proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
Kiko_f80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB ///M3

Had the same vibration issue, but in low speed (Chassis Restriction message popped up) took it to the dealer and was advised Driveshaft needed to be replaced. Covered under warranty, problem fixed 👍🏼
Attached Images

shay2nak1070.00
      10-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #24
MarcoM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i, 2015 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky03 View Post
On my issue, the vibration came/felt from back side of the car, and slightly noise like something spinning with difficulty(not like rattling).
I am having the same exact problem. The car is out of warranty and the dealer wants over $15K so I may need to look for alternatives.
Appreciate 1
Schuko3.00
      10-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #25
Schuko
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoM3 View Post
Quote:
On my issue, the vibration came/felt from back side of the car, and slightly noise like something spinning with difficulty(not like rattling).
I am having the same exact problem. The car is out of warranty and the dealer wants over $15K so I may need to look for alternatives.
What is the dealer replacing for 15k
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #26
MarcoM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i, 2015 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuko View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What is the dealer replacing for 15k
The differential, which also requires a new carbon fiber drive shaft.
      10-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #27
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

There's an SIB for M2/3/4 for this exact issue. They replace the diff bushing with an updated one. SIB 33 01 19. I had this done to my M2 and it fixed it. About to have them do my M3.
      10-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #28
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
The differential, which also requires a new carbon fiber drive shaft.
They are just taking stabs at the problem using your bank account..... I would suggest what Imperial328i did first before shelling out 15k

Now if it is a drive shaft issue they should cover the damn thing.... thought there was some sort of recall on it once
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
There's an SIB for M2/3/4 for this exact issue. They replace the diff bushing with an updated one. SIB 33 01 19. I had this done to my M2 and it fixed it. About to have them do my M3.
What were your symptoms? Vibration at what speeds?

Would the car pull strong still? Where could you feel it?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #30
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Quote:

Vibration during hard acceleration particularly in third and above. I could feel it in the seat and the floor most of all.
      10-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #31
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Vibration during hard acceleration particularly in third and above. I could feel it in the seat and the floor most of all.
I have this exact thing, i feel a alot of in the floor. So you replaced the bushing?

And it went away?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #32
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have this exact thing, i feel a alot of in the floor. So you replaced the bushing?

And it went away?
Yessir. Make sure they torque the nut properly. I had a clunking after they did it and they had to retorque.
      10-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #33
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And it went away?
Yessir. Make sure they torque the nut properly. I had a clunking after they did it and they had to retorque.
Would aftermarket bushings have the same effect?

Also what year was your car? Did you pay out of pocket?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #34
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And it went away?

I'm not sure about the aftermarket. Car was a 3/2017 build M2. Did not pay out of pocket.
      10-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And it went away?

I'm not sure about the aftermarket. Car was a 3/2017 build M2. Did not pay out of pocket.
Thank you so much. Helps out alot.

Btw i think the nut retorque is probably equally as important for the vibration.

The driveshaft connecting in relies on that nut to be torqued tightly or you get the wobble and vibration from what i researched.

Cheers buddy
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #36
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Just in case anyone's looking for the SIB, it's here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53752-9999.pdf

I couldn't find it without re-formatting the characters. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to address my issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:12 AM   #37
jh_m4
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Sorry to re-open this issue again.

I have a similar thing I have a vibration in the steering wheel and you also hear a humming noise when you cruising in 7th gear around 100-120km/h but I think thats a resonation noise of my milltek race system, in 6th gear it's less noticable.
When I pull hard from 95 tot 130km/h the vibration in the steering wheel increases a lot.

I already reallign the car, roadforce balanced the wheels, swap an entire different rim set, full steering gear replacement, front spring bearings are replaced, also slightly dented my milltek downpipe because it was rubbing against the subframe, but it didn't work, it's slightly improved the vibration though

What can I do next, I'm thinking about wheel bearings or maybe it is still the downpipe that rubs against the subframe...It's really a pain in the ass. I know the subframe is connected to the steering gear but I have that exhaust for more then over a year now and never noticed that kind of vibration in my steering wheel.

Also noticable when you go downhill it's less vibrating, the vibration under heavy load can be felt by 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gear in 3th gear I don't experience the same because the car accelerates rapidly.

All the help is welcome.

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #38
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_m4 View Post
Sorry to re-open this issue again.

I have a similar thing I have a vibration in the steering wheel and you also hear a humming noise when you cruising in 7th gear around 100-120km/h but I think thats a resonation noise of my milltek race system, in 6th gear it's less noticable.
When I pull hard from 95 tot 130km/h the vibration in the steering wheel increases a lot.

I already reallign the car, roadforce balanced the wheels, swap an entire different rim set, full steering gear replacement, front spring bearings are replaced, also slightly dented my milltek downpipe because it was rubbing against the subframe, but it didn't work, it's slightly improved the vibration though

What can I do next, I'm thinking about wheel bearings or maybe it is still the downpipe that rubs against the subframe...It's really a pain in the ass. I know the subframe is connected to the steering gear but I have that exhaust for more then over a year now and never noticed that kind of vibration in my steering wheel.

Also noticable when you go downhill it's less vibrating, the vibration under heavy load can be felt by 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gear in 3th gear I don't experience the same because the car accelerates rapidly.

All the help is welcome.

Kind regards
Ya so i have had my car torn apart and nothing came of it.

The vibration will peak in cold weather under heavy load. All these signs point to a stiff chassis, wheels, rotors, and other balance issues.

I had perfect balance on driveshaft and everything.

I think it's just the nature of the beast man, my mechanic has driven over 50 of these and he says most of them will exhibit some sort of resonance at different speeds and rpm's.

I know it sucks, i chased this problem down for over a year and wasted my money.

I would stop if i were you, if the car pulls strong and no CEL leave it.
Appreciate 0