R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #705
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

How's the new tranny going to pan out, I'm mean this is my first DCT and I really like the herky jerky tranny in the F series. Is newer one is fast like our current tranny or slower and smooth ( Lexus type tranny ?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #706
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah, good point - the 2021 numbers will be super interesting ... that said the Germans are risk-on China:
Nice find. And there you have it. BMW probably had the design ready and then all this shit was on their dashboard and they said “China it is!”.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #707
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Because Manual. There is ALOT more to a car then it's shifter. Im just saying (IJS)
Seeing this thread and stuff legitimately makes me sad.

In a few years, I don't see myself having a BMW for the first time since I have gotten into the car culture. While my group of friends would probably forgive me for that but the thought of it is a bit depressing.
Yeah. I'll miss some things about BMW for sure. I like the community here at least in the F8x section.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what my next ride will be. Sucks BMW pulled this shit.
Appreciate 3
Arcades8169.50
GrussGott18159.50
      10-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #708
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah. I'll miss some things about BMW for sure. I like the community here at least in the F8x section.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what my next ride will be. Sucks BMW pulled this shit.
I mean... all of my friends I have met are because of BMW. So, I won't be disappearing from BMW entirely just for that reason alone even if I don't have any BMWs left in my own garage. However, it's strange to me just how different of a direction BMW has gone in just a matter of 5-6 years. I am not even that old, I'm under 35. Who the heck are they targeting with this car exactly?

Also just to point out. The reason why the ZF8 in the new Ms are programmed to be jerky are newer people who doesn't understand their tranny stuff nearly as well as we do (look at two posts above you to... kinda prove my point). It isn't their fault of course, not blaming them for anything but I have seen so many people point out they like it being jerky when we all know the ZF is best when... it isn't jerky. It isn't a dual clutch damn it.
paliknight2191.50
Poochie9104.50
      10-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #709
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

I am not even that old, I'm under 35. Who the heck are they targeting with this car exactly?
From what I gather, based on previous interviews, the direction of the new G8X M4 commercials and general pivot in marketing; posterity is the name of the game; as it seems like they are and have always been perpetually courting a younger demographic:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #710
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

BMW, like most automakers, with the exception of maybe Porsche (GT cars), have moved towards appealing to the masses, not the purists. It's all a numbers game, and the masses don't care about DCT vs Auto, or whether a manual is offered. Guaranteed that most M3 buyers think the DCT cars are automatic.

They need the BMW and M badges. Oh and the cars need to be fast, in a straight line, have lots of tech gizmos and put up good performance metrics in magazine reviews. And designs need to be flashy and bold, so that they look good on instagram. Throw in some good lease programs to keep monthly payments as low as possible and you're off to the races. That's about all that matters nowadays and BMW knows it. Guaranteed they will sell every single one they make.
Appreciate 6
Spider.75.50
minn1914024.00
F32Fleet3570.00
ogakul16.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
ra2289305.50
      10-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #711
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
From what I gather, based on previous interviews, the direction of the new G8X M4 commercials and general pivot in marketing; posterity is the name of the game; as it seems like they are and have always been perpetually courting a younger demographic:

Some interesting quotes from Frohlich in that article about the 30% take rate for M235i .... and what I think is a bogus conclusion "from that we know many people will buy an M2"

Strange logic in my opinion. The M235i sold well because the press reviews said that "it was nearly as good as as the full 'M car' for much less money". The reason it sold well was because they could point at a better car that people aspired to own (and many buyers can't tell the difference). This does not mean that you can make an M2/M3/M4 that 30% of these people will buy. If you make the M car at the mass-market price point then it will no longer be the thing that people aspired to own. They may still be happy with their M325i (now badged as an M2) but eventually the brand will stop being special.

In my opinion, there is value for BMW in selling an M3 even at a loss. The value is that this aspirational car, that some enthusiasts are willing to pay the premium for, is a massive marketing tool for selling other models lower in the range... and that's where you make the profit. It's worth making the very best M car you can - because, even if you only sell a few, it drives sales of the other cars.

Another perplexing comment was "people get a taste of BMW at the 3-Series level and will be able to afford to move up to the 5-Series and eventually the 7-Series". This is *insane*! I have no desire to ever "move up" into an expensive land-yacht. I am happy to spend more money ... but I want a better small car. I want to spend my money on performance features, and perhaps a bit of tech/comfort if it doesn't detract - but I don't need to lug around 1000lbs of extra sofas.

Last edited by pbar; 10-30-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 4
SD ///M42992.00
GrussGott18159.50
ra2289305.50
      10-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #712
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Quote:

Some interesting quotes from Frohlich in that article about the 30% take rate for M235i .... and what I think is a bogus conclusion "from that we know many people will buy an M2"

Strange logic in my opinion. The M235i sold well because the press reviews said that "it was nearly as good as as the full 'M car' for much less money". The reason it sold well was because they could point at a better car that people aspired to own (and many buyers can't tell the difference). This does not mean that you can make an M2/M3/M4 that 30% of these people will buy. If you make the M car at the mass-market price point then it will no longer be the thing that people aspired to own. They may still be happy with their M325i (now badged as an M2) but eventually the brand will stop being special.

In my opinion, there is value for BMW in selling an M3 even at a loss. The value is that this aspirational car, that some enthusiasts are willing to pay the premium for, is a massive marketing tool for selling other models lower in the range... and that's where you make the profit. It's worth making the very best M car you can - because, even if you only sell a few, it drives sales of the other cars.

Another perplexing comment was "people get a taste of BMW at the 3-Series level and will be able to afford to move up to the 5-Series and eventually the 7-Series". This is *insane*! I have no desire to ever "move up" into an expensive land-yacht. I am happy to spend more money ... but I want a better small car. I want to spend my money on performance features, and perhaps a bit of tech/comfort if it doesn't detract - but I don't need to lug around 1000lbs of extra sofas.
Most people don't read auto rags and press reviews, so I think your conclusion in that respect is flawed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #713
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Quote:

Every time build an M4, the way I wanted it, it worked up to a MSRP of about $82,000, - give or take.

Cockiness and one's individual pay grade aside, for the average Layman, 82k is hell of a lot of money to spend for means of transportation ..

On a 60 month, 5 year loan, that works out to about $1,400 a month, which is about the size of my mortgage..

The F8X is like BMW's bread-and-butter of the M line-up; they move way more M4s, on average.. You're kidding yourself if you don't believe BMW is not making a healthy profit, on their investment.

I guess the idea behind BMW hip, new and young G8X marketing campaign is an attempt to establish brand loyalty, by targeting potential buyers, at a younger age bracket, during their somewhat impressionable age.

Once the consumer is hook, line, and sinker, unto the brand and its ecosystem, the ability to retain that specific customer, over a longer period of time, increases exponentially. Which then keeps down your future marketing costs and drives profits, to customers who is already sold to the brand.

Increasing a customer retention is more beneficial than spending money attracting new customers. Customer loyalty also fosters a strong sense of trust between your brand and customers.

I'm sure they've crunched the number and studied the metrics to concluded that this form of marketing and boisterous vehicle styling, will pay off dividends, over the longer term..

One would assume.. 🤷🏻
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #714
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post

BMW, like most automakers, ... have moved towards appealing to the masses, not the purists. It's all a numbers game
Maybe, but that's a very tricky game to play with luxury products that have a cool-factor:

If the cool kids move on and/or start dogging the product then the masses leave with them. Panerai found this out the hard way 2000-2010 and so have Gucci among others (not to mention Alpha or Maser in the 80s-90s!)

And that also happens to be the reason why we're having this conversation here in the F8x sub-forum versus in the G8x thread:
Bimmerpost doesn't want noobs and fanbois in the G8x sub-forum to think the cool kids are moving on!

Except we are.
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #715
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe, but that's a very tricky game to play with luxury products that have a cool-factor:

If the cool kids move on and/or start dogging the product then the masses leave with them. Panerai found this out the hard way 2000-2010 and so have Gucci among others (not to mention Alpha or Maser in the 80s-90s!)

And that also happens to be the reason why we're having this conversation here in the F8x sub-forum versus in the G8x thread:
Bimmerpost doesn't want noobs and fanbois in the G8x sub-forum to think the cool kids are moving on!

Except we are.
Not to mention. Most of those "marketing" people BMW pushed this time around, I can guarantee you they won't keep the car past 2-3 years.

One thing BMW seems to forget is that, for most YouTubers/Influencers, it is also a job and they need to keep switching up new things to keep interest going. Once the shock of the G8x crap settles, they will absolutely ditch the car for the next new thing or move into something better and more expensive.

That is how it has ALWAYS been and something BMW seemed to forget. They are ran by corporate people, older generation guys who doesn't always understand how influencers work.

I absolutely promise Joe Achilles will drop that car in a few years even if he got it for free. Mark my words. Whatever the heck BMW is currently doing will backfire because those of us who are loyal to the brand more or less will stop caring. When these influencers drop the car or jump to another bandwagon (which they absolutely will) BMW won't have the loyal customers to fall back on like they used to.

P.S. Look up either Twitter or Instagram. Scroll past the comments and see how many people praise the looks of the G8x compared to the amount of people critizing it. That is what BMW is dealing with now and it is their own doing.
      10-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #716
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
P.S. Look up either Twitter or Instagram. Scroll past the comments and see how many people praise the looks of the G8x compared to the amount of people critizing it. That is what BMW is dealing with now and it is their own doing.
I think it's a consulting-type churn-turn-earn strategy:

* Create the churn:
Custom design your halo product for the market you want (China) even if it alienates your existing markets

* Execute the turn:
Now that you've got a ton of new owners in your new market, pivot back to your old market with your next product designed mostly for them

* Earn:
Most of the old customers you lost will come back, most of the new customers will stay, and now you've got 2 huge growing markets instead of one.

BMW is selling investors on what I'd call an "also electric" strategy, i.e. their revenue growth will come from China with XEVs being an also-that:

ICE, BEV, MHEV, PHEV, whatever

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-30-2020 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
MFNATIK3498.00
F32Fleet3570.00
      10-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #717
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's a consulting-type churn-turn-earn strategy:

* Create the churn:
Custom design your halo product for the market you want (China) even if it alienates your existing markets

* Execute the turn:
Now that you've got a ton of new owners in your new market, pivot back to your old market with your next product designed mostly for them

* Earn:
Most of the old customers you lost will come back, most of the new customers will stay, and now you've 2 huge growing markets instead of one.

BMW is selling investors on what I'd call an "also electric" strategy, i.e. their revenue growth will come from China with XEVs being an also-that:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

ICE, BEV, MHEV, PHEV, whatever
Well... that is what Toyota is doing so...

We Toyota now! (Don't ban me, it's a joke.)
F32Fleet3570.00
      10-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #718
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post

BMW, like most automakers, ... have moved towards appealing to the masses, not the purists. It's all a numbers game

Except we are.
Everyone except Sedan Clan

He loves that shit
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18159.50
stein_325i25083.00
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-31-2020, 01:10 AM   #719
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Everyone except Sedan Clan

He loves that shit
Hey, if you can't get beaver one way, you get it another

Appreciate 7
stein_325i25083.00
Sedan_Clan25040.00
Arcades8169.50
PhatLyfe985.00
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-31-2020, 02:17 AM   #720
yk36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition GC

M3/4 now a 4000 pound pig with an 8 speed auto is the definition of BMW M trying to appeal to the masses instead of purists. Only thing that ugly pig will be good for is straight line performance.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #721
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Saw the new 4 series yesterday.
While the grill is quite massive... the darker paint helped it blend in.
Honestly wasn’t as bad as it looks from photos but also some angles we’re definitely better than others. I’m sure it’ll grow on some but will always be a point of contention with most.

It looks to have the same slat technology behind the grill that exists on my X7
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:42 PM   #722
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Thought you guys would appreciate this. My son sent me this when he went to the dealer.
Attached Images

minn1914024.00
Mavus2027.50
GrussGott18159.50
Arcades8169.50
MFNATIK3498.00
SD ///M42992.00
      10-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #723
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Thought you guys would appreciate this. My son sent me this when he went to the dealer.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
GrussGott18159.50
      10-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #724
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Gold!

I saw the new 4 series in person at a local BMW dealer yesterday...its worse in person.

What an absolute tragedy.
Appreciate 6
stein_325i25083.00
GrussGott18159.50
Mavus2027.50
MFNATIK3498.00
      10-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #725
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #726
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Too bad we can't the G22/G82 around for Halloween, be the scariest thing some of us would see, like straight out of "Christine".