R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep
Drives: 2023 G83 BG/FR/ 963M wheels

OE brake dust????

Hi All:

About to order a 2016 M3. It will be my first. Sold my C-7 last month. Cars past, two CTS-V's and the C-7 the OE brake dust drove me nuts. With those three I ended up doing the Hawk street ceramics and the dust problem was gone. I fully understand that dust with a performance pad comes with the territory, but I will not be tracking the car. Just would like any feedback if there's a ton of dust from the base OE pads. I plan on ordering the silver 19" wheels. Also, if you're running aftermarket ceramic pads, are you happy with them? Noise, pedal feel, etc? Based on the lack of posts when I searched here, I am hopeful that it might not be a big issue. My X1 with M Sport has none to speak of. Thanks in advance for your input! Dick

Last edited by Rotherd31; 05-31-2015 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherd31 View Post
Hi All:

About to order a 2016 M3. It will be my first. Sold my C-7 last month. Cars past, two CTS-V's and the C-7 the OE brake dust drove me nuts. With those three I ended up doing the Hawk street ceramics and the dust problem was gone. I fully understand that dust with a performance pad comes with the territory, but I will not be tracking the car. Just would like any feedback if there's a ton of dust from the base OE pads. Also, if you're running aftermarket ceramic pads, are you happy with them? Noise, pedal feel, etc? Based on the lack of posts when I searched here, I am hopeful that it might not be a big issue. My X1 with M Sport has none to speak of. Thanks in advance for your input! Dick
I have stock brakes...they dust like mad, but they bite like crazy, so OK with them (by far best stock brakes I've had on any car). I have the silver 19" wheels and they look dusted over in about 3-4 days driving about 15 miles a day. I imagine if you had the black rims you wouldn't notice as much or need to wash less frequently. Fortunately the 5 spoke 19's are very easy to clean. I might try aftermarket pads when these get replaced.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

I have CCBs so no issues wrt dust but from what I have read on these boards brake dust with the OE steel set up is brutal. There are threads here which elaborate... Good luck. Enjoy the new car when you get it.
      05-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Mucho brake dust with the OEM steel brakes, but wow, what stopping power. I have the 19s in black and dust is evident after a day or two of driving mixed highway and city driving.

Just get some Poorboys wheel cleaner, rinse, and you are good to go.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

The black show the dust more IMO. The shine and gloss look turns to matte in two days after cleaning them. I have yet to find a spray and rinse product to easily clean them. I wash and bust out a microfiber cloth to wipe down by hand after they dry with my favorite glass cleaner. Seems to work the best for me so far. Maybe others have some good cleaning advice that is better.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I have OEM steel, they're very dusty and require a car wash every other week. If that's "one" thing that will drive you crazy, either get CCBs or wait for EBC low dust pads.
      05-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
About to order a 2016 M3. It will be my first. Sold my C-7 last month. Cars past, two CTS-V's and the C-7 the OE brake dust drove me nuts. With those three I ended up doing the Hawk street ceramics and the dust problem was gone. I fully understand that dust with a performance pad comes with the territory, but I will not be tracking the car. Just would like any feedback if there's a ton of dust from the base OE pads. I plan on ordering the silver 19" wheels. Also, if you're running aftermarket ceramic pads, are you happy with them? Noise, pedal feel, etc?
OEM BMW pads always dust, but stop really well for street pads. And they are quiet.
You can and will fade them during last autoX run (if you are pushing for the last few 0.1's), and you will absolutely fade them on track. But they are perfect for street use. If you can live with dusting.

The dust color matches the greyish hue of my 18" OEM wheels really well, turning them into a darker shade of grey overtime. In fact, I never wash my wheels without washing the car overall - just enjoying their evolving color scheme over time ;-)

a
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

If I didn't order the ccb, I would change out the stock pads for the carbotech 1516 the next day. I ran those pads on my previous m5 and it reduced the dusting from the oem pads by a good 60-80%. Stopped just as well if not better than the stock pads.
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

Thanks, Mario !!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Mucho brake dust with the OEM steel brakes, but wow, what stopping power. I have the 19s in black and dust is evident after a day or two of driving mixed highway and city driving.

I have been looking for a bottle spray on cleaner that you rinse off and go. Is Poorboys an actual brand and does it work well?

I used to use BMW wheel cleaner until they changed their formula and it didn't work anymore.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER
Quote:

I have been looking for a bottle spray on cleaner that you rinse off and go. Is Poorboys an actual brand and does it work well?

I used to use BMW wheel cleaner until they changed their formula and it didn't work anymore.
Yes it is indeed a real product...

Check it out here:

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/pbsrwc32.html" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.autogeekm...rwc32.html</a>

Added bonus...Autogeek is also having a sale today.

My recommendation would be to get the one gallon jug and a couple of bottle sprayers.

Also...do it when the brakes and wheels are cool. The rotors will form an orange film which comes off with the first couple of stops.

I have been using it since my car delivery in October of last year and am amazed by the cleaning power. Truly no scrubbing required.

Enjoy

Appreciate 2
      05-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
omgwtfbbqm4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

OEM brakes are pretty dusty, BUT not the dustiest I've had...

...lookin' at you, '14 IS350
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:

Check it out here:

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/pbsrwc32.html" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.autogeekm...rwc32.html</a>

My recommendation would be to get the one gallon jug and a couple of bottle sprayers.

Also...do it when the brakes and wheels are cool. The rotors will form an orange film which comes off with the first couple of stops.

I have been using it since my car delivery in October of last year and am amazed by the cleaning power. Truly no scrubbing required.

Enjoy
Thanks, just ordered it, I will post feedback once I try it out.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #14
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:

Check it out here:

Enjoy
Vigilant, so I ordered the poorboys gallon size wheel cleaner, took a while to get here (Military APO box) and I finally used it yesterday.

Holy crap that stuff is AWESOME! Sprayed on and hosed off, just like the old (and I mean 5-6 years ago) BWM wheel cleaner spray.

The stuff is industrial though, starting smoking when it hit the wheels....and yes they were cold. The fumes almost killed me but man that stuff WORKS!

I checked the label on the bottle and it didn't say anything about diluting, do you use full strength?

Thanks for the tip, the stuff is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Forums are a great thing!

Appreciate 3
      06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Engine brake all the stops! but no I'm most likely going to get Ceramic pro done on my paint and wheels.. they'll still get dusty probably but the clean up should be easier.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER
Quote:

Check it out here:

Enjoy
Vigilant, so I ordered the poorboys gallon size wheel cleaner, took a while to get here (Military APO box) and I finally used it yesterday.

Holy crap that stuff is AWESOME! Sprayed on and hosed off, just like the old (and I mean 5-6 years ago) BWM wheel cleaner spray.

The stuff is industrial though, starting smoking when it hit the wheels....and yes they were cold. The fumes almost killed me but man that stuff WORKS!

I checked the label on the bottle and it didn't say anything about diluting, do you use full strength?

Thanks for the tip, the stuff is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Forums are a great thing!
I am glad it worked for you. I apologize for not sharing the dilution detail. You can get a bottle sprayer and dilute one part water and one part Poorboys.

Having said that I use full strength and perform the cleaning outside with cool brakes.

Glad to be of help.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

anyone knows if OE quality low dust pads are out yet by ANY aftermarket company?

*edit*
Anyone have experience with Stoptech or Ferodo DS2500 pads?
I'm looking for similar OEM bite but lower dust
thanks

Last edited by pikkagtr; 07-25-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #18
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

Your timing posting on my thread was appropriate! I was within a day or two of doing the same.

Did some research and found this set of ceramic pads for our cars on Amazon. First some background. I've run numerous sets of the Hawk Street Ceramics on some of my past cars, two CTS-V's and my C-7. Loved their pads and how they practically eliminated the brake dust. I had no plans of tracking any of these cars. If I did, I would have purchased some track pads for those days.

When I found these pads on Amazon I was somewhat skeptical, as I had never heard of Power Stop before. Went on their site and shipped an email with some questions to them. Heard right back from their production mgr. He answered my questions and I ordered a set. I figured with the price, even if I didn't like them it was no big financial loss.

Got the pads and it was an easy swap. The pads even have the OE balance weights for noise/vibration. Same notch location for the sensor and that was also an easy swap. I also followed their bedding-in procedure found on their site, as I didn't find that procedure on the package.

I've had them on now for 600 miles. Some mixed miles between stop and go and freeway and no rain over this distance. Nothing but road dust on the wheels. Even less brake dust than the Hawks. Great pedal feel and zero noise. At this time they only have the front pads. Production mgr says within 3-4 months the rears will be in production. Obviously with the front rear bias, the rear OE's shed much less dust than the fronts, but when the rears come into production, I will run those also.

Bottom line. I could not be happier with the results and the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-16-...015%3Abmw%3Am4

Last edited by Rotherd31; 07-26-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
elmerzasty
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80

DS2500 = more dust than stock (also a lot more stopping power).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #20
Rotherd31
User Name
Rep

Thought I would move this back on the first page, as there are several that are searching. Read my post #18 for more info. 3500 miles on the front pads as of yesterday and still couldn't be happier with them. I know, very low cost pads, but they've been great thus far. The rears should be out shortly, based on what they told me four months ago. Dick
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Try this product:

Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #22
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Your timing posting on my thread was appropriate! I was within a day or two of doing the same.

Did some research and found this set of ceramic pads for our cars on Amazon. First some background. I've run numerous sets of the Hawk Street Ceramics on some of my past cars, two CTS-V's and my C-7. Loved their pads and how they practically eliminated the brake dust. I had no plans of tracking any of these cars. If I did, I would have purchased some track pads for those days.

When I found these pads on Amazon I was somewhat skeptical, as I had never heard of Power Stop before. Went on their site and shipped an email with some questions to them. Heard right back from their production mgr. He answered my questions and I ordered a set. I figured with the price, even if I didn't like them it was no big financial loss.

Got the pads and it was an easy swap. The pads even have the OE balance weights for noise/vibration. Same notch location for the sensor and that was also an easy swap. I also followed their bedding-in procedure found on their site, as I didn't find that procedure on the package.

I've had them on now for 600 miles. Some mixed miles between stop and go and freeway and no rain over this distance. Nothing but road dust on the wheels. Even less brake dust than the Hawks. Great pedal feel and zero noise. At this time they only have the front pads. Production mgr says within 3-4 months the rears will be in production. Obviously with the front rear bias, the rear OE's shed much less dust than the fronts, but when the rears come into production, I will run those also.

Bottom line. I could not be happier with the results and the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-16-...015%3Abmw%3Am4
Just wondering.... Does replacing brake pads to a different brand other than OEM pads void any kind of warranty?
Appreciate 0