proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-17-2023, 08:17 AM   #1
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Suspension squeak and moan while turning wheel

So for last few days I’ve been getting a squeak,moan, creak while turning my wheel to the right. It is only audible for the first half a turn of the steering wheel and only when turning right. It is not loud enough to be heard while moving over 10-15mph.

There is a very minimal noise while traversing a very bumpy road while going straight as well.

The car has had EMD springs with the EDC for about 8k miles and this just sprung up.

I will be getting it into a shop soon but just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I looked back there briefly and boots for the arms all look pretty decent but I need to get it up on a Jack this weekend.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzy View Post
So for last few days I’ve been getting a squeak,moan, creak while turning my wheel to the right. It is only audible for the first half a turn of the steering wheel and only when turning right. It is not loud enough to be heard while moving over 10-15mph.

There is a very minimal noise while traversing a very bumpy road while going straight as well.

The car has had EMD springs with the EDC for about 8k miles and this just sprung up.

I will be getting it into a shop soon but just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I looked back there briefly and boots for the arms all look pretty decent but I need to get it up on a Jack this weekend.

Thanks guys.
If all boots/joints looks intact it could be one of your springs binding at the upper perch. They should observe that area with the front wheels fully/partly loaded, and look to see if there is physical stuttering of the spring, corresponding to the sound, as it tries to rotate as the wheel is being turned.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I’ll have a look at that. From what I have searched on here my noise is more of a squeak compared to the bearing groan of the upper strut or a “click” from a spring.

I’ll have the wife turn the wheel while I try and have a look. Thanks.
Appreciate 0