Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
BeachieM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Silverstone M3/CCB

Recently lowered 2015 M3 with Macht Schnell springs and had the dealership do the alignment after they settled. Now I'm getting bouncing, juddering when applying moderate constant braking from about 80 mph. No issues at lower speeds. Shop foreman rode with me today and said he thinks it's a warped rotor. They measured both fronts and found .09 mm variation on the left and .03 on the right. Only suggestion is to contact BMW NA about good will pricing on a new rotor replacement. They checked the alignment and said it's all good and everything is tightened down. Has anyone else experienced this with these brakes? Supposed to last the life of the car and I haven't tracked it. Bought at 24k miles and now over 60k. It just seems pretty suspicious that I didn't have any problem like this until I lowered it and had an alignment. I know some have had clunking issues when these MS springs were installed upside down. Not sure if that's the case here. Suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

That's a BS diagnosis on the rotors. CCB rotors don't warp.

I'd ask another shop to check everything with your suspension mods and alignment.

Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      02-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
That's a BS diagnosis on the rotors. CCB rotors don't warp.

I'd ask another shop to check everything with your suspension mods and alignment.
Thanks for the input. Do those brake measurements look like they're within normal tolerances? The sheet says that .03 is the max. I'm really rooting for a solution that does not involve replacing a rotor. Seems improbable me that this just happened to start when lowering and aligning.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachieM3 View Post
Thanks for the input. Do those brake measurements look like they're within normal tolerances? The sheet says that .03 is the max. I'm really rooting for a solution that does not involve replacing a rotor. Seems improbable me that this just happened to start when lowering and aligning.
CCB discs are weighed to evaluate wear, not measured. The visual indicators are another wear reference point.

CCB rotors are put through hell and don't "warp." I smoked the indicators but still flawless performance, no judder. You didn't warp them.

Somehow damage, like with a debris impact? Unlikely, but maybe. Have you visually inspected all of them?

Warped rotors are like a catchall for we don't know what's going on, but we'd like you to spend major money trying to find out. Or, we know what's going on and it's a simple, economical fix. Too simple and economical.

Something else going on. Very unlikely this is coincidental with your other mods. Have access to a good indy shop?

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      02-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #5
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
CCB discs are weighed to evaluate wear, not measured. The visual indicators are another wear reference point.

CCB rotors are put through hell and don't "warp." I smoked the indicators but still flawless performance, no judder. You didn't warp them.

Somehow damage, like with a debris impact? Unlikely, but maybe. Have you visually inspected all of them?

Warped rotors are like a catchall for we don't know what's going on, but we'd like you to spend major money trying to find out. Or, we know what's going on and it's a simple, economical fix. Too simple and economical.

Something else going on. Very unlikely this is coincidental with your other mods. Have access to a good indy shop?

I do have a couple of places I can take this to get it checked out. I also emailed BMW North America about it and it will be interesting to hear what their genius department has to say as to whether they are warped and what they think about those measurements. There's always so much going on on the surface of these I'm not sure if what I'm seeing on this front left rotor is OK or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #6
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do have a couple of places I can take this to get it checked out. I also emailed BMW North America about it and it will be interesting to hear what their genius department has to say as to whether they are warped and what they think about those measurements. There's always so much going on on the surface of these I'm not sure if what I'm seeing on this front left rotor is OK or not.
Based upon your rotor wear indicator in only that one picture, your rotors appear roasted/worn, seemingly very worn. It appears you have pad material on your rotor surface. How many track days are on them?
      02-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those indicators are showing wear. The discs need to be weighed. Min weight is printed --

You're out of SC. Believe most or all BMW performance driving school F8X were equipped with CCB. Did you get one of those?

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

VIN history showed it started its life at BMW NA in Jersey or at least that's what I think happened. Possible it started life as a track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VIN history showed it started its life at BMW NA in Jersey or at least that's what I think happened. Possible it started life as a track car.
Yes it did. That changes things. Possible that discs are underweight and toast.

Still awfully coincidental that it developed alongside suspension mods.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes it did. That changes things. Possible that discs are underweight and toast.

Still awfully coincidental that it developed alongside suspension mods.
I'm afraid that's true. I'm going to start with having a tire and brake guy check the balance and confirm again everything is tightened down. If that doesn't work I'm going back to my friend who installed the springs and see if maybe it's upside down as some have reported. If mine of that works I'll either have to love with it a while or start looking for a used set of rotors or maybe the whole kit. I appreciate your input very much. If something develops I'll come back and update for the record.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      02-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm afraid that's true. I'm going to start with having a tire and brake guy check the balance and confirm again everything is tightened down. If that doesn't work I'm going back to my friend who installed the springs and see if maybe it's upside down as some have reported. If mine of that works I'll either have to love with it a while or start looking for a used set of rotors or maybe the whole kit. I appreciate your input very much. If something develops I'll come back and update for the record.
Fingers crossed for you. If it does come back to discs, I'd strongly consider a ccb to iron swap. 2015, 60k miles, new ccb not worth it I don't think.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 06:21 AM   #12
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fingers crossed for you. If it does come back to discs, I'd strongly consider a ccb to iron swap. 2015, 60k miles, new ccb not worth it I don't think.
Figured it out! My friend who installed the springs got it up on his lift last night and finally determined there was play in the ball joint on the front right lower control arm that isn't present on the left side. Now to order the part and get it installed. Much better than a $4,000 CCB rotor replacement!! I wish the dealership could have figured that out. I wonder if lowering it caused this failure or maybe just accentuated it.

Also should I go with OEM which is solid and not adjustable or one of the adjustable "upgraded" lower control arms. One on the left looks and feels fine so I'm thinking I'll go OEM. One shop gave up on an alignment for me and I think it was because of the lack of adjustability in the front. Dealership seemed to have no issues with the alignment.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      02-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #13
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

Replaced front right lower control arm and that solved the vibration when braking from 80-60mph! Much cheaper by far than replacing a CC rotor!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
irunalot1518.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
      04-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #14
jleach
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i xDrive

Quote:
Replaced front right lower control arm and that solved the vibration when braking from 80-60mph! Much cheaper by far than replacing a CC rotor!
so your control arm was the issue? and you only had vibrations at higher speed while braking?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #15
BeachieM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleach View Post
Quote:
so your control arm was the issue? and you only had vibrations at higher speed while braking?
Sorry I never saw that question. Correct. The new control arm solved the vibration that only came from higher speed braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #16
denim_f80
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, E82 1M, F10 M5

From what I know with the CCB brakes (esp on M cars and Porsches) they do not warp as they can handle/deal with higher temps compared to the steel brakes. My car has steel brakes and I do track the car from time to time, they did end up warping. Hence this is why I'm about to install some CCB's
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #17
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denim_f80 View Post
From what I know with the CCB brakes (esp on M cars and Porsches) they do not warp as they can handle/deal with higher temps compared to the steel brakes. My car has steel brakes and I do track the car from time to time, they did end up warping. Hence this is why I'm about to install some CCB's
It's most likely your steel rotors did not warp but developed pad deposits

Be careful with tracking the BMW CCB's. They're great performers, but the rotors will show signs of wear with tracking.

Appreciate 0