Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #89
tkbj1201
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

BMW Advanced Eye

Has anyone used this before? If yes, how much it and was it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #90
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Med. Blue

Hi all,

I have the cam installed yesterday. No problems except in parking mode recording. It records about 2-3 hours in parking mode. Happened two times. I've checked on-screen battery voltage on the last recorded part and it shows 12.8V. Any ideas, why this happens?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #91
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by civciv View Post
Hi all,

I have the cam installed yesterday. No problems except in parking mode recording. It records about 2-3 hours in parking mode. Happened two times. I've checked on-screen battery voltage on the last recorded part and it shows 12.8V. Any ideas, why this happens?
Well the camera does have a voltage monitor that will cut it off if the battery voltage drops too low. It may be doing that. Another possibility is it is possible to change the length of the parking mode recording time by manually editing the config file on the SD card.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #92
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Med. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Well the camera does have a voltage monitor that will cut it off if the battery voltage drops too low. It may be doing that. Another possibility is it is possible to change the length of the parking mode recording time by manually editing the config file on the SD card.

It's possible. The latest records on the card show that camera recorded 5 hours parking footage. I'll change the setup.cfg file and see what will happen.

Last edited by civciv; 08-18-2016 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #93
f32socal
Rep
Drives: 428i F32

I just had the advanced car eye installed on my f32. I called a few dealers in socal area but they never heard of the dashcam and said they would not be able to install it so I had to go to another car audio shop. I am having an issue where the camera stays in parking mode and beeps when I go over bumps or accelerate quickly. Anyone else have a similar issue? When on the freeway the LCD screen turned on for like 3 minutes but then it went back into park mode. I'm thinking of trying to hit the reset button. Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #94
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32socal
I just had the advanced car eye installed on my f32. I called a few dealers in socal area but they never heard of the dashcam and said they would not be able to install it so I had to go to another car audio shop. I am having an issue where the camera stays in parking mode and beeps when I go over bumps or accelerate quickly. Anyone else have a similar issue? When on the freeway the LCD screen turned on for like 3 minutes but then it went back into park mode. I'm thinking of trying to hit the reset button. Any other suggestions?
The screen does not stay on while driving. All you need to do is tap it if you need to use it for whatever reason. It is still recording. The beeps you hear are most likely because it thinks you are being hit if you hit a bump while driving. It seems a little sensitive at times and all it means is it puts that time +/- 1 minute into an incident folder so if someone does hit you it is easier to find that file that to search 6 hours of video for it. Hope that helps you out.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #95
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f32socal View Post
Not sure about the park mode bit but if you slacken the screw holding the camera in place about a quarter of a turn or so it will stop the beeping over bumps
      08-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #96
f32socal
Rep
Drives: 428i F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320 View Post
The screen does not stay on while driving. All you need to do is tap it if you need to use it for whatever reason. It is still recording. The beeps you hear are most likely because it thinks you are being hit if you hit a bump while driving. It seems a little sensitive at times and all it means is it puts that time +/- 1 minute into an incident folder so if someone does hit you it is easier to find that file that to search 6 hours of video for it. Hope that helps you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
Not sure about the park mode bit but if you slacken the screw holding the camera in place about a quarter of a turn or so it will stop the beeping over bumps
Thanks for all the info! I reset the camera and hopefully it will start working properly and fix the park mode bug.

If anyone is interested in purchasing one also, I got it from here and got offered price of $290 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-...VXuw4a&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 04:02 AM   #97
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
It just looks so damn big! I wish the front camera was the same size as the rear.
2022 G01/X3 DG/TR M40i
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #98
dbperformance
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: None

Hi all,

I'm having a question about the motion detection. How does this works? It also works for people that are moving around you car or only with a bump to the car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:09 AM   #99
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvdberg
Hi all,

I'm having a question about the motion detection. How does this works? It also works for people that are moving around you car or only with a bump to the car?

Thanks!
It works for both. The motion detection is for when you are parked. I believe it records +\- 1 min from when the event happens. Either somone walks close to the vehicle or it is bumped.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #100
Sierralimaoscar
Rep
Drives: X5 Xdrive40e

Can somebody with the bmw cam installed clarify a point for me?

You can chose to record front or front and back. Does it record two separate streams on the SD card? In other words, do you get two separate "clean" videos and not just the picture in picture combo.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #101
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierralimaoscar View Post
Can somebody with the bmw cam installed clarify a point for me?

You can chose to record front or front and back. Does it record two separate streams on the SD card? In other words, do you get two separate "clean" videos and not just the picture in picture combo.

Thanks!
It is a single file with the two video feeds within it. They are not overlaid though. They are recorded as separate streams inside the file along with the GPS and accelerator data.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #102
Sierralimaoscar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
It is a single file with the two video feeds within it. They are not overlaid though. They are recorded as separate streams inside the file along with the GPS and accelerator data.
Got it! Thanks!

New question: Does anybody know how to switch from German to English interface on the Camera? Is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #103
Sierralimaoscar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierralimaoscar View Post
Got it! Thanks!

New question: Does anybody know how to switch from German to English interface on the Camera? Is it possible?
NVM

Figured it out myself.

The first time it switches on after a fw upgrade it gives you the option to chose between several languages.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #104
oliverpool
Rep
Drives: 116D

Does anyone know if it would be possible to improve the quality by specifying higher bitrates? Basically the video pixelates or breaks up when there is a whole lot of movement on the scene.

I find the sharpness a little lacking on this unit coming from a Vico came previously. You have to be almost right behind the unit to be able to make out the license plate number. The Rear cam quality is also rather poor.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #105
2seriesaddict
Private
Rep
Drives: 220i with m235 looks

Hi!
I recently bought the camera and once it went out off the dealer that installed it, I began learning. Basically rear camera was not connected properly and I fixed it. One thing that gets to me is that I can't see the same videos in my mac that with the camera. Any chance you know why the difference? On the other hand, while seeing videos in the camera, I often get "Invalid File" in a sequence. From that point forward nothing is recorded until a new event happens. Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks!
      08-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #106
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Yup - found this on a German forum, which I translated and stuck in a text file along with the zipped config file. Haven't tried it yet in case I break something.
This worked for me
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #107
Pepito66
Registered
Rep
Drives: Gray 5 series/2012

Quote:
I have had the BMW Advanced Car Eye on my M4 for the last month. If you want to know anything about it let me know.
Hi i have the same dash camera for long time is great but now I have an issue with the calibrations of the screen looks like lost the position so now I can press or use all the functions that are located to the top of the screen because the position to activate those functions now is even higher out of the screen so I can’t use the top functions of the screen , I try to recalibrate , I reset the sister and nothing change , do you have any idea. I am thinking to buy another one and just replace the front camera because is the one that has the problem. If you know something how to fix it please let me know , I already all to the BMW dealer they don’t know about this BMW product , I bought mine from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:47 AM   #108
chimray
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

Hi my rear camera get blur recently, how can I fix it ? I used this camera (front and rear) for 4 months and just happen rear camera problem now, see photo, left is front and right is rear.

Highly appreciate comment how to fix, thanks !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:27 AM   #109
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I have to say I'm questioning the long term reliability of this dash cam. I've had mine for about 2 years but now when it is cold outside the screen turns green and doesn't show anything until it warms up.

I think it's time BMW release a new version of this dash cam with better resolution, compression and reliability as there are plenty of newer dashcams that now do a better job.
      01-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #110
Davetwilliams
Rep
Drives: 340i touring

I just fitted this and my rear cam is severely blurred out of the box. When I looked closer the lens is free to rattle around in the main housing. It looks as though it should have been held in place with glue. I wonder if any others going blurry have got the same fault as mine - glue unstuck and allowing the lens to move out of its correct position?!

Taking mine back up to the dealer (UK based - hopefully for a straight swap).
Appreciate 0