BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-04-2017, 02:36 AM   #23
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanm3 View Post
Just take it into service, had the same problem they took the seat out and resealed everything, now there is not sound at all..
hey mate

can you elaborate on exactly what the sealer did so i can go in with some info off the bat
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #24
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
hey mate

can you elaborate on exactly what the sealer did so i can go in with some info off the bat
Yes please
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #25
Park89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Smile

Quote:
Ok after playing around with some diy fixes, I've finally got it sorted

I ended up using foam insulation tape, cut it thin and ran it along the channel between the Centre strip and outer seat back part

Going to have to re apply it a bit cleaner for a permanent install

I still can't believe this is what's required on a car like this, and just like the creaky door rubber/black trim, Hans didn't pick this up during r&d

Are we sharing the same noises though? i'm getting the "ticking" sound from the both driver & passenger back seats whenever the car is pushed back.
The "ticking" sound goes away as i grab the center console plastic trim area towards the door.
Currently, My car is at the dealership for the 2nd time to fix this stupid noises + door creaking noises (they'll apply 3M Teflon Tape for the door creaking noises.. we'll see what happens).
I don't know what they'll do to the back seat noises though. I'll keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:03 AM   #26
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeh mate same plastic ticking noise, when I push back into the seat, and sometimes when cornering - the sound is plastic on plastic flexing

The felt is either preventing the inner strip buckling or dampening the sound, either way it works

My noise seems to be coming directly bw the holes, i applied the felt in that area only and it still worked

The only fix I think is replacement seat backs and like I said earlier, you'd need to put some circlips along the full length where the centre piece is plastic welded in place (on the inside)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #27
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just take it into service, had the same problem they took the seat out and resealed everything, now there is not sound at all..
Currently they don't know what to do with that seat ticking sound...
Please share SIB # if you have one for this issue.
Please save all us from the evil!!!!
Appreciate 1
domino_z1239.50
      03-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #28
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park89 View Post
Currently they don't know what to do with that seat ticking sound...
Please share SIB # if you have one for this issue.
Please save all us from the evil!!!!
agreed!

SIB or troll post
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #29
vanm3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Sry didny check the forum for few days..
Here is the work sheet, hope this helps
Attached Images

03-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #30
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Mine squeaks against the center console. Don't notice it too much since I have music blasting most of the time.
      03-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #31
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I'm having the same issue here. Only mine is more of a "sticky" noise if that makes sense.
      03-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #32
zhp330i
Rep
Drives: 330i

Had the same issue with my MY17 ZCP M3. Sounded like a ticking or light popping sound from the driver seat.

Took it in and they are replacing my seat frame tomorrow. We'll see if that solves it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp330i View Post
Had the same issue with my MY17 ZCP M3. Sounded like a ticking or light popping sound from the driver seat.

Took it in and they are replacing my seat frame tomorrow. We'll see if that solves it.
Nice! let us know if that helps!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #34
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sry didny check the forum for few days..
Here is the work sheet, hope this helps
Thank you! i sent that picture over to my SA and he passed it onto the tech guy.

I'm hoping that they will get rid of that evil living inside of my car!!

Thanks a lot though!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #35
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

+1 thanks for posting

going to just let the dealer sort this, balls having to drive around a 140k car with felt tape on the seatback....and teflon tape around the window rubbers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #36
zhp330i
Rep
Drives: 330i

Wanted to get back to you guys and hope this info helps others. The official diagnosis for my seat noise was "lose components in seat frame". The fix was-replaced the driver side front lower seat frame.

Got the car back today and so far, quiet as a library from the seat. Will see if that holds over the next coming days.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #37
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp330i View Post
Wanted to get back to you guys and hope this info helps others. The official diagnosis for my seat noise was "lose components in seat frame". The fix was-replaced the driver side front lower seat frame.

Got the car back today and so far, quiet as a library from the seat. Will see if that holds over the next coming days.
By seat frame do you mean the seat back or the metal back rest

The latter would involve removing the cushion and be a huge job
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #38
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

I've got my car back and after week later the sound started coming back again.
I'm asking for a brand new seat because i was there for 3 times to fix the same issue. but nothing has been solved. (we'll see what happens)

They called the BMW engineer to fix the noise. What they did was to put teflon tapes all around the area where leather and the frame meets.. this gave me a silence for a week but it started coming back.

Is it only us having the seat noises?!?! it feels like its for only unlucky ones who's having this issue.. GOSH!! FML!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #39
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My noise seems to be intermittent

Sometimes I only hear it getting in the car, sometimes it rattles everytime I accelerate from rest

It's one of those things I'm starting to think might be best left alone, I'm just not confident having a dealer peel back the seat leather and re attach it properly without wrinkles

If anything, I was thinking of buying a new seat back, doing all the felt tape and insulation myself, then having my local interior trimmer swap it over
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #40
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

domino,
I think i have this slightly as well, when pressing the throttle, you get pushed into the seat, and creak. I actually thought at first, it was in the rear side panel, so have had that off. Then thoughts were its the seat, as when i hold the top of the seat whilst driving, i dont here it as much, but its damned uncomfy doing that . Will investigate the seat further now after treading this, as i thought i was imagining it a little, as you do.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #41
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i can replicate the sound by just pushing my back into the seat, or even pushing left/right into the backrest bolster to simulate cornering lean

it's such a sh!t issue to have on a car like this, and i still can't fathom how it got past r&d
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #42
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i can replicate the sound by just pushing my back into the seat, or even pushing left/right into the backrest bolster to simulate cornering lean

it's such a sh!t issue to have on a car like this, and i still can't fathom how it got past r&d
Yeap.
I'm telling you man.. demon lives in the seat. *Ticking Demon*

Perhaps, you too can take the car into the dealer and see what they come up with so we both can share what's being done on the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #43
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park89 View Post
Yeap.
I'm telling you man.. demon lives in the seat. *Ticking Demon*

Perhaps, you too can take the car into the dealer and see what they come up with so we both can share what's being done on the car?
i'm pretty sure i'm going to fix this myself - and swallow the out of pocket costs for seat back and labour

i have my clock spring being replaced by dealer atm, and am sweating thought of pulling trim apart with a screw driver

funnily enough, the x1 loaner i have has creaky seat backs too, but not as bad

i pulled my interior down on my evo x, and felt wrapped every plastic on plastic panel gap and clip, and sound insulated all trim below waistline, i just thought those days of chasing rattles were over given i ditched my jdm garage for euros - though i have had absolutely zero issues with my jag

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:00 AM   #44
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

domino,
What is a clock spring ?
Appreciate 0