ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #23
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

I went back and installed studs and the 3mm spacers with the chamfered side facing out (faced in last time). Torqued down the lug nuts while the tires were in the air and I think it's fine now. Fastest I went was 80 and it was smooth but won't know for sure until I go back in time @88MPH.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #24
CCUSACKM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M3, 84 Porsche 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Unfortunately, I have A LOT of experience with your issue, so listen closely.

I installed spacers, both BMS and Macht Schnell, used and new, in 12, 15 and 18 mm sizes.
I installed these spacers on three different sets of wheels: OEM 513s, OEM 666s and OEM 763s.
I did EVERYTHING everyone here mentioned. I cleaned the hub as well as the inside surface of the rims perfectly. I installed the lugs in the star position. I tried every which way and STILL was getting the dreaded vibration between 80-90mph.

It was driving me nuts, because these cars are super sensitive to them.

I finally came across a fix off the forums, where someone mentioned that if you put the spacer on the wheel hub or on the wheel and you feel any play between the spacer and either one of those, you may get vibration irrespective of how you install.

So, what I started doing is, I wrap teflon tape on the hub lip, and I wrap teflon tape on the spacer lip. The spacer then fits really snug on the hub and the wheel fits really snug on the spacer. Sometimes I even have to hit the spacer with a mallet to get it fully on the hub because the fit is so tight. No more vibration!! Try this and report back.

So just to clarify, You are saying you put teflon tape on the lip of the hub and the spacer lip like almost taping them together for a clean contact surface?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #25
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUSACKM3 View Post
Quote:

I installed spacers, both BMS and Macht Schnell, used and new, in 12, 15 and 18 mm sizes.
I installed these spacers on three different sets of wheels: OEM 513s, OEM 666s and OEM 763s.
I did EVERYTHING everyone here mentioned. I cleaned the hub as well as the inside surface of the rims perfectly. I installed the lugs in the star position. I tried every which way and STILL was getting the dreaded vibration between 80-90mph.

I finally came across a fix off the forums, where someone mentioned that if you put the spacer on the wheel hub or on the wheel and you feel any play between the spacer and either one of those, you may get vibration irrespective of how you install.

So, what I started doing is, I wrap teflon tape on the hub lip, and I wrap teflon tape on the spacer lip. The spacer then fits really snug on the hub and the wheel fits really snug on the spacer. Sometimes I even have to hit the spacer with a mallet to get it fully on the hub because the fit is so tight. No more vibration!! Try this and report back.

So just to clarify, You are saying you put teflon tape on the lip of the hub and the spacer lip like almost taping them together for a clean contact surface?
Teflon tape on the "circular" lip of the hub where the spacer mounts on to, and teflon tape on the circular lip of the spacer where the wheel mounts on to.
That way, there is no play between spacer and hub, and no play between wheel and spacer.

I marked up two of EAS' photos to make sure you understand me properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #26
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:

This is my experience as well, it doesn't matter what spacer or wheel, if there is any play at all between the spacer and the hub you will get vibrations. My front spacers seem to fit fine but I can rotate them on the hub with a little bit of force while my rears are very snug. If you can get them to fit snug and not rotate you should not get any vibration.
      11-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #27
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

CCUSACKM3 - Did you try the Teflon tape? Any luck? Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #28
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Updating my own saga as I couldn't get them to not vibrate so I just took them off. I didn't try Teflon tape but if I get around to it I may just do that. If I were to do that it would only be on the hub side as there is no lip with that small of a spacer (3mm H&R).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #29
CCUSACKM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M3, 84 Porsche 944

Quote:
CCUSACKM3 - Did you try the Teflon tape? Any luck? Keep us posted.
I did not try the teflon tape because it was discovered that my front 666m wheel had a slight bend in it and that was not noticeable pre spacers. We re-tightened the spacers again and balanced the wheel temporarily until I get a replacement. Vibration is now completely gone.
Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      11-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #30
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

had this exact issue when i first installed 10/12mm MS spacers on stock suspension. wheel vibrating at ~80+ mph. however when i installed my eibach springs the vibration went away. so maybe they just werent installed properly the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:18 PM   #31
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

10mm front, 5mm rear on mine, purchased from iND. Zero vibrations, wouldn't even know they were on the car if hadn't installed them. Good luck to those with issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #32
denim_f80
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, E82 1M, F10 M5

On a side note, make sure you also get some extended studs when running spacers on ur car. Makes it night and day when taking off wheels and also for safety.
Appreciate 0