Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Anyone putting mileage on their GTS?

I've found a few threads with people posting mileage and talking about daily driving this car in 2017-2018, but I'm curious how things are a year later. AFAIK there's been the general driveshaft recall, and then some warranty replacements of front knuckles, but otherwise nothing systemic to the platform around mileage? Any weird mechanical quirks?

Would also like to hear from people who put city miles on the car. Sounds like in the street spring height setting + removing/replacing the front splitter and you're set to romp on city streets. My yearly mileage in my 135i breaks up something like 3-5k city commute miles, 2-3k highway road-trip miles, and 1-3k track miles, with 7-10k miles in my X5 driving/towing. I suspect I'll be putting some abnormally high miles on a GTS.

Context: I own a '08 135i, and I'm looking to upgrade after ~5 years of ownership. I was considering a MY2020 M2C, went to the dealer to talk pricing, sat in their M4CS, and fell in love with the styling and technical design. Read about the M4GTS, and chuckled at the depreciation. Now I'm shopping for a AW M4GTS.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've covered a couple thousand highway + street miles in the past year.

How are the roads in and around Boulder? This determines daily use friendliness, imo. You can relax the dampers, keep in street setting, slap on the fall line splitter, etc. but if your roads are crap, it's not going to be a rewarding experience.

It's also worth considering that the car isn't at its best in "GT" mode either, which calls into question the point vs. a CS.

But I wouldn't hesitate to daily drive mine in Florida, for example. It would be a hilariously entertaining daily driver. In my neck of the woods, no way.

As far as reliability/durability, I know of no issues related to mileage. Grab one soon, prioritize late in service date, and you'll have plenty of warranty time & miles to find out. My factory warranty stretches into '21.

Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      06-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

My local roads are in decent shape, the canyons on the weekend are in great shape and my daily ~3 mile commute features a single sunken manhole cover that I could avoid in my sleep. I'm not too worried about the shock settings, my STI has some ungodly stiff coilovers with the shocks adjusted on my local track and I never reset them for the street.

My greatest concern is around clearance of things like speedbumps and parking deck ramps. I'll have to measure the clearances with the various spring perch settings, and definitely save the CF splitter for the track/car shows.

I'll most likely extend the factory warranty through BMW, been talking with a local CA about rates on top of getting service info on some of the cars I'm eyeballing. There's ~10 cars of interest with under 2,000 miles, with several of them having been listed for 100+ days. I do like that with the GTS I don't have to decode each VIN, they're all identical in options minus the CF wheel option.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yep, they all came in race car spec... Makes shopping easier.

If you can count the road imperfections, then you're in GTS daily driver territory.

Clearance at the front in track ride height is between 2-3" I think. Clears pretty much nothing. Can grab a measurement later if that would be helpful.

I installed this straightaway. Equally functional and protection against hazards, no matter your ride height https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1367418 Remember the upper section is carbon fiber.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the link, bookmarked. The acid orange version looks close enough to the factory component that my eyeballs can't tell the difference. Sounds like once I have a car in the garage I'll have to make the call on ride height. I think my 135i has ~4" of ground clearance on it's front lip, that'll be a big change. Guess I'll have to drive around town late at night and just check clearances to start
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I went cheap and unpainted. Nighttime tape measurements around town is standard pre-GTS delivery behavior.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Thanks for the link, bookmarked. The acid orange version looks close enough to the factory component that my eyeballs can't tell the difference. Sounds like once I have a car in the garage I'll have to make the call on ride height. I think my 135i has ~4" of ground clearance on it's front lip, that'll be a big change. Guess I'll have to drive around town late at night and just check clearances to start
It certainly teaches you to have a pre determined flight plan as you go in and out of different driveways and parking lots. I don't see a point in driving around the city at a track height other than the look, but otherwise the right angle at entrance helps save the front splitter.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
I went cheap and unpainted. Nighttime tape measurements around town is standard pre-GTS delivery behavior.
I love the acid orange, my girlfriend hates it. We'll see who wins on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
It certainly teaches you to have a pre determined flight plan as you go in and out of different driveways and parking lots. I don't see a point in driving around the city at a track height other than the look, but otherwise the right angle at entrance helps save the front splitter.
I'm pretty familiar with the routine of taking speed bumps/humps at an angle, and not compressing the suspension going down a ramp. Depending on how the splitter is mounted to the chassis, smashing the HDPE splitter into a thing or two won't be the end of the world. I'm sure the car will end up at street height 90% of the time, and adjust the collars when swapping wheels and rotors/pads for track use.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty familiar with the routine of taking speed bumps/humps at an angle, and not compressing the suspension going down a ramp. Depending on how the splitter is mounted to the chassis, smashing the HDPE splitter into a thing or two won't be the end of the world. I'm sure the car will end up at street height 90% of the time, and adjust the collars when swapping wheels and rotors/pads for track use.
... and it sounds like the M4 CCBs are a 400mm disc, that's a massive disc. Think I have some reading to do on CCBs, sounds like swapping to a smaller iron 2-piece might be in my future and just swap pads for street/track use.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sport Evo/JP M3/M4 GTS

Almost @ 1600 miles since January - all street driving for now. No issues. Now that summer is here and POF installed, expect to be adding more miles
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #11
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Is this thread about who has the highest mileage? I just hit 12000 and I'm sure I don't have the most...
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #12
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

I have an extra fall line splitter painted acid orange that I never mounted for everyone putting big miles on their car. I daily drove mine for 6k miles before I sold it and loved every second of it. Easily as usable as my F80 M3 if you discount the rear seats. I could get my golf clubs in the trunk and still dust most anything on the way to the course. It's a riot of a car and still gets 20 MPG if you're freeway driving at normal speeds.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
kupcake
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Jahre 50, e92 M3

I have about 5k miles on mine, here in Evergreen,Co. It's AW, in case you're wanting to see one up close, look at clearances, etc. Glad you can chuckle at the depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
Almost @ 1600 miles since January - all street driving for now. No issues. Now that summer is here and POF installed, expect to be adding more miles
Looks like you've got a frozen grey that you're putting XPEL Stealth on. I look forward to your photos. I was initially considering just AW, but FG is definitely growing on me the more I look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Is this thread about who has the highest mileage? I just hit 12000 and I'm sure I don't have the most...
Heh, was more just me curious about people putting miles on their car and their experience in doing so. Like I said in the OP, I'm planning on 6-10k miles/year for 3-5 years, and I was curious if anyone hit anything weird during their ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
I have an extra fall line splitter painted acid orange that I never mounted for everyone putting big miles on their car. I daily drove mine for 6k miles before I sold it and loved every second of it. Easily as usable as my F80 M3 if you discount the rear seats. I could get my golf clubs in the trunk and still dust most anything on the way to the course. It's a riot of a car and still gets 20 MPG if you're freeway driving at normal speeds.
Good thing I currently don't use my rear seats, and don't see myself needing them. Think the only behavior change will be taking the X5 to pick stuff up from Home Depot, I tend to just lower the rear seats in the 135i and chuck stuff in their.. like bags of mulch and other yard related things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupcake View Post
I have about 5k miles on mine, here in Evergreen,Co. It's AW, in case you're wanting to see one up close, look at clearances, etc. Glad you can chuckle at the depreciation.
I might take you up on that, depending on how the next week or two goes. I've reached out to 3 dealerships right now, and I'm kind of expecting that I'll be taking a road trip/flight in the next week or two.

edit: and yes, chuckling at how much they've depreciated, and also cringing a bit with the expectation that I'll lose another 20-40k over 3-5 years of ownership. Oh well, I suspect I'll get some serious smiles per dollar out of this thing.

Last edited by Gomeler; 06-22-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #15
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 2012, M4 GTS Sold

25,000 miles. Daily driver. Too addictive not to drive. If am going to loose on the depreciation I am going to enjoy it to the MAX. When it and if I sell it, it will go at a price that I and the new owner will be happy with. I promise, I will have had so much more fun than 99% of you. I can not imagine not driving it daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #16
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksM View Post
25,000 miles. Daily driver. Too addictive not to drive. If am going to loose on the depreciation I am going to enjoy it to the MAX. When it and if I sell it, it will go at a price that I and the new owner will be happy with. I promise, I will have had so much more fun than 99% of you. I can not imagine not driving it daily.
Any issues within the 25k Miles ??
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
Justinyez
Rep
Drives: M4gts

I have like 27k miles on my gts
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #18
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3

im at 18k, no mechanical issues, knock on wood
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #19
16m4gts
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

At almost 14k. Daily driving the crap out of it. Replaced driveshaft under recall and replaced water injection under warranty. Too much fun to let it sit in the garage.
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00