Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richf80 View Post
Yes I did. GC were a noisier and occasional clunk noise. No other complaints about them though. I heard good things about Vorshlag so I made the switch. So far they are quiet.
I am about to put Vorshlage Plates on my 18 M2, and was watching Vorshlages' video on their web-site. They say to always use an Impact Gun while tightening the top mounting nut, as it is the only way to tighten it and prevent the failure of the bearing. All Shock manufacturers state never use an impact gun, and only use an open ratchet wrench with another socket to go thru that socket and hold Shock stem from spinning. They say using impact gun will destroy shock seals. Having never done this yet,what is your experience?
lol, I've seen this video before and cringed the first time I watched it. The top mount bolt backed out on me 3 times even with loctite (the last time while at a track day). I then resorted to tightening it with my impact gun and it has not backed out since. He is right that the bolt requires more torque then you are able to get with a wrench, but I think the important part here is to watch the shaft and stop when you see it begin to spin. Allowing the shaft to spin while using an impact gun is what I believe damages the shock.

I would suggest first using loctite and regular tools and resort to the impact gun only if the bolts back out. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1