Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #67
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Just a heads up for those who are interested in getting a bit more bass, I also upgraded my system to stage 1 but opted out from getting the ghost subs from bav, since bavsound subs run at 8 ohms, I went with rockford fosgate at 4ohms same fit as oem but definitely more bass
      02-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #68
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djvolume View Post
Just a heads up for those who are interested in getting a bit more bass, I also upgraded my system to stage 1 but opted out from getting the ghost subs from bav, since bavsound subs run at 8 ohms, I went with rockford fosgate at 4ohms same fit as oem but definitely more bass
Your OEM amp will overheat. Not now perhaps, but it will.

There is a technical reason that Bavsound sells an 8ohms woofer for the HK and RF does not.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #69
Djvolume
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016-X5M 2018-M4 Comp 2024-X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Your OEM amp will overheat. Not now perhaps, but it will.

There is a technical reason that Bavsound sells an 8ohms woofer for the HK and RF does not.
Been running this setup for some time now without an issue, I'm also not cranking the volume to more then 50% , theoretically you are correct thou
      02-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #70
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Everyone talks up the Bavsound speakers over the HK system and I had tried them for a month or two in my e46 M3 before returning them. The speakers didn't seem to come alive until the volume was extremely loud leading me to believe the stock HK amp just didn't have enough power to benefit from those speakers at less than deafening levels. At lower levels the mid speakers didn't even seem to be on.

I just don't believe a significant improvement can be realized by upgrading speakers without upgrading power. If Bavsound had an amplifier solution for their speakers than I would have purchased it instead of returning the speakers. If that combo worked well, I would have a Bavsound combo now. They definitely had great customer service but I remain skeptical of anyone's review claiming how things are night and day better if all they did was replace speakers.

I'm pretty happy with the HK but looking for my next gift to myself soon. Too bad there is still no plug and play amp upgrade available.

I'll see if I can find someone near me that will let me hear the difference in person to see if it is worth another shot.
I live in Austin. I'm happy to meet up with you some time to let you hear my Bavsound + ghost subs. I think it's a giant improvement over stock, and I fixed the low volume problem by playing with the equalizer.

Stock bass was muffled, highs and mids were not well defined. Bavsound provides punch bass and fairly clear high/mids. It's not at the level of F10 B&O, but it's still pretty good. I think that the inferior DSP is the problem moreso than the power from the amp.

I'm undecided on whether I'm going to upgrade further. It seems like the chances of getting the reward I want are rather small compared to the cost/risk.
Playing with the EQ is a must!
Adjusting the equalizer to your taste after the speaker upgrade makes the system more livable.
After buying my car the 2 biggest gripes were the stereo and the exhaust, I've replaced both and much happier (not fully satisfied but I can live with it).
Another point, adjust the EQ to the audio source you use the most. CDs, Bluetooth, mp3 on the hard drive, radio, and sat radio all sound extremely different to me. I set up my EQ for ACC music stored on the HD. It sounded high and tinny this I toned down the highs and upped the bass so I could hear those ghost subs!
Mind sharing your audio source and EQ settings?
Here's mine:
Attached Images

02-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #71
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Adjusting the equalizer to your taste after the speaker upgrade makes the system more livable.
After buying my car the 2 biggest gripes were the stereo and the exhaust, I've replaced both and much happier (not fully satisfied but I can live with it).
Another point, adjust the EQ to the audio source you use the most. CDs, Bluetooth, mp3 on the hard drive, radio, and sat radio all sound extremely different to me. I set up my EQ for ACC music stored on the HD. It sounded high and tinny this I toned down the highs and upped the bass so I could hear those ghost subs!
Here's mine:
Stereo and exhaust are also my two biggest complaints. Hoping the MPE I’m having installed right now will fix the latter. On that note, I’d love to provide my settings but my car is at the dealership.

I will put them here as soon as I get it back. I have the highs turned up much more and the bass more centered. I tuned mine to Bluetooth because that’s all I really use. I agree that the upgraded stereo is probably livable but not really satisfying.

On your other note, I remember in my e92 cars (Dinan stage 3 335i and m3), the HD music was stored at some terribly low bitrate. That could be your problem with the tinny highs if the storage bitrate is the same in the F32.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #72
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Here's mine:
I got my car back on Thursday, so as promised, here are my settings. Note that I have my stereo coded to B&O, as I think it sounds slightly better (clarity at the expense of bass, although who knows...might be placebo effect).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #73
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Does anyone know or can provide better EQ settings for streaming off bluetooth.

I mostly listen to Google Play or Spotify now and wondering if it can be further improved on stock setup by playing around with the settings.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #74
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

I mostly listen to Google Play or Spotify now and wondering if it can be further improved on stock setup by playing around with the settings.
I'm not sure how much help I can be given that: (1) I have the Bavsound speakers; and (2) I'm coded to the B&O equalizer.

That said, you may want to try the settings I've posted above. I do use Bluetooth streaming. I don't love these settings, but I hate them less than the other settings I've tried.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #75
Jbellah
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

while listening using bluetooth the sound isn't going to have the quality as using a cord.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #76
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Quote:
That's because the impedance is literally half so if the 8 ohm sub was getting 50 w then the RF sub is getting twice that so the output will be louder since the subs are more efficient, just be careful from throwing the amp into protect mode
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #77
cmacclel
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Does anyone know the output location at the amplifier of the factory under the seat woofers? I'd like to add a small sub in the trunk and would like to tap off of their signal.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #78
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacclel View Post
Does anyone know the output location at the amplifier of the factory under the seat woofers? I'd like to add a small sub in the trunk and would like to tap off of their signal.

Thanks
Yes, just the question I was going to ask. I’ve just upgraded my underseat woofers. Ended up with the Audison APBMW S8’s in 2 ohm option.
Quality is night & day to the stock woofers, but at such low impedance, they’re clipping with the volume turned up.
I just want to add a separate 2 channel amp to drive them, feeding the new amp by speaker inputs. So I need to know which wires coming out of my HK Logic 7 amp are the ones feeding the woofers... Anyone? Pretty please?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #79
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacclel View Post

Thanks
I've now sorted mine, so can tell you....

The wires for your under-seat woofers are thicker than the others coming out of the amp.
Thick black & red is Left woofer +ve.
Thick black & brown is Left woofer -ve.
Thick blue & red is Right woofer +ve.
Thick blue & brown is Right woofer -ve.

In this same loom, you will also find a thin white & red wire, which doesn't twist round another (as all the other speaker wires do). This wire is an ignition live wire that can be used as a remote to switch an additional amp on.

Hope this helps.
      10-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #80
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

I’m just looking to mount an amp and a sub box in the trunk and call it a day. Gonna cost over $1K though for everything so still debating. Thanks for the Great info posted above. It is much appreciated. Hopefully in time we will have many more options for the F80.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #81
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I’m just looking to mount an amp and a sub box in the trunk and call it a day. Gonna cost over $1K though for everything so still debating. Thanks for the Great info posted above. It is much appreciated. Hopefully in time we will have many more options for the F80.
Musicar NW. plug and play
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:51 PM   #82
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

I am taking my car in to MusicarNW in Portland on Saturday for an upgrade. MOST bridge, DSP, Amp and some speakers. Also adding a powered sub (JL Audio Powerwedge+) as I have a convertible and it barely fits in the space between the trunk and the back seat. Really existed to upgrade the sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #83
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
I am taking my car in to MusicarNW in Portland on Saturday for an upgrade. MOST bridge, DSP, Amp and some speakers. Also adding a powered sub (JL Audio Powerwedge+) as I have a convertible and it barely fits in the space between the trunk and the back seat. Really existed to upgrade the sound.
I'd love to see pics of the install. In particular, how the powerwedge fits since its a nice plug and play solution for some additional bass.

Are you keeping the underseat woofers?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #84
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some test fitting pictures of the JL Audio Powerwedge+ (10"). I had this one in my pickup and it was within 1/8" of the opening size so I decided to see if it works. I had to remove one small plastic bracket (nothing was attached to it - it is at the top left corner of the sub looking from the trunk area {see the folded down carpeting near the O}) that I have no idea what it does since nothing was attached to it.

View from the trunk:

View from back seat area (seat folded down):

Side connections to the powered sub:

As far as the install goes, here are the spec's, won't have any pictures until next week once I pick up the vehicle, but also not sure if there will be much to see other than the control knob for the sub and JL Audio Fix processor.

Mobridge DA1 - MOST to analog/digital converter
Arc XDi1200.6 - 6 channel amp
Morel Hybrid 402 speakers for the front doors
Factory HK speakers for the rear
Disconnect center channel speakers
JL Audio TwK D8 digital processor
Jenhert XE200 under seat woofers
Various cables and adapters, disconnect active sound

Will report back on sound impressions when the car is back in my possession.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #85
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Thanks much for the pics and info. Looks like a good fit and easily returned back to stock.

Is there an advantage to pointing the sub to the back of the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #86
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

I have a 2018 M3 with the Harman Kardon Sound system. I'm wondering if the Bimmertech Amplifier is worth it to upgrade for $800. It's also Plug n Play. Otherwise I may just wire up a sub box/ and amp and call it a day.
      11-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #87
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
Thanks much for the pics and info. Looks like a good fit and easily returned back to stock.

Is there an advantage to pointing the sub to the back of the vehicle?
Primarily for clearance, otherwise the grill of the sub is touching the back seat. In any case, you probably have to keep the plastic panel in the trunk folded down or remove it. You do lose the storage space for the wind deflector, you will have to keep it in the trunk instead or in your garage if you never use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #88
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I have a 2018 M3 with the Harman Kardon Sound system. I'm wondering if the Bimmertech Amplifier is worth it to upgrade for $800. It's also Plug n Play. Otherwise I may just wire up a sub box/ and amp and call it a day.
BimmerTech amp is not compatible with the HK system.
Appreciate 0