R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-14-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Upgrade rear sway bar bushings for ZCP?

My Turner diff plate should be arriving soon (finally!).... since the subframe will be dropped, should I have my installer trade up the stock ZCP rear bar bushings to Powerflex purples while he's there? Car is daily driver but sees the track too (also have the B16 Damptronic kit).

Haven't seen much chatter about these going bad or replacing them in general -- any potential downsides or reasons not to?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Doesn't really seem worth it to me. They're not bonded or super tightly clamped like the front sway bar bushings. I don't think you're really gaining anything.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271100.50
      01-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Doesn't really seem worth it to me. They're not bonded or super tightly clamped like the front sway bar bushings. I don't think you're really gaining anything.
Good info, thanks. Given that, will prob skip
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

I'm putting my turner diff plate on my ZCP soon too and was thinking the exact same thing.

I was even thinking a step further and trying to decide if it's worth swapping to a different rear bar.

jfritz27 did you similarly conclude that it's not worth doing the rear bar? I put the M2CSR bar on the front, which I think helped a lot, but never felt that the rear needed to be stiffer, but it would be so easy to change with everything apart for the diff plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
I'm putting my turner diff plate on my ZCP soon too and was thinking the exact same thing.

I was even thinking a step further and trying to decide if it's worth swapping to a different rear bar.

jfritz27 did you similarly conclude that it's not worth doing the rear bar? I put the M2CSR bar on the front, which I think helped a lot, but never felt that the rear needed to be stiffer, but it would be so easy to change with everything apart for the diff plate.
Yeah, I'm on the B16 Damptronic kit, which is pretty stiff itself, so thus far on track (in the 1 season I've been running that suspension, admittedly not a ton of days) I haven't perceived an issue (that I know of) with insufficient rear roll stiffness. Since I am a bit lowered I do plan on throwing on the adjustable SPL endlinks to optimize the geometry and call it a day for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #6
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Yeah, I'm on the B16 Damptronic kit, which is pretty stiff itself, so thus far on track (in the 1 season I've been running that suspension, admittedly not a ton of days) I haven't perceived an issue (that I know of) with insufficient rear roll stiffness. Since I am a bit lowered I do plan on throwing on the adjustable SPL endlinks to optimize the geometry and call it a day for now.
I ran the Bilstein B16D last season also. Unfortunately, in under 7k miles, one of the shocks started leaking on me. I am in the process now of switching over to an MCS 3 way, since Bilstein won't send me a new shock until I remove the broken one. I agree that the B16D feels stiff on the street, but all season I wondered if it was stiff enough for serious track duty. The setup always felt slightly oversprung and underdamped to me. Comfort mode very bouncy on the street, sport plus felt great but a little stiff for the street but not quite stiff enough on the track.

My main issue with the B16D setup is I felt that it had a lot of body roll on hard cornering, so I would get almost as much inner tire wear on the opposite side of the car that's getting the typical outer edge wear. Stiffening the front roll bar helped immensely. The back end always felt very planted but easily controlled rotation on the corner exit with the throttle on, which is why I didn't feel like the rear sway bar needed replacement.

If you haven't already, I recommend you install front monoballs and rear toe arms. I got the dinan kits for both and it made it car feel much more composed on turn-in and exit, with no impact to NVH. I haven't felt the need to go the full SPL route yet, but we'll see how far down the rabbit hole my addiction takes me...
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
I ran the Bilstein B16D last season also. Unfortunately, in under 7k miles, one of the shocks started leaking on me. I am in the process now of switching over to an MCS 3 way, since Bilstein won't send me a new shock until I remove the broken one. I agree that the B16D feels stiff on the street, but all season I wondered if it was stiff enough for serious track duty. The setup always felt slightly oversprung and underdamped to me. Comfort mode very bouncy on the street, sport plus felt great but a little stiff for the street but not quite stiff enough on the track.

My main issue with the B16D setup is I felt that it had a lot of body roll on hard cornering, so I would get almost as much inner tire wear on the opposite side of the car that's getting the typical outer edge wear. Stiffening the front roll bar helped immensely. The back end always felt very planted but easily controlled rotation on the corner exit with the throttle on, which is why I didn't feel like the rear sway bar needed replacement.

If you haven't already, I recommend you install front monoballs and rear toe arms. I got the dinan kits for both and it made it car feel much more composed on turn-in and exit, with no impact to NVH. I haven't felt the need to go the full SPL route yet, but we'll see how far down the rabbit hole my addiction takes me...
I do have monoballs on the front thrust arms as well as the adjustable rear toe links, definitely good bang for the buck with those for sure.

I may not be fast enough yet to notice what you observed on the front end... I will say that with axle-swapping the front tires after each event I got pretty even wear on my last set of NT01s (with about -3 of camber)

With upgrading the front bar, did you notice any big change in street behavior/NVH? Did you upgrade/renew the bar bushings when you did it?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:54 PM   #8
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I do have monoballs on the front thrust arms as well as the adjustable rear toe links, definitely good bang for the buck with those for sure.

I may not be fast enough yet to notice what you observed on the front end... I will say that with axle-swapping the front tires after each event I got pretty even wear on my last set of NT01s (with about -3 of camber)

With upgrading the front bar, did you notice any big change in street behavior/NVH? Did you upgrade/renew the bar bushings when you did it?
Yes, you had to get a new bushing with it because it's a larger diameter bar. I ordered the OEM M2CSR bushing that goes with the bar. There were P/Ns and a website somewhere on bimmerpost where the bar was being discussed. It was pretty inexpensive and shipping from Germany was pretty quick. There are two (or 3) settings on the bar, and I still have it in the softer setting. May try the stiffer one at some point to see if I notice a difference on the track, but will likely wait until after I get used to the new suspension (don't want to change too much at once).

On the street, it'd be really hard to notice unless you were driving like a maniac, but the front end did feel more direct and responsive. No downsides from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0