R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #67
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

I ordered these through a friend's local shop about 3 weeks ago and I've had them on my car for the last week now. Beautiful setup no doubt. Damping set at 5 feels good on the street. I combined them with tc kline camber plates and so far I've been more then pleased. No noise, easy adjustments for height and damping. I have a de at sebring this weekend so I'm eager to see the performance on track. I guess the real test is going back to a track I ran on while stock to get a true comparison, but any information should be valuable. Curious to see if damping changes can help cure the hard braking wobble.
      06-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #68
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
I ordered these through a friend's local shop about 3 weeks ago and I've had them on my car for the last week now. Beautiful setup no doubt. Damping set at 5 feels good on the street. I combined them with tc kline camber plates and so far I've been more then pleased. No noise, easy adjustments for height and damping. I have a de at sebring this weekend so I'm eager to see the performance on track. I guess the real test is going back to a track I ran on while stock to get a true comparison, but any information should be valuable. Curious to see if damping changes can help cure the hard braking wobble.
Wait....... I thought they weren't out yet

Unless you're referring to the non electronic ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #69
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep

non edc
      06-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #70
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
non edc
Nobody cares about non edc in this thread!

Stop getting peoples hopes up, c'mon man!
Appreciate 2
skewzm342.50
      06-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #71
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

So 4500 USD, means around $5500 CAD + shipping to Canada...

I was looking for billsteins a few years ago for a porsche and they were $5K so I guess this isnt the worst price. but still.... ugh
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #72
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Your set up deserves a new thread. There are a lot of inquiring minds that'd like to read on the details of it. You are on the PSS10s with TCKline plates? Did you have to do any mods to make the plates work?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #73
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
So 4500 USD, means around $5500 CAD + shipping to Canada...

I was looking for billsteins a few years ago for a porsche and they were $5K so I guess this isnt the worst price. but still.... ugh
No one pays list price for suspension around here. Example, KW CS is $4k list and handful of vendors sell them for around $3k.
      06-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #74
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
Your set up deserves a new thread. There are a lot of inquiring minds that'd like to read on the details of it. You are on the PSS10s with TCKline plates? Did you have to do any mods to make the plates work?
TCKline works on OEM top hat. As long as you don't have the a car built after 2015, the TCKR camber plates will work with OEM/V3/PSS10. BMW changed the bolt patterns after 2015 production so the TCKR cambers will not work for the newer F8x. TCKR will release the 2015 production version soon.

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-17-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #75
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Quote:
TCKline works on OEM top hat. As long as you don't have the a car built after 2015, the TCKR camber plates will work with OEM/V3/PSS10. BMW changed the bolt patterns after 2015 production so the TCKR cambers will not work for the newer F8x.
I'm confused now.. I didn't know the TCKline camber plates work on top of the OEM top hats. The TCKline DA / SA coilovers require the use of their camber plates. However, if the camber plates must be used in conjunction with the OEM top hats, why would I not be able to forego the camber plates on the TCKline SA/DA coilovers if I wanted to?

And if the plates are to be used on top of the OEM Top hats, I wonder how much that increases the stack height.

Paging Harold to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #76
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused now.. I didn't know the TCKline camber plates work on top of the OEM top hats. The TCKline DA / SA coilovers require the use of their camber plates. However, if the camber plates must be used in conjunction with the OEM top hats, why would I not be able to forego the camber plates on the TCKline SA/DA coilovers if I wanted to?

And if the plates are to be used on top of the OEM Top hats, I wonder how much that increases the stack height.

Paging Harold to chime in.
The new camber plates work with any suspension as long as it uses the OEM top hat. TCKR S/A and D/A come with their own top hats and camber plates, which you can't use the OEM top hats with their coils.

I'm a fan of TCKR coils, but their camber plates only have 3 camber settings. I'm not sure why they went that route. Maybe we don't need more than 3 settings (street and track). GC has a sliding type, which should release soon (if not already).
      06-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #77
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
No one pays list price for suspension around here. Example, KW CS is $4k list and handful of vendors sell them for around $3k.
Keeeeeep me in the loop
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #78
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

the conservative options for EDC cars just suck at the moment. i was liking the look of the eibach springs (albeit a little low for me) until i started to learn more about the spring rates. at this point i'm remaining optimistic that a good option will become available with the release of the forthcoming ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #79
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'll make one soon. I want to gather some more info and get some more miles on them first so I didn't sound like the guy trying to sell $1300 charge pipes the other week..
      06-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #80
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
the conservative options for EDC cars just suck at the moment. i was liking the look of the eibach springs (albeit a little low for me) until i started to learn more about the spring rates. at this point i'm remaining optimistic that a good option will become available with the release of the forthcoming ZCP.
Other than the height, our stock suspension is very capable. You'd be surprise how fast you can go around the corner with stock suspension. I'd hate to see anyone replacing just springs, especially the spring rate that the OEM struts aren't valved for it. Stiffer and lower springs don't always mean better performance, especially with incorrectly valved struts.

Most people set and forget their suspension. If your setup is perfect, you don't really need that EDC dial. Just get KW V3 or PSS10, then code EDC off. You'll be surprise how nice they ride without touching the dials. PSS10 is a one knob adjustment and easy to get to, if you like easy just go with PSS10. You just have to note the clicks for street vs track.

You can get the PSS10 and V3 around $2k. I personally think the V3 (2 knobs) is harder to make adjustment compared to the PSS10 (one knob). If you're not a suspension expert or need to go around the track .0005 sec faster, you don't really need independent bound and rebound knobs. One knob for both should do. Either are better performing than OEM EDC.
      06-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #81
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
Keeeeeep me in the loop
Code EDC off and get PSS10 for $2k for now. Sell it and get the electronic version later. I will doubt you'll sell the PSS10 after you learn how nice it rides after tuning it just right. Just my 2 cents.
      06-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #82
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
The new camber plates work with any suspension as long as it uses the OEM top hat. TCKR S/A and D/A come with their own top hats and camber plates, which you can't use the OEM top hats with their coils.

I'm a fan of TCKR coils, but their camber plates only have 3 camber settings. I'm not sure why they went that route. Maybe we don't need more than 3 settings (street and track). GC has a sliding type, which should release soon (if not already).
Right on. Thanks for the info. As far as the fixed 3 settings, I can only speculate that maybe TCKline wanted to prevent accidental slippage? I'm not sure how prevalent that problem might be as I've never used camber plates on a BMW before.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #83
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o
Quote:

Right on. Thanks for the info. As far as the fixed 3 settings, I can only speculate that maybe TCKline wanted to prevent accidental slippage? I'm not sure how prevalent that problem might be as I've never used camber plates on a BMW before.
Structural integrity and slippage "might" be an issue. Maybe that's why GC still hasn't released their kit yet.

TC rigorously test his products in the track, I'm sure there is a reason other than cost.
      06-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #84
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

speaking to your point, it's likely that with the oem tires, even the coilovers you suggest would generate lower cornering speeds than OEM suspension, as ALL the squishy bits and geometric settings in the chassis (not just springs and dampers) are tuned to be commensurate with the grip level in the tires being used. coilovers alone are a performance downgrade. i'd be far more confident in the dynamics of a bmw EDC/ZCP suspension than any KW, Bilstein, or whatever else.

my love for the OEM EDC suspension is exactly why i don't personally like the available lowering spring OR coilover options. i change damper settings regularly, and very much enjoy their functionality. i suspect BMW may soon release ZCP springs for this chassis, as they have done for past generations, with michael-wimbeck-approved spring rates. THAT's what i want on my car.

Quote:
Other than the height, our stock suspension is very capable. You'd be surprise how fast you can go around the corner with stock suspension. I'd hate to see anyone replacing just springs, especially the spring rate that the OEM struts aren't valved for it. Stiffer and lower springs don't always mean better performance, especially with incorrectly valved struts.

Most people set and forget their suspension. If your setup is perfect, you don't really need that EDC dial. Just get KW V3 or PSS10, then code EDC off. You'll be surprise how nice they ride without touching the dials. PSS10 is a one knob adjustment and easy to get to, if you like easy just go with PSS10. You just have to note the clicks for street vs track.

You can get the PSS10 and V3 around $2k. I personally think the V3 (2 knobs) is harder to make adjustment compared to the PSS10 (one knob). If you're not a suspension expert or need to go around the track .0005 sec faster, you don't really need independent bound and rebound knobs. One knob for both should do. Either are better performing than OEM EDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #85
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I hate to say it, but if I could do it again I would have went with no EDC and just purchased a set of KW Clubsports. I got EDC and went with the HAS kit which has proven to be an OK setup but I'm certainly not in love. At some point I'll end up with KW/TCK/JRZ, but for the moment I've already invested $2,000 into the current setup so seems stupid to change out now. Oh well!
      06-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #86
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
I hate to say it, but if I could do it again I would have went with no EDC and just purchased a set of KW Clubsports. I got EDC and went with the HAS kit which has proven to be an OK setup but I'm certainly not in love. At some point I'll end up with KW/TCK/JRZ, but for the moment I've already invested $2,000 into the current setup so seems stupid to change out now. Oh well!
no regrets here... i'm loving the EDC. hopefully i can find a way to get the front just a hair lower without crapping on the hours of engineering that went into this by bmw. if not, i'll probably just stay stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #87
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
I am ready to pull the trigger on the HAS kit with my EDC set up. But you have me worried. Why are you not in love? Noisy? Bouncy? Too firm? I need your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
no regrets here... i'm loving the EDC. hopefully i can find a way to get the front just a hair lower without crapping on the hours of engineering that went into this by bmw. if not, i'll probably just stay stock.
I like my EDC too, and just want the front lowered. Rear is almost fine for me, just hate the front wheel gap. I'm no track monster, so I don't need anything overly aggressive, just want the car a tad lower, especially up front. I don't mind a slightly firmer ride overall, but nothing crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #88
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

I don't track my M4 and I am getting H&R springs installed tomorrow.. How bad is it really? I've talked to a few owners that have them and they felt a stiffer ride of course but as good or better handling.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0