R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

02-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #23
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individual F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I told you guys today lol.

The product I had coated into my rims is CS-II Nano-1 Alfa 45 Rim Coating. (google it). I had to get supremepower to get my rims/tires off so my detailer can completely coat it right. It's extremely cool just cleaning them, it's exactly like putting Opti-Coat or Modesta or CQ Quarts on your car but rims instead.

I can give you my detailer's contact info and he can do it. Just tell him my real name and he'll know who I am.
Sounds expensive lol. But probably well worth it once I finish my entire build or once I get to the point in my build where Rims and Tires come along I will probably have them coated before they are even mounted. I will also have to get the car clear bra's and coated with opti coat or c quarts or something soon lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:04 AM   #24
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I would love to wash my car every week but every time the weekend rolls around, it's forecasted as raining or it's too damn cold. I was going to ash this weekend but it turns out it'll rain tomorrow. Maybe I'll still wash it for the sake of washing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #25
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

When I first got the car it was every week, now I wash it every 3-4 weeks. If the forecast calls for rain within the next week I don't bother washing it, since it'll just get dirty anyways (no garage). Personally, I don't see a need to wash frequently unless there's something on the car that'll damage the paint.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #26
ptbarnacle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16- MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
Every 1-2 weeks. It's my bonding time, and like others I enjoy it. My new weekend ritual has been going to Rudy's on 620 and driving through the touchless car was on the most basic wash. Just soap and rinse. Then I wipe the wheels clean with microfiber towels (no cleaner needed since I clean them so often). Then I dry and shine the paint with Optimum Instant Detailer and a waffle-weave drying towel. Last: the windows with microfiber and Stoner's invisible glass. The inside doesn't need much attention since I don't drive it daily.

Finally, and my friends this step is critical, I get a coffee and a breakfast taco. Egg, spicy chop, potato, and jalapeņo. THAT is why my car is always clean.
I could get into that. All supplies in trunk and take care of detail items just after a touch less. Lots of tasty choices around our area to institute a positive reinforcement ritual. Plus I'm usually working weekends and would do this on less busy weekdays.

We live in a dusty environment so gentle washing or rinsing is needed at least every one to two weeks.
Whole family has light colored cars except for me. So mine always looks terrible even though I was regularly. If I go a month, it looks terrible.
M3 on order is now Mineral White- can't wait to go lighter again. Will still wash at least every one to two weeks. Park in the garage over night but work is outside and that is where our cars get dirty. I tried using a car cover when I was young, and even with youth it was too much work on a daily basis for me. But I will baby my M3 for quite a while.
      02-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #27
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbarnacle View Post
I could get into that. All supplies in trunk and take care of detail items just after a touch less. Lots of tasty choices around our area to institute a positive reinforcement ritual. Plus I'm usually working weekends and would do this on less busy weekdays.
Congrats on your soon to be new ///M. You're gonna love it! Here's the kit I bought (link below). You need a 2nd bucket if you're gonna do the two-bucket-method at home. If you're gonna drive through the car wash, then the bucket is handy for carrying the supplies in the trunk. I also mixed the Optimum No-Rinse with water and put it in a spray bottle for touch ups, or a wipe-down in the garage if it's just dusty.

Kit:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Pro-Kit...-Wax-Kit-P442/
Technique:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...imum-no-rinse/

Please post when you get your car and find a spot for your ritual. Rudy's is just so awesome. They have what is arguably the best touch free wash in Austin, and then it's also a gas station, a (good) BBQ joint, and a convenience store.
http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/locatio...stin%20-%20620
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
ptbarnacle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16- MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
Congrats on your soon to be new ///M. You're gonna love it! Here's the kit I bought (link below). You need a 2nd bucket if you're gonna do the two-bucket-method at home. If you're gonna drive through the car wash, then the bucket is handy for carrying the supplies in the trunk. I also mixed the Optimum No-Rinse with water and put it in a spray bottle for touch ups, or a wipe-down in the garage if it's just dusty.

Kit:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Pro-Kit...-Wax-Kit-P442/
Technique:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...imum-no-rinse/

Please post when you get your car and find a spot for your ritual. Rudy's is just so awesome. They have what is arguably the best touch free wash in Austin, and then it's also a gas station, a (good) BBQ joint, and a convenience store.
http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/locatio...stin%20-%20620
Cool. Thanks. I'll check it out. When my M3 arrives, I'll post some before and after wash pics as well as ritual dining.
      02-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #29
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohdBA View Post
No more than once a week. I believe that washing the car more than once a week would damage the paint condition
If your using the correct washing steps and clean washing supplies every time, it shouldn't be a concern.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #30
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I rarely wash it but I clean it every time I drive it. I use waterless wash and detail spray.

I do wash the wheels every 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #31
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Geez.. i feel guilty for not washing my car for nearly 2 months and every weekend its either freezing cold or raining. Considered taking it to a touchless wash but hesitated if the shadow line trim turns into white spots due to oxidation and also concerned about the high speed water activating the kick sensor
      02-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #32
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
E
But winter I will take it through the touchless car wash once every other week or weather dependent.
Did the touchless wash did any oxidation issues to the black shadow line trims ? or activate the kick sensor?
      02-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #33
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Haven't needed to wash it in months.
Luckily it's always garaged at home & work so I just use speed wipe quick detailer spray & MF towel 2-3 times a week.
      02-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #34
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Yeah I'm obsessed. With my M3 itself, with it's cleanliness, and also with Optimum No-Rinse. I cleaned my ///M Saturday (see breakfast taco story above) and it stayed garaged until yesterday. I must have parked next to a sprinkler at lunch and got dirty water spots. So this morning I wiped the whole car down with an extra plush microfiber cloth, and a spray bottle with ONR & water. The whole car looks detailed and amazing. I like ONR so much I've been known to tell perfect strangers about it if they ask about my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #35
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
3-4 times per week here. It helps to own a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #36
VitaminTee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Every other weekend for me, sometimes more. It's my hobby
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #37
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Call me lazy but I only like to wash my car in sunny 70 degree weather, with no forecast of rain for the rest of the week
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #38
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Washed it on Saturday for 3 hrs and out of that 2 hrs was spent on the wheels ...washed after 2 months and it's a big pain in cleaning the black rims , they don't look as shiny and clean as silver rims.

How long does it take for you guys to clean the rims? I am not the thw most skillful washer but clean them pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #39
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Washed it on Saturday for 3 hrs and out of that 2 hrs was spent on the wheels ...washed after 2 months and it's a big pain in cleaning the black rims , they don't look as shiny and clean as silver rims.

How long does it take for you guys to clean the rims? I am not the thw most skillful washer but clean them pretty good.
This is just Some of the items I use on the wheels, not everyone will agree or disagree...

I use wheel woolies and Griots regular wheel cleaner & heavy duty wheel cleaner. The wheel woolies are super soft and do not scratch up the black rims. Love the griots wheel cleaner!

http://www.amazon.com/ABN-WBMF-CKIT-.../dp/B005NRRNVO

Whenever I put a coat of wax on the car, I also apply it to the wheels. Makes them easier to clean.

I use collinite 845.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JK...YFL&ref=plSrch

Last edited by Coloradom3; 02-28-2016 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #40
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agedog2gt View Post
This is just Some of the items I use on the wheels, not everyone will agree or disagree...

I use wheel woolies and Griots regular wheel cleaner & heavy duty wheel cleaner. The wheel woolies are super soft and do not scratch up the black rims. Love the griots wheel cleaner!

http://www.amazon.com/ABN-WBMF-CKIT-.../dp/B005NRRNVO

Whenever I put a coat of wax on the car, I also apply it to the wheels. Makes them easier to clean.

I use collinite 845.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JK...YFL&ref=plSrch
I use wheel wollies but its taking lot of time to clean the wheels. I would expect it should not take me more than an hour to clean all wheels even if they are filthy and asking all washing gurus how long it takes them to clean
      02-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #41
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I use wheel wollies but its taking lot of time to clean the wheels. I would expect it should not take me more than an hour to clean all wheels even if they are filthy and asking all washing gurus how long it takes them to clean
I estimate it takes me about 20 minutes. Spray some APC on the tires, wheel cleaner on the wheels. Next circuit is hard bristle brush on tires, EZ Detail brush on wheels. And rinse off. Then I do the car. Last thing I do is the tire treatment when everything is dry, takes about 2 minutes. And every 3rd wash, I do Phil at DD's trick with the Tarminator on the tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #42
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
I estimate it takes me about 20 minutes. Spray some APC on the tires, wheel cleaner on the wheels. Next circuit is hard bristle brush on tires, EZ Detail brush on wheels. And rinse off. Then I do the car. Last thing I do is the tire treatment when everything is dry, takes about 2 minutes. And every 3rd wash, I do Phil at DD's trick with the Tarminator on the tires.
20 minutes on wheels even when its very dirty ? How often you wash? I dont use any brush on the wheels for fear of scratching, only wheel wollies and a sponge cleaner
      03-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #43
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

October - March every 4-5 weeks on average
April - September every 2 weeks on average

I drive about 7k miles a year. The car goes in a garage.

I vacuum and dry wipe (no chemicals) with each wash and clean the inside glass as well.

I use leathermasters 2-3 times during the sunny season and 1-2 during the sucky seasons.

My car has is fully covered with XPEL (even the trunk).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #44
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I wash once a week weather permitting.