R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Car damaged in transit - questions

Car was damaged during redelivery after ED. Gouge on bottom right of front bumper and broken plastic part that looks to be part of radiator air ducts (I haven't seen it). Dealer promises to make "good as new" and I am confident they will, but any suggestions or questions I should be asking?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

damage in transport is unfortunately very common, I wouldn't worry about it, very rare you would get pics of the damage but since you did, just take a look when you take delivery and if there is anything that doesn't meet your standards bring it up to your dealer before you leave the lot.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
drexplode1779.00
      06-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Joyride?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
theriz405.50
dr.mba275.00
PhatLyfe984.00
      06-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Joyride?
There are things you don't want to know.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

It should be fine.

Worse things have been repaired at the port/dealer and the new owners are none the wiser.
z335is354.00
      06-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
That black plastic part that is cracked and has a piece missing is a $30 part that is easily replaced. (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/)

Its the paint and the bumper damage that you should worry about.... but given the location of the scratch, I think your eyes would never get close enough to that area to notice a respray. I think you'll be OK.
Appreciate 1
iatacs19458.50
      06-23-2017, 12:41 AM   #7
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
There are things you don't want to know.
Yeah, I know. Was too easy...

I feel for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm sure they will fix it good as new. Like others have said, damage at the port is extremely common, you'd be shocked at how many bumpers get resprayed post-build.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

The entire bumper will need to be resprayed. You can't just spot fix the damaged area. It will not blend properly. They will need to sand the bumper down. Bondo the damaged area. Prime. Paint. Clearcoat. Bake (to help cure the paint and clear faster). It's about a 3-4 day fix.

Speaking from experience when I scuffed my bumper in the exact same spot and had to get it repaired.

Another thing to note, they may just order a brand new pre-painted bumper. They do this if the cost to repair ends up being more than just getting a replacement bumper that's already painted from the factory.

Last edited by FirstF80InSpace; 07-10-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Did they not fix it at the port?
If it's already at the dealer then I would avoid the respray, it doesn't look too bad. Just get the broken pieces replaced.
      07-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Joyride?
^ this!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
The entire bumper will need to be resprayed. You can't just spot fix the damaged area. It will not blend properly. They will need to sand the bumper down. Bondo the damaged area. Prime. Paint. Clearcoat. Bake (to help cure the paint and clear faster). It's about a 3-4 day fix.

Speaking from experience when I scuffed my bumper in the exact same spot and had to get it repaired.

Another thing to note, they may just order a brand new pre-painted bumper. They do this if the cost to repair ends up being more than just getting a replacement bumper that's already painted from the factory.
Bumping old thread - I'm in a similar boat with my ED car, which had minor paint damage hidden behind the front ED plate, which was found when I dropped it off to the PPF installer for full PPF wrap (XPEL Ultimate).

My understanding is that there are no longer any pre-painted bumpers that come from the factory, and that even if I was granted a new OEM bumper, it'd have to be painted by the shop my dealer uses often... anyone else with insight into this?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1671013

Link to my thread in the F87 M2 section which includes pictures of the damage.

The dealer currently wants me to bring it to them to have them do what i believe is a spot blend/repair on the front bumper, including zero blending into the other panels of the car (I explicitly told them I will not allow there to be any painting of other panels of the car).

What are your guys thoughts on what would be reasonable/expected to remedy this situation, and how good would you expect the finished product to look for the various options?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #13
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Bumping old thread - I'm in a similar boat with my ED car, which had minor paint damage hidden behind the front ED plate, which was found when I dropped it off to the PPF installer for full PPF wrap (XPEL Ultimate).

My understanding is that there are no longer any pre-painted bumpers that come from the factory, and that even if I was granted a new OEM bumper, it'd have to be painted by the shop my dealer uses often... anyone else with insight into this?

The dealer currently wants me to bring it to them to have them do what i believe is a spot blend/repair on the front bumper, including zero blending into the other panels of the car (I explicitly told them I will not allow there to be any painting of other panels of the car).

What are your guys thoughts on what would be reasonable/expected to remedy this situation, and how good would you expect the finished product to look for the various options?
I expect nothing but perfection. The good thing is that the dealer is accepting responsibility and accountability. TBH, I would just get a new bumper, ask them to not drill holes for the license plate and paint it the best they can. If it's off, ask them kindly to do it again or ask if you can take it to another shop that you trust. It's a good thing your car isn't white since that is pretty hard to match.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post

they will spot paint the affected area, and then clear the whole bumper. They WILL NOT paint the whole bumper. If they did, the color will be off. Picture the middle bar being painted and feathered out, and then the WHOLE bumper gets clearcoated. You will never see a difference in the bumper to fender color, it will remain the same color difference as it is now. This is the right way to fix a small portion of damaged painted parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #15
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
they will spot paint the affected area, and then clear the whole bumper. They WILL NOT paint the whole bumper. If they did, the color will be off. Picture the middle bar being painted and feathered out, and then the WHOLE bumper gets clearcoated. You will never see a difference in the bumper to fender color, it will remain the same color difference as it is now. This is the right way to fix a small portion of damaged painted parts.
Thanks for the reply - this is what I'm thinking the dealer is anticipating as the resolution, though he didn't say anything about clearing the entire bumper, but it makes sense that this is what should happen and probably what they were thinking - will clarify prior to the work being done if I go this route. We got a good bit of snow in in my area over the last 2 days, and the car won't be leaving the garage until it's dried up and salt has mostly washed away - looks like next week should be better weather and might be time to take it in.

Would you imagine they are doing the spot fix + whole bumper clear while the bumper is ON the car, as opposed to pulling it?

I'm still very concerned that the color isn't going to match and will be noticeable to me when looking at the front of the car, and then it still leads me to being a bit bothered that this is the situation I'm currently in with the nearly brand new car - if only it was fixed by BMW at the VPC, I'm sure I never would've noticed and/or found out.

There does happen to be a new LBB M2C on the dealer's lot right now, and I'm very tempted to request that they swap my bumper with the one on their lot and deal with the minor paint fix on their inventory car - though I'm highly doubtful they'd agree to this, and who knows if there'd be a paint mismatch with the fenders from this other LBB example anyway.
Appreciate 0