European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

Oil temperature keeps getting cooler (UPDATE!)

UPDATE: Scroll down a few posts and you will see a long post.

For some reason the average running temperature is much lower than my previous 2015 M4 (non ZCP). I just got a 2018 ZCP and it's running much cooler even when it's fully warmed up (50 min of driving and over 50 miles). I've tried Efficient and Sport mode and I've also tried driving it hard but it doesn't change anything.

Please see the picture. The white arrow is where it is at when I'm driving and it's fully warmed up. The red line is where it is at when I come to a stop and I'm idling at a red light fully warmed up. The green arrow is where my 2015 used to be when it was fully warmed up (driving and idling).

I'm at the dealership and they're telling me it's no big deal since it's not overheating. There's got to be something wrong. What's wrong with it?

Last edited by Walmart Parking Lot; 08-06-2020 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

My 2018 ZCP is at the green line (220°F) for efficient and sport, and will drop to ~205°F after about 15 mins in Sports Plus (right in the middle of the two unlabeled tick marks)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmnelson12 View Post
My 2018 ZCP is at the green line (220°F) for efficient and sport, and will drop to ~205°F after about 15 mins in Sports Plus (right in the middle of the two unlabeled tick marks)
You are correct. It should be like that but mine isn't for some reason. I drove around 50 min, 50 miles on the freeway (no stopping) and it kept getting colder and colder. The temp was at around 160-170. Right when I got off the freeway, the temp went up to where the red line is at in the picture.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walmart Parking Lot View Post
Quote:
You are correct. It should be like that but mine isn't for some reason. I drove around 50 min, 50 miles on the freeway (no stopping) and it kept getting colder and colder. The temp was at around 160-170. Right when I got off the freeway, the temp went up to where the red line is at in the picture.
Quote:
Quote:
What is your oil level at? And when was your last change; the amount may be affecting the cooling properties. However oil in these cars needs to be at least 180°F to maintain the correct viscosity to run efficiently
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is your oil level at? And when was your last change; the amount may be affecting the cooling properties. However oil in these cars needs to be at least 180°F to maintain the correct viscosity to run efficiently
Not sure what the oil level is at right now, it's at the dealership. The last change was at the dealership, around 1k miles and 1 month ago. Thank you for that information, some BMW tech's have been telling me that it's not a problem and that they wish they had this "problem" lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what the oil level is at right now, it's at the dealership. The last change was at the dealership, around 1k miles and 1 month ago. Thank you for that information, some BMW tech's have been telling me that it's not a problem and that they wish they had this "problem" lol.
Quote:
Quote:
I would ask for an oil change
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I requested that from the BMW tech. Just waiting to see what he says. In the mean time, how would the (possibly bad) oil affect the temp though?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I requested that from the BMW tech. Just waiting to see what he says. In the mean time, how would the (possibly bad) oil affect the temp though?
Quote:
Quote:
Either not enough or too much, never heard of bad oil but it could not be heating up enough and getting to the right viscosity, all in the name of variables to be eliminated
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Either not enough or too much, never heard of bad oil but it could not be heating up enough and getting to the right viscosity, all in the name of variables to be eliminated
Cool, I'll request that from them. Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #10
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool, I'll request that from them. Thank you for your help!
Any update? What did they say
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Any chance there's a Mosselman 85C oil thermostat installed? Since it's a Comp Pack maybe someone wanted things running cooler for the track.
https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/msl-thermostat-s55

Also check your large coolant tank to see if the fluid is pink. Could be someone used only WaterWetter+H2O for extra cooling (but this doesn't have the corrosion inhibitor our car needs).
      07-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #12
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

That is definitely a little weird. I had a 2016 ZCP and now a 2018 ZCP and both were at the green arrow as indicated when fully warmed up in sport+ mode.

If it's not getting to the right temperature/viscosity, is it doing any harm if you drive it hard?
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are replacing the oil temp sensors. Next they're going to try the oil thermostat. My guess is that the oil thermostat is stuck open, which is causing the oil to cool as I'm driving and the oil to heat up as I'm idled, since the airflow causes the oil to cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Any chance there's a Mosselman 85C oil thermostat installed? Since it's a Comp Pack maybe someone wanted things running cooler for the track.

Also check your large coolant tank to see if the fluid is pink. Could be someone used only WaterWetter+H2O for extra cooling (but this doesn't have the corrosion inhibitor our car needs).
I told my tech to check. I'm 99% sure there is not. The car hasn't been modified in any way.

Regarding the coolant, it's blue
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #14
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
That is definitely a little weird. I had a 2016 ZCP and now a 2018 ZCP and both were at the green arrow as indicated when fully warmed up in sport+ mode.

If it's not getting to the right temperature/viscosity, is it doing any harm if you drive it hard?
Yes there's definitely something wrong.

That's a good question, I hope it's not doing any damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #15
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They are replacing the oil temp sensors. Next they're going to try the oil thermostat. My guess is that the oil thermostat is stuck open, which is causing the oil to cool as I'm driving and the oil to heat up as I'm idled, since the airflow causes the oil to cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

I told my tech to check. I'm 99% sure there is not. The car hasn't been modified in any way.

Regarding the coolant, it's blue
Bingo, i bet thats it
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #16
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bingo, i bet thats it
I think that's what the oil thermostat TopJimmy mentioned does, except my stock one is probably stuck open. I'll keep everyone updated. They'll have the car over the weekend which sucks but it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #17
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #18
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any update?
Yes, sorry forgot to update.

After almost exactly two weeks in the dealership, it was the oil thermostat. I told them the day I brought it in that I was 99.9% sure that was it. I spoke to other independent shops and others on a large M3/M4 Facebook group and they were saying it's the oil thermostat. I took it to another dealership before this dealership I went to and they test drove a F80 and it was normal. They said there was a discrepancy and they think it's the oil thermostat. The only reason why I didn't go to the first dealership was because both didn't have loaner cars so I went to the second one which was closest to my house.

So anways... instead of changing the oil thermostat, they proceeded to change everything but that. They changed the oil sensor, map (coolant) thermostat, and coolant sensor.

After the 3rd "fix" they tried and over one week in, they kept delaying it saying they had to contact BMW North America for more assistance. I told them several times it's the oil thermostat and I got ignored. I texted them and asked the reason why they won't replace the oil thermostat. They dodged the question completely.

1.5 weeks in already, all I got was "we're working on it" and "sorry for taking so long". Oh, and I didn't even have a loaner car because they were out. I was on the waiting list. When I was #4 on the waiting list, it only took around a day for me to be #1 on the waiting list (I called and asked them). But when I was #1 on the waiting list, it took for 4 days because I called them and asked why I was #1 on the wait list for that long. They finally "figured something else out" so I could get loaner car. Sure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on the loaner car issue.

I contacted BMW NA and filed a complaint, not with the loaner car issue but with them changing parts that weren't related to the problem (keep reading and you'll see). Later that day, I went into the dealership, requested to speak to the foreman. Questioned him on all the "fixes" he tried to do which didn't make sense at all.

Here's why:
- oil sensor: why would you replace the oil sensor if the oil temperature measuring the same temp as a 3rd party tool they used (infrared heat gun or whatever they called it)
- map (coolant) thermostat: why would you replace the coolant thermostat if the coolant temperatures are normal (even they said it was normal)
- coolant sensor: WHY?!
- software: I don't believe they did anything with the software but they tried telling me several times it's probably software. Hmm... they test drove several cars (at least one that's the same year and model as mine) but all the other ones were normal.

I told him I thought it was the oil thermostat. His reply something along the lines of him not even thinking of that. He said it was a good thing I brought it up. Lmao I brought it up on the first day. He said he would have to reach out to BMW NA tech support for the next steps before he could do the oil thermostat.

I told him I filed a complaint to BMW NA already and I proceeded to get his name and write everything down. Right as I left the dealership and he comes out and gets my attention and says it was a good thing I brought it up and that he was going to try to replace the oil thermostat. He said he ordered the part and at the same time he was going to talk to BMW NA tech support as well as inspect and keep an eye on "everything" such as the radiator, coolants, and other stuff.

Two days later the part comes in. They install it within an hour or two. I get a call saying that it's fixed. The foreman calls me and apologizes that it took so long.

Here's what I think happened: trying to milk BMW for warranty hours and money.

I HIGHLY suggest NOT going to that dealership for whatever reason. It's in Orange County, CA. PM me for the name of the dealership.

Last edited by Walmart Parking Lot; 08-06-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 4
      08-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #19
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Wow, no doubt milking it. Even a youtube certified ASE mechanic would have started with the thermostat. Sorry your car was down so long but at least you got some new parts!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #20
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Wow, no doubt milking it. Even a youtube certified ASE mechanic would have started with the thermostat. Sorry your car was down so long but at least you got some new parts!
Thank you for reading. You're exactly right, I forgot to mention that all the independent shops I contacted as well as others on a F8X Facebook group said it was the oil thermostat. I hope BMW sees this.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #21
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

@Walmart Parking Lot Sorry to hear it drug on so long, but it's fixed. Thanks for telling us about the shady dealership!
      06-20-2022, 01:28 AM   #22
ThickM3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Thank you for reading. You're exactly right, I forgot to mention that all the independent shops I contacted as well as others on a F8X Facebook group said it was the oil thermostat. I hope BMW sees this.
So it was the thermostat and not the oil temperature sensor? My f80 m3 literally stays on 160 degrees all the way left of gauge all the time it's annoying. I can't even measure my oil sometimes due to it
Appreciate 0