Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Bavsound or Bimmertech Subwoofer

I'm thinking about improving the low end bass for the HK system. Anyone have suggestions on whether Bavsound's Ghost sub or Bimmer-Tech's Alpha One A90 sub is better?

I've heard diff clips on youtube but it's hard to tell if the difference is due to the mic recording the vid, or if the 2 subs have diff specs and do perform different?

I'm looking for it being able to hit lower / deeper.

I know a trunk setup is best, but I don't want to go that route as I have a full blown home theater setup if I wanted pure quality bass. Just looking to kick things up a notch with them under seat subs.
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I’m with you, and asked in another thread and never got response. I also want to make sure I am not thread jacking but believe this is appropriate and contributes:

The bavsound sub is 4 ohms. I was told anything below 7.2 ohms over taxes the factory hk amp. Is this true? If so, are you planning on powering the replacement “subs” with another amp?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I found this vid and it has the sound I'm looking for. But that guy also upgraded his speakers too.

I chatted with Bimmer-Tech and the sales rep said upgrading subs while keeping the HK amp will sound like that. Their Amp is technically better than HK. I'm guessing it isn't as much of an upgrade if we already have HK, so they don't list it as a selectable item when choosing the system.

I'm just hoping it actually sounds as deep as that. I tried searching quite a bit but couldn't get any good answers either. I'm guessing most people with the M3/M4 just run a loud exhaust so they don't care much about the audio?
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I’m with you, and asked in another thread and never got response. I also want to make sure I am not thread jacking but believe this is appropriate and contributes:

The bavsound sub is 4 ohms. I was told anything below 7.2 ohms over taxes the factory hk amp. Is this true? If so, are you planning on powering the replacement “subs” with another amp?
I thought the bavsound sub matched the factory and should be ~ 7 ohms? I think the sub was meant for a direct drop in without upgrading amp for it. Of course with a separate amp it will sound better. But if I plan on upgrading the amp, I am not sure if it's better going with a lower ohm sub, since shouldn't an aftermarket amp provide more power (provided it's stable to let say 2 ohm)? Typically 4 ohm output let say 200W, 2 ohm (if stable) will be ~350-400W? Does it mean if it's 7 ohm the power will only be ~ 100W?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

FWIW, I upgraded my Hifi speakers, amp, and subwoofers at different stages with Bavsound (got a killer deal). The amp made the most difference in my system, and even though the bass is much more clean, it's not much louder. Not sure I'd pay full price for the sub upgrade, and it's definitely not as loud/thumping as the stock HK system in my brothers 428i.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post

I thought the bavsound sub matched the factory and should be ~ 7 ohms? I think the sub was meant for a direct drop in without upgrading amp for it. Of course with a separate amp it will sound better. But if I plan on upgrading the amp, I am not sure if it's better going with a lower ohm sub, since shouldn't an aftermarket amp provide more power (provided it's stable to let say 2 ohm)? Typically 4 ohm output let say 200W, 2 ohm (if stable) will be ~350-400W? Does it mean if it's 7 ohm the power will only be ~ 100W?
I believe they're 8 ohm woofers for the F80 HK system. They make them in other flavors depending on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot to update, but I ended up getting the Bimmer-Tech Alpha One A90 subs. I would like to say they sound much better and cleaner.

For reference, with the stock subs I had my bass settings at max. The new ones I can run them at 0 to sound about the same as it used to at max. With the new subs, I obviously have the bass cranked up and it's hitting much harder (almost 2x).

Vid for reference. Play from computer speakers for better audio as phone speakers lack bass.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WrxAzTU8uu7rphP59
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I believe they're 8 ohm woofers for the F80 HK system. They make them in other flavors depending on the car.
Wish that SWS made these in 8 ohms then.. did that upgrade to the hifi in my f30 and the side skirts rattled from the additional output... was perfect.
Appreciate 0