Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #89
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
My guess is you'll see well used CCB cars with steel rotors when they become available.
They are available; F10 M5 front steels to the front and F8x Front steels to the rear
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #90
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
They are available; F10 M5 front steels to the front and F8x Front steels to the rear
I hope it's that easy, any confirmed installs? This would make upgrading to larger rotors and *gold level* calipers much easier for those peasants with tiny blue brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #91
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I hope it's that easy, any confirmed installs? This would make upgrading to larger rotors and *gold level* calipers much easier for those peasants with tiny blue brakes.
I doubt of any confirmed installs. But size wise they are nearly identical except 2 mm difference in thickness front/rear, which is easy to deal with. I doubt F10 M5 front hub carriers are different than F8x, but that's easy to confirm too. I am sure it won't be difficult to make it work, might even be 'plug-and.-play'
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #92
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Standard brakes are so good that I don't see benefit of CCB unless you got cash to blow.
I have never had a set of steel brakes that never warped or got glazed. I got the CCB so my braking will always be strong and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #93
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
I have never had a set of steel brakes that never warped or got glazed. I got the CCB so my braking will always be strong and smooth.
Really. Most of the GT3 owners that track a lot have switched to steel brakes. They have found the PCCB wear just as fast as the standard steel brakes. Replacing pads/rotors is much less expensive. That being said, not sure how the GT3 steel brakes compare to the M4 steel brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #94
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Really. Most of the GT3 owners that track a lot have switched to steel brakes. They have found the PCCB wear just as fast as the standard steel brakes. Replacing pads/rotors is much less expensive. That being said, not sure how the GT3 steel brakes compare to the M4 steel brakes.
That is really not accurate, and the Porsche steel brakes are very high performing, it is one of the strengths of the brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #95
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme View Post
Okay folks, here is the final answer. SI B000214, dated June 2014, asterisked sentence at the bottom of page 1, carbon ceramic rotors and pads are NOT covered under the Maintenance Program. Frustratingly, Jalopnik was right.
Nice work OP, putting that one to bed.

Also want to add, don't see why those of you that purchased under false pretenses shouldn't get some type of compensation from the dealerships or even BMWNA if you were told they were covered and you made your selection based on that false assumption. Even if they do last beyond the warranty, you still shouldn't have the possibility of out of pocket exposure IMO.
      07-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #96
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
You sir need to learn how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #97
Hymiet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme View Post
This may be old news to some of you on here, but it's new news to me. I'm now canceling my carbon brake order. Frustrating.

"It should also be noted that BMW's four-year maintenance plan covers replacement rotors and pads, but it will not cover the carbon option. So at $8,000 for the upgrade and about $2,000 per corner for replacement rotors that's something to be considered."

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/what-y...ium=socialflow
I asked the sales manager at Braman BMW in West Palm Beach about this and he said that the CCB's are absolutely covered by the standard warranty. Just FYI.

standard warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #98
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
That is really not accurate, and the Porsche steel brakes are very high performing, it is one of the strengths of the brand.
True, P-car is the standard for brakes, far better than Ferrari etc. However, the F8x series has the best standard brakes ever fitted to a BMW, big improvement even from the F10 M5's. Gap to Porsche has been closed and its long overdue.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #99
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
So have the new M4 steel brakes been tested thoroughly to have proven different? They are leaps and bounds better than the E9x brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
True, P-car is the standard for brakes, far better than Ferrari etc. However, the F8x series has the best standard brakes ever fitted to a BMW, big improvement even from the F10 M5's. Gap to Porsche has been closed and its long overdue.
Exactly. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up to track use. As will 911's steel brakes are a lot less expensive to maintain for track junkies.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #100
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

OK here is the final word from BMW NA.

Carbon Brakes are NOT COVERED under the maintenance plan and not eligible for the maintenance extension. BMW will be editing their website on this issue.

I really didn't read the whole thread on this and there is a lot of back and forth but I thought that this can help answer some questions. (my apologies in advance if it was posted already).

* I am a CA at a BMW dealership and have been in very close contact with the M-Brand executives and BMW NA.

Last edited by slalomfever; 07-30-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #101
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Open season on beating the hell out of your CCBs before the plan expires.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #102
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Haha, all the "glad I didn't get CCBs" people lost their ammunition now? I'm starting to like their tone more and more. They remind me of the E9X crowd a lot around here.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #103
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

hehe, I'm glad I didn't get the CCBs for all sorts of other reasons but I wouldn't be worried about free replacement of them during warranty anyway.

And, besides all that, understanding HOW they wear I wouldn't expect to get free replacement rotors under maintenance plan. Maybe pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #104
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I love my CCB's. Could care a less what others think/say. Save a buck if you like. I like the huge unsprung weight reduction as well as the brake feel of the CCB's. It was a cheap addition in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Haha, all the "glad I didn't get CCBs" people lost their ammunition now? I'm starting to like their tone more and more. They remind me of the E9X crowd a lot around here.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #105
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
I love my CCB's. Could care a less what others think/say. Save a buck if you like. I like the huge unsprung weight reduction as well as the brake feel of the CCB's. It was a cheap addition in my opinion.
Unfortunately there's almost no unsprung weight reduction, so scratch that off your list of pros
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #106
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Unfortunately there's almost no unsprung weight reduction, so scratch that off your list of pros
I guess. If you consider 20kg irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #107
dave885
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4

Quote:
Actually, I'm glad I didn't get the CCB's (personal preference of $ to value equation) AND I'm glad they're covered for those that that opted for them. You paid the freight to get them and you should get the same coverage as everything else in the maintenance plan.

Having read a lot of the debate in favor of and against getting the CCB's, I don't think people opted not to get them because they thought they weren't covered though. I think it was more along my lines of "is what you're getting worth the $8k."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #108
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave885 View Post
I think it was more along my lines of "is what you're getting worth the $8k."
Possibly not, but the car we all buy isn't worth what we paid for it either. The second we drive it off the lot, we couldn't sell it for what we paid so there's our proof.
      07-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #109
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave885 View Post
Having read a lot of the debate in favor of and against getting the CCB's, I don't think people opted not to get them because they thought they weren't covered though. I think it was more along my lines of "is what you're getting worth the $8k."
Ding ding ding
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #110
dave885
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4

Quote:
Possibly not, but the car we all buy isn't worth what we paid for it either. The second we drive it off the lot, we couldn't sell it for what we paid so there's our proof.
I think there is a difference between how we value it versus what we could sell it for and value doesn't equal price (how many "overpriced" used cars do you see for sale because they mean more to the seller than the market values them). There is value to people right now because they're new (model and car) and there is an always an emotional value to a new car.

The person who analyzes without the emotion will buy the used car and let the other person take the emotional "value of it being new depreciation." Problem right now is there aren't too many used F80/F82's around, so you either wait or pay the freight. There are plenty of people who have opted to wait if even just for better discounts.

Good thing is the world allows for all different types (there would be no used cars if it weren't for us new car buyers).
Appreciate 0