ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Has any one else found that the CS MDM allows for more slip angle than the GTS MDM? This is by the scientific seat of the pants measurement by the way.
I have not tried the GTS MDM, but I do find the CS MDM to be quite permissive a low speeds (below 100km/h / 62 mph). Above that it gets closer and closer to full DSC as the speed increases.

I find the CS stock MDM to be much better and more refined than the Euro MDM I had coded on my 2015 M4. Still way too restrictive for dry track use though...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #24
calubi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
The grey boxes indicate esys doesn't identify an update for that portion the ECU in the calculated TAL. I went back and loaded the TAL originally executed and took a screenshot for you. Check the same boxes.
Awesome, thanks! I figured it was something like that, but wanted to confirm in case there really was something wrong with how I set things up. Last thing I want is to partially flash an incompatible part of firmware and brick the unit!

BTW, any reason to believe there would be any incompatibilities going all the way from 16-03-504 to 19-07-562 on these four ECUs without updating the others?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #25
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I have not tried the GTS MDM, but I do find the CS MDM to be quite permissive a low speeds (below 100km/h / 62 mph). Above that it gets closer and closer to full DSC as the speed increases.

I find the CS stock MDM to be much better and more refined than the Euro MDM I had coded on my 2015 M4. Still way too restrictive for dry track use though...
Well I have not tried the Euro MDM so can't comment on that but I do find that the diff coding for GTS feels like the rear finds the most traction, CS finds a lot and then turns a little hooligan with ZCP always wanting to act like a hooligan when pushed.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #26
calubi
Private First Class
Rep

In the guide, esys is configured to "Write VCM/MSM after TAL execution". Is this only needed for the istep update, or is it needed for VO coding too? I'm wondering if I can VO code the M4 CS settings to the relevant ECUs while still maintaining the F80 chassis code.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
calubi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calubi View Post
In the guide, esys is configured to "Write VCM/MSM after TAL execution". Is this only needed for the istep update, or is it needed for VO coding too? I'm wondering if I can VO code the M4 CS settings to the relevant ECUs while still maintaining the F80 chassis code.
Nevermind, I was looking at an older version of the guide. The latest version addressed this.

The good news is I was able to successfully flash to the latest istep for these ECUs and VO code the CS options. No faults after resetting EDC and GHAS, and the car feels good over a few mile test drive. The bad news is I have no idea how much of the change is due to CS coding! With such a jump in software versions, I'm not sure which parts are due to the CS coding, and which are just from the newer software. But in any case, the end result is good!

Thanks for the guide!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
vulpes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP

Quick question...

Why are two different versions of e-sys used in the guide?

Is it not possible just to use 3.28.1?

I'd be looking (for now) just to enable the CS EDC function.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #29
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpes View Post
Quick question...

Why are two different versions of e-sys used in the guide?

Is it not possible just to use 3.28.1?

I'd be looking (for now) just to enable the CS EDC function.

Thanks
The guidance I've seen for FXX software updates is use the latest version of e-sys to flash. The older version is used for FDL coding. I don't have access to a token to unlock FDL editing on version 3.33.4. If you Google 'Fxx-/Ixx-/Gxx-series Coding: (No Request) Latest Software Links', you will find a link to download 3.33.4 in the first post.
Appreciate 1
vulpes1.50
      01-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #30
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Having my f80 zcp flashed for gts dct, suspension, steering etc. Just looking for owners thoughts on the changes that it made that you actually felt.
      01-04-2020, 04:42 AM   #31
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 80

Manage to flash ghas and eps today, all verified.

When I verified dsc it still was stating f80.

Does anyone know if there are other salapa elements I need to remove as my car is non zcp?

Also anyone know how to code euro mdm?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #32
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Has anyone with a 2018 M3 ZCP tried these settings? Is there any real discerning difference with the CS settings?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #33
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
Having my f80 zcp flashed for gts dct, suspension, steering etc. Just looking for owners thoughts on the changes that it made that you actually felt.
I felt the steering immediately, much more natural. The suspension can't be GTS due to the hardware and the dct change is a huge change that makes it feel like a new car. MDM is less intrusive and the diff feels like it wants to find traction instead of being a hooligan. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #34
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
DIY: Code M3 ZCP to M4 CS steering, differential, DSC, and EDC settings

I don't have to sell you on the reasons why or why not to do this. I want the DIYer to be able to use M4 CS coding without expensive apps and adapters or charge per session remote coding. The coding community had most of the documentation online for those willing to search. Please try out the coding guide. It worked for my car, but this is a do at your own risk activity with zero warranty implied.

My car is a 6 speed, so I didn't get the opportunity to do a DCT flash. See https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1326049 for info on DCT/EGS coding.

Updates:
2019/12/31 - Added M4 GTS option codes. Reworded ECU update step for clarity. Provided screenshot with boxes to check for ECU update step.
2019/09/07 - Added option codes table and validations for M3 ZCP and M3 CS settings. Removed all VCM writes from coding procedures. Reduced number of steps required to code. Tested coding procedure with 2017 M3 ZCP, 2018 M3 CS, and 2019 M4 CS options.

Read the guide:
https://mega.nz/#!Sfh0kSRb!t2JAXQ4gi...RHXwHFHHpcvXlo
Thanks for putting the info together, that's very helpful.

Curious on one thing though, why does the psdzdata used have to be older than 03/2019? What's the issue with upgrading these modules to the latest version?

I know for the DME many people avoid upgrading to 03/2019+ as there are issues with tuning DMEs on these versions, but for the DSC, EDC etc I would love to know the reason for not updating to the newer versions as I'm having a hard time finding working links for Full psdzdata for 11/2018 or 07/2018 versions.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #35
Scott_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X5 35i, 16 F80 ZCP

I know it has been asked before, but I wanted to verify. I have other things coded like doors unlocking and windows up with the key fob, ect. Doing this coding wont effect any of that except overwriting eruo mdm?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #36
calubi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Thanks for putting the info together, that's very helpful.

Curious on one thing though, why does the psdzdata used have to be older than 03/2019? What's the issue with upgrading these modules to the latest version?

I know for the DME many people avoid upgrading to 03/2019+ as there are issues with tuning DMEs on these versions, but for the DSC, EDC etc I would love to know the reason for not updating to the newer versions as I'm having a hard time finding working links for Full psdzdata for 11/2018 or 07/2018 versions.
Huh... I missed that in the guide. I updated the four ECUs to 07/19 without issue. I hope I didn't screw anything up. It seems to be working okay, though I don't have a good baseline for how this change is "supposed" to feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #37
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
After decoding VINs for M3 CS and M4 CS models and VO coding the options, I found the settings for M3 CS are different than M4 CS.

DSC = Unique settings per model. M3 ZCP is F80_CP, M3 CS is F80, and M4 CS is F82_GTS. If M4 CS is coded, the TPMS is disabled.
EPS = M3 ZCP and M3 CS have the same value, "F80, F82, default". M4 CS is set to F82GTS
GHAS =M3 CS and M4 CS have the same value, F082GTS. The M3 ZCP is F080 + M_Competition / High is aktiv.
VDC = Unique settings per model. M3 ZCP is F80_Comp, M3 CS is F86_Comp, and M4 CS is F85_Comp.

I tried the M3 CS coding and didn't care for the steering weight. It was back to normal ZCP weight and I want the lighter steering weight from M4 CS/GTS coding. I also chose the M3 CS VDC/EDC specific coding. I haven't driven it yet to attempt to feel any differences. The guide has been updated with the option code information required to use these settings.
I wanted to check myself what the differences were for DSC, EPS, GHAS, and VDC/EDC between a civic M3 and the M3 CS codings and found slightly different results than those posted above.

The way I did it was by editing my FA file to M3 CS Type Code 8M93 and added 7ME and 9MR. I then used E-sys to generate an SVT file based on the edited FA. Using the generated SVT file I was able to generate CAFD files for DSC, EPS, GHAS, and VDC that would hypothetically be written to the car. Using the CAFD compare tool to compare civic M3 CAFD files and the generated M3 CS CAFD files, the GHAS and VDC changes it showed matched what you posted above. Example of VDC/EDC differences between civic M3 and M3 CS:

However, for EPS it showed me that "Variantcodierung Normal" would be coded to "F82GTS" and not F80, F82, Default. It also showed that there is another change under "Reserved_2_1", but not sure what that is:

For DSC I'm a bit unsure as I tried to generate the CAFD file multiple times each time trying something different but I kept getting an error message on the CAFD compare tool. So I used the generated CS CAFD file in the FDL editor on E-Sys and it showed that "C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e" would be coded to "UNK_PARAM_0" and not "F80". Out of Curiosity I checked in the editor what were the other options, and it showed F80, F80_CP, F80_CRT, F82, F82_CP, F82_GTS, F87, UNK_PARAM_1, UNK_PARAM_2, UNK_PARAM_3, UNK_PARAM_4. F80_CRT definitely caught my attention as I'm not aware that BMW made a F80 CRT. Eitherway below is the screenshot:

So as said, while I can't be 100% certain on the DSC changes for the M3 CS, but the EPS changes are showing me that it should be F82GTS just like the M4 CS changes and not F80, F82, Default.

If anyone has untampered M3 CS CAFD files or their FA and SVT Actual files that is willing to share with me, I'd be glad to confirm. Hope that helps.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 01-14-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #38
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
I wanted to check myself what the differences were for DSC, EPS, GHAS, and VDC/EDC between a civic M3 and the M3 CS codings and found slightly different results than those posted above.

The way I did it was by editing my FA file to M3 CS Type Code 8M93 and added 7ME and 9MR. I then used E-sys to generate an SVT file based on the edited FA. Using the generated SVT file I was able to generate CAFD files for DSC, EPS, GHAS, and VDC that would hypothetically be written to the car. Using the CAFD compare tool to compare civic M3 CAFD files and the generated M3 CS CAFD files, the GHAS and VDC changes it showed matched what you posted above. Example of VDC/EDC differences between civic M3 and M3 CS:

You can easily generate it using E-Sys.

However, for EPS it showed me that "Variantcodierung Normal" would be coded to "F82GTS" and not F80, F82, Default:

For DSC I'm a bit unsure as I tried to generate the CAFD file multiple times each time trying something different but I kept getting an error message on the CAFD compare tool. So I used the generated CS CAFD file in the FDL editor on E-Sys and it showed that "C_Variante_Fahrzeug_e" would be coded to "UNK_PARAM_0" and not "F80". Out of Curiosity I checked in the editor what were the other options, and it showed F80, F80_CP, F80_CRT, F82, F82_CP, F82_GTS, F87, UNK_PARAM_1, UNK_PARAM_2, UNK_PARAM_3, UNK_PARAM_4. F80_CRT definitely caught my attention as I'm not aware that BMW made a F80 CRT. Eitherway below is the screenshot:

So as said, while I can't be 100% certain on the DSC changes for the M3 CS, but the EPS changes are showing me that it should be F82GTS just like the M4 CS changes and not F80, F82, Default.

If anyone has untampered M3 CS CAFD files or an SVT Actual file that is willing to share with me, I'd be glad to confirm. Hope that helps.
You can easily generate it using E-sys
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #39
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
You can easily generate it using E-sys
Ummm, not sure which part of my post wasn't clear.

I'm aware you can generate the CAFD files using E-Sys "easily", and I did that, hence the screenshots of the comparisons. But the DSC CAFD file generated using E-Sys seems to be somewhat corrupt as it gives errors when I try to use in the compare tool. I tried generating it multiple times, same result. The other CAFD files generated for EPS, GHAS, and VDC worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #40
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I can’t find exactly what gave me the impression you couldn’t use newer data. I know I was being paranoid about locking out my DME from flash tunes over OBD port. I thought but haven’t found that M4 GTS software was removed after this as well. There shouldn’t be a problem flashing the ecus in the guide with newer software. The early version quoted was the first one with CS models present.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #41
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep

@BuLoOoSki what psdzdata version did you use when generating the cafd files that differ from the guide? I’d like to try that version and see if I get the same results you did. I would have stuck with full M3 CS coding had it not been for the EPS being exactly the same as my M3 CP with the version I used. The F82GTS EPS setting is so much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #42
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_S View Post
I know it has been asked before, but I wanted to verify. I have other things coded like doors unlocking and windows up with the key fob, ect. Doing this coding wont effect any of that except overwriting eruo mdm?
It will only affect settings on the ECUs that are coded. Euro MDM will be overwritten. The rest of those setting should be in body ECUs and shouldn't be affected by coding DSC, EPS, GHAS and VDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:39 PM   #43
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
@BuLoOoSki what psdzdata version did you use when generating the cafd files that differ from the guide? I’d like to try that version and see if I get the same results you did. I would have stuck with full M3 CS coding had it not been for the EPS being exactly the same as my M3 CP with the version I used. The F82GTS EPS setting is so much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #44
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I satisfied my curiosity tonight by updating to 4.17.30. The options were coded for M3CP, M3CS, and M4CS before and after the update. Before the update, switching to M3CS coding would result in the settings I originally recorded. After the update, they match what you calculated. The bonus is that C_Funktion_RDCi_l is set to aktiv with M3CS coding. No FDL editing required.

I'll update the guide to reflect actual values and suggest using recent psdzdata files.
Appreciate 0