since it was too low for me. I was running KW HAS + OEM EDC. Car was a bit bumpier, perhaps due to it being lower, but the Bilsteins + MSS HAS is much more satisfactory.

Drove on the highway in Sport and it rode like a Lexus, but stayed planted. Comfort / Sport on crap local roads and it was not bad at all. Sport+ definitely felt rougher, but tolerable and improved response.

Very satisfied with the upgrade and highly recommend as an alternative to the KW DDC / Bilstein B16 that is said to be much rougher ride.
Thank you for the detailed feedback and glad you are happy with the set up. You echo my experience of this combination. It is really very good!
Appreciate 1
Deteria109.50
      11-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #60
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deteria View Post

Thank you for your feedback.
I've only seen Imran@Evolve review on youtube. Have you seen others? Can you provide links?

Also, can you post photos of your setup on the MSS HAS?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 05:14 AM   #61
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've only seen Imran@Evolve review on youtube. Have you seen others? Can you provide links?

Joe Achilles reviewed our F80 M3 with these dampers on when they were still in prototype testing/stage.

Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      11-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #62
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 m3 competition

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Joe Achilles reviewed our F80 M3 with these dampers on when they were still in prototype testing/stage.

Hi there I’m sorry is this has been covered somewhere. But I recall it being said that the b6 are not recommended for lowering springs. Are your version of the b6 shorter to suit lowering springs?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 08:31 AM   #63
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshawf80 View Post
Hi there I’m sorry is this has been covered somewhere. But I recall it being said that the b6 are not recommended for lowering springs. Are your version of the b6 shorter to suit lowering springs?
The normal B6 and our version are perfectly fine to use with lowering springs. We had been using normal B6's with 30mm lowering springs before developing our own.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #64
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 m3 competition

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
The normal B6 and our version are perfectly fine to use with lowering springs. We had been using normal B6's with 30mm lowering springs before developing our own.
Thanks for your reply. I’m really on the fence with what to go for, iv been looking and the kw ddc but have heard that progressive spring rates aren’t great for track or spirited drives, while iv heard good things about the comfort and daily drive, but not much on the faster side if thing. From what I have read the b16 are great on track but just too stiff on our roads. With my car how it is I’d say it’s on the limit for what I’d like for comfort, but when going fast through a roads I feel the car is just bouncing all over the place that it make my mrs feel sick. I’d like something that retains my current comfort level but at the push of a button better handling and control. And less head bobbing.
So I have a 2017 m3 competition bm3 stage 1 with gts dct and gts mdm on eibach springs with 763m wrapped in mps4s
Would recommend your b6 dampers with my springs, or am I going to be better with the mss springs you mentioned. Thanks again for your input
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2022, 11:58 AM   #65
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshawf80 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I’m really on the fence with what to go for, iv been looking and the kw ddc but have heard that progressive spring rates aren’t great for track or spirited drives, while iv heard good things about the comfort and daily drive, but not much on the faster side if thing. From what I have read the b16 are great on track but just too stiff on our roads. With my car how it is I’d say it’s on the limit for what I’d like for comfort, but when going fast through a roads I feel the car is just bouncing all over the place that it make my mrs feel sick. I’d like something that retains my current comfort level but at the push of a button better handling and control. And less head bobbing.
So I have a 2017 m3 competition bm3 stage 1 with gts dct and gts mdm on eibach springs with 763m wrapped in mps4s
Would recommend your b6 dampers with my springs, or am I going to be better with the mss springs you mentioned. Thanks again for your input
Eibachs will work fine with our B6 Dampers but MSS with B6 provide amazing ride and handling. Its what Joe tested in the video above and the same in my video posted earlier in this thread. Only negative with MSS on these dampers is they don't allow the car to be very low on the front from aesthetic point of view for some people.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #66
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

I've only just seen vids from Imran @ Evolve as well. I think they had a couple vids going over just the MSS and another vid that is MSS paired with the Bilsteins. It was great timing since the Evolve x Bilstein B6 just released so I jumped on it.

Sorry haven't been out and about since I got the car back to snap nicer photos. Took a few quick ones while in the garage. Height-wise, I purposely went with form & function since I don't want to destroy my front lip and I don't much care for being that low. I had my shop do a 5mm drop from factory measurements. Also I believe I'm running ~ -2 degree front camber. 265/35 & 285/35 19s.
Attached Images

2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 6
RElias21562.50
KeyBoy34.00
6ixSpd6011.50