GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #89
LRGM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 225i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
So:
Iron to CCB = booster and coding
CCB to iron = no booster or coding needed?

I did the Iron to CCB swap earlier last year, and I spent hours and hours researching all of the coding threads and speaking with a bunch of people. I also drove my car before and after the coding.

It is my conclusion that the coding does absolutely nothing to how the brakes perform, and it is purely so that the ECU has record of it being a ccb car and potentially for an ABS situation. Someone can tell me otherwise if they'd like, but there are no electronic pieces that come between the manifold and the brake booster on the vaccuum line - and I do not think the ABS module is doing anything during normal braking.

The car did not feel ANY different before or after coding. People in other threads that have claimed to have felt this difference from coding seemingly also did other things while they were coding - such as bleeding, booster swap, etc - so I am lead to believe the changes were the result of those other things.

I would love if someone told me otherwise - but I don't think the coding really does anything for functionality and if someone does think so - explain to me how it's doing that in a mainly mechanical system
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #90
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRGM3 View Post
I did the Iron to CCB swap earlier last year, and I spent hours and hours researching all of the coding threads and speaking with a bunch of people. I also drove my car before and after the coding.

It is my conclusion that the coding does absolutely nothing to how the brakes perform, and it is purely so that the ECU has record of it being a ccb car and potentially for an ABS situation. Someone can tell me otherwise if they'd like, but there are no electronic pieces that come between the manifold and the brake booster on the vacuum line - and I do not think the ABS module is doing anything during normal braking.

The car did not feel ANY different before or after coding. People in other threads that have claimed to have felt this difference from coding seemingly also did other things while they were coding - such as bleeding, booster swap, etc - so I am lead to believe the changes were the result of those other things.

I would love if someone told me otherwise - but I don't think the coding really does anything for functionality and if someone does think so - explain to me how it's doing that in a mainly mechanical system
I don't think they would be able to. Probably just hearsay or some mechanic told them and they took it for fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #91
LRGM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 225i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
I don't think they would be able to. Probably just hearsay or some mechanic told them and they took it for fact.
Ya exactly, all my research led me to think it was all just placebo and heresay on the coding thing
Appreciate 1
dms-011131.00
      10-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #92
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

Has anyone ever done the iron to CCB swap without changing the booster? Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anybody mention doing the CCB swap but keeping the iron spec booster.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 04:04 PM   #93
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRGM3 View Post
Ya exactly, all my research led me to think it was all just placebo and heresay on the coding thing
M2C 6MT with 2nh brakes, to swap ccb need coding, otherwise braking becomes an odyssey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
Has anyone ever done the iron to CCB swap without changing the booster? Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen anybody mention doing the CCB swap but keeping the iron spec booster.
I did the conversion on mine with stock booster, you don't need the booster of ccb brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 09:04 PM   #94
stevenshocker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

So if someone with steel brakes wanted to do CCB swap. Essentially all you would need is calipers, brakes, and rotors. Coding and brake booster IS NOT required to run CCB brakes on a car that was equipped with steel brakes. Would the bigger brakes have any issues with braking due to bigger pistons and stock booster/master? Kind of a noobie to this stuff... thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #95
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Everyone go to https://www.surfacetransforms.com/ and aske them to make us a rotor!!
Surface Transforms
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 05:28 PM   #96
Talx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Everyone go to https://www.surfacetransforms.com/ and aske them to make us a rotor!!
Surface Transforms
I got an email from them about 3 months ago that they where working on rotors for our aplication and that they will be available soon they even gave me a price.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 06:21 PM   #97
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sweet. I sent them an email but being in England on Friday at 2pm est I figured they were gone. What was the price???!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:17 PM   #98
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talx View Post
I got an email from them about 3 months ago that they where working on rotors for our aplication and that they will be available soon they even gave me a price.
Price?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:54 AM   #99
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Surface Transforms
Also what kind of timeframe was “soon”?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:08 PM   #100
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also what kind of timeframe was “soon”?
I would advise you to send them an email.

They told me they can put the kit into production and supply me with one but I had already sourced a new set of OEM rotors so I didn’t get it, they quoted me £10,051.26 ex vat for 4 rotors (front and rear) to work with original pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 04:25 PM   #101
Track/S
Major
Rep

For that price, I'd rather buy a OEM set with calipers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 01:26 PM   #102
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
For that price, I'd rather buy a OEM set with calipers.
Your missing the point, OEM rotors are only good for about 10-15 track days, these rotors are supposed to be good for twice that and then you can send them in to get refurbished by pregnating them with carbon for 4-5 additional times for the fraction of the cost.
OEM rotors are garbage when they are finished and the cost of replacing them is almost 75% of the cost of a complete kit just for the front rotors.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #103
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your missing the point, OEM rotors are only good for about 10-15 track days, these rotors are supposed to be good for twice that and then you can send them in to get refurbished by pregnating them with carbon for 4-5 additional times for the fraction of the cost.
OEM rotors are garbage when they are finished and the cost of replacing them is almost 75% of the cost of a complete kit just for the front rotors.
We would have to wait before confirming the durability, and I would also like to know the refurbished price... because if they charge the same as Germans, it is still more profitable to buy the OEMs.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #104
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We would have to wait before confirming the durability, and I would also like to know the refurbished price... because if they charge the same as Germans, it is still more profitable to buy the OEMs.
I’m not sure why you say we need to wait to confirm durability considering they are widely used with good feedback by the Porsche community. And according to them it’s a 600$ per rotor refurbishment cost so basically a fraction of the cost of replacing two OEM front rotors
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #105
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure why you say we need to wait to confirm durability considering they are widely used with good feedback by the Porsche community. And according to them it’s a 600$ per rotor refurbishment cost so basically a fraction of the cost of replacing two OEM front rotors
I sent ST an email. So a $600 refresh would last last only a few more track days? How many hours are we talking here?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #106
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
I thought it was a new company, if the porsche users are happy then it's ok, 600e is a good price.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 04:09 PM   #107
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I thought it was a new company, if the porsche users are happy then it's ok, 600e is a good price.
Ya look up rennlist
Lots of GT3/2RS GT3/4 are using them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/performa...ke-rotors.html

And if you look at the long run it’s defiantly cost evective. I’m definitely going to try them out next set.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 04:11 PM   #108
Talx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I sent ST an email. So a $600 refresh would last last only a few more track days? How many hours are we talking here?
I’m not sure exactly, on the OEM set I managed personally about 10 track days and I would imagine 10-15 hard road trips
They are claiming that there discs should last twice as long on each refurbishment
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #109
Indvdl M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D, '15 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenshocker View Post
So if someone with steel brakes wanted to do CCB swap. Essentially all you would need is calipers, brakes, and rotors. Coding and brake booster IS NOT required to run CCB brakes on a car that was equipped with steel brakes. Would the bigger brakes have any issues with braking due to bigger pistons and stock booster/master? Kind of a noobie to this stuff... thanks in advance.
I believe this is incorrect. If you currently have steel brakes (of any size) you will need coding and a booster swap to have a properly functioning CCB setup. The difference in friction created by CCB's need to be accounted for by both coding and the specific brake booster. If you just want to swap to the larger M2C steel rotors and calipers, then the brake booster does not need to be swapped.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #110
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indvdl M View Post
I believe this is incorrect. If you currently have steel brakes (of any size) you will need coding and a booster swap to have a properly functioning CCB setup. The difference in friction created by CCB's need to be accounted for by both coding and the specific brake booster. If you just want to swap to the larger M2C steel rotors and calipers, then the brake booster does not need to be swapped.
It is correct, I have changed from steel to ccb just changing discs and pads, disable via esys fading and emergency braking, no booster needed...
Appreciate 0